Sensor cleaning??

I think every serious photographer should have the skills and proper tools to wet clean their own sensor. There is clear glass over the sensor so your not "touching" the actual sensor.

The product recommended by most camera manufacturers is photosol Eclipse solution and sensor swabs.

Now the weird part, I like using a HEPA vacuum/small shop vac on lowest power setting when cleaning my cameras and lenses, sucks out the dust rather than blowing it around. 🤔

Edited by dlmphotog
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

Now the weird part, I like using a HEPA vacuum/small shop vac on lowest power setting when cleaning my cameras and lenses, sucks out the dust rather than blowing it around. 🤔

REALLY!

Allan

It's great for those who have the confidence to do a wet clean on their sensors.  I think many moons ago I tried with from what I can remember was Eclipse and managed to wreck the sensor on my then D200.   Although I have an arctic butterfly and sensor loup, think have only used it once or twice and not recently.  Having spent £££ on my camera, I still prefer the expertise of somewhere like Fixation to clean my sensor when needed and pay £50 or however much it is.  Peace of mind is worth it for me😉

Carol

31 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

nd managed to wreck the sensor on my then D200

Crikey, do you mind saying what happened? I haven't had to do a wet clean but I'm led to believe that the 'glass' over the sensor is pretty tough.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I was probably extremely heavy handed at the time.  I remember I had spent hours looking how to do it and probably got a bit too carried away.  All I remember is that when I shot anything at F8 or over there was a huge score mark/line across every image. It definately wasn't the lens that was faulty as I used various lenses at the time.   Ended up selling the camera for parts at the time.  Lesson learned - for me anyway !

Carol

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

It's great for those who have the confidence to do a wet clean on their sensors.  I think many moons ago I tried with from what I can remember was Eclipse and managed to wreck the sensor on my then D200.   Although I have an arctic butterfly and sensor loup, think have only used it once or twice and not recently.  Having spent £££ on my camera, I still prefer the expertise of somewhere like Fixation to clean my sensor when needed and pay £50 or however much it is.  Peace of mind is worth it for me😉

Carol

I'm with you on this Carol. I find it hard enough to clean a lens satisfactorily without leaving smears, never mind a sensor. I wonder how closely those who clean their own sensors actually examine them during and after the cleaning and at what magnification.  Furthermore damage to the sensor or to the AA filter (if there is one) is also possible. And do-it-yourself wet sensor cleaning will normally invalidate any guarantee.

In relation to that, I had an interesting experience earlier this year with a D850 camera that I had purchased in Gray's of Westminster in late December 2017. Most unusually for me I took out an extended guarantee - actually a one year subscription to Nikon owner magazine for a very reduced price (£39) which included a 3 year guarantee on all new equipment purchased within the year. In January of this year, with the Nikon guarantee expired,  I noticed a small mark, like a faint scratch on many of  my images. One thing I always do is take pictures of sky at a small aperture immediately I get new equipment as a control measure. When I checked back I found that the mark had been there from the beginning although it had become more noticeable over time and it was only visible in some images. A clean in Fixation had no effect so I went back to Gray's with the camera and after some discussion they sent it back to Nikon for assessment. I was able to supply raw images from the first day I bought the camera as well as recent ones to compare. Eventually Nikon actually did the repairs and covered the cost themselves which was amazing as it was out of guarantee with Nikon. It would have still been covered under the Gray's guarantee but the bottom line here is that if I had done my own cleaning I may well have invalidated the guarantee. I was able to hold up my hands and honestly say that I had never gone near the sensor.

Edited by MDM

MDM - it sounds like you were unfortunate with your D850 but certainly fortunate in that it was sorted out eventually.  Also yes another lesson learned in that messing around with things may invalidate any guarantee and I should imagine that applies to a lot of things apart from cameras.  I have always had good service from Nikon and Fixation.  Also that's was a very good deal you got with the Nikon Owner Magazine 😉

Carol

Just now, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

MDM - it sounds like you were unfortunate with your D850 but certainly fortunate in that it was sorted out eventually.  Also yes another lesson learned in that messing around with things may invalidate any guarantee and I should imagine that applies to a lot of things apart from cameras.  I have always had good service from Nikon and Fixation.  Also that's was a very good deal you got with the Nikon Owner Magazine 😉

Carol

Yes for sure. I could have lived with the mark as it was not hard to clone out on images where it was visible but I decided to go for getting it repaired given that it had been there since I bought the camera, so all's well that ends well.

As for Nikon Owner Mag, well I have learnt massive amounts of stuff I didn't know about my gear since taking out the subscription. Part of the deal is the ability to download their entire archive. There is a guy who writes the technical section called Simon Stafford and he is an absolute mine of information and all Nikon specific. For example, some of the stuff I have learnt about autofocus has been really invaluable in my work and I thought I knew everything. I even took it out again this year at a reduced price again. Not sure if I will continue it as it is quite expensive but so far definitely worth it. I can't recommend Gray's highly enough in fact for excellent customer service and their new Nikon kit is generally the cheapest in the country (aside from the grey imports which they are now). 

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Interesting, do you mean a desktop lab vacuum pump, or simply a household vacuum cleaner with HEPA filters? Those desktop lab pumps seems to be very pricey.

I use a Festool CT Mini shop vac set on it's lowest power, very carefully...

3 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I was probably extremely heavy handed at the time.  I remember I had spent hours looking how to do it and probably got a bit too carried away.  All I remember is that when I shot anything at F8 or over there was a huge score mark/line across every image. It definately wasn't the lens that was faulty as I used various lenses at the time.   Ended up selling the camera for parts at the time.  Lesson learned - for me anyway !

Carol

It sounds like it was a smear/smug left on the sensor cover glass by the solution. This has happen to me. I had to use entire box of sensor swabs one time and they are not cheap but I did get the sensor cover glass clean.

I understand that wet cleaning is not for everyone and we all have to decide whats best for ourselves and our own comfort level.

Wet cleaning is not a spooky mystery that can only be done by a trained professional off site for a cost. It's a skill and like any skill it takes time to develop. IMHO you would have to work very hard and disregard directions to actually damage your camera. Take your time, take a break, repeat until clean and don't stress (to much) as the sensor is safe behind it's protective cover glass.

Like a tradesman that keeps his/hers tools sharp, clean and in good working order.

• Love 1

15 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

Wet cleaning is not a spooky mystery that can only be done by a trained professional off site for a cost. It's a skill and like any skill it takes time to develop. IMHO you would have to work very hard and disregard directions to actually damage your camera. Take your time, take a break, repeat until clean and don't stress (to much) as the sensor is safe behind it's protective cover glass.

Like a tradesman that keeps his/hers tools sharp, clean and in good working order.

Wet cleaning may not be a spooky mystery so I guess it's horses for courses in that there are those that feel confident enough to attempt it and those that prefer not to.  I choose to take mine to Fixation whenever any part of my camera needs attention, no way am I going to mess with it.  Likewise with anything Apple related. No way would I attempt to take them apart.   I have a fab authorised Apple Dealer who has sorted my Macs out when needed (you know who you are😉). 

As for keeping our tools of the trade in good working order, when I came to part ex some gear last year Park Cameras were so impressed with my gear, they increased the price they gave me 😉 

I have a Jessops close to me that I could go to for sensor cleaning but choose not to,  I still prefer Fixation, ok it's a train ride away but also gives me the chance to have a look around in there, the staff are great, there's an excellent greasy spoon down the road for coffee and/or bacon sarnies, what's not to like😉

Carol

I cleaned the sensors on all three cameras yesterday, lots of crud.

Simply used a blower and now there are only two or three spots left on each.

I can live with that.

Allan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Well done Allan, maybe this thread has got people sensor cleaning😃 but oh 2/3 spots left on each......😉

Carol

Thanks carol.😊    It would have probably taken a lot longer to shift the 2 or 3 and in the meantime letting more crud in.🙄

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Not read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the need to lock down the sensor before cleaning on mirrorless cameras with built in image stabilisation? I believe that you should select cleaning mode and leave the power on, as you would do with a DSLR.

I've wet cleaned several of my cameras' sensors and never had any problems. Not been needed to date on the a6500, maybe because self cleaning systems and coatings have greatly improved? To date I've only used a blower and that seems to do the trick.

Edited by Bryan

I thought I was going to have a major job today cleaning my Fujis sensor after processing a batch of images shot in a stubble field. I was genuinely shocked at how bad it was untill I noticed they seemed to move quite dramatically between shots, it took a while to click that I'd been cursing the swarms of flies whilst I was out 🤣 .

Im just glad I noticed before I dug the cleaning swabs out :)

2 hours ago, Bionic said:

I thought I was going to have a major job today cleaning my Fujis sensor after processing a batch of images shot in a stubble field. I was genuinely shocked at how bad it was untill I noticed they seemed to move quite dramatically between shots, it took a while to click that I'd been cursing the swarms of flies whilst I was out 🤣 .

Im just glad I noticed before I dug the cleaning swabs out :)

Talking of flies, reminds me of changing lenses in a Dartmoor ancient oak wood. Midges were eating me alive and I had to change lenses. I was dead worried some of the midges would enter the camera, but luckily they didn't.

If you put DSLR Sensor cleaning in the search engine  you will find some nice stock pictures. 

Now this is my question; is there an official sensor cleaning shirt and where do I get one?  😀

Edited by Mr Standfast
smiley in case not obvious humour
  • Love 1