I'm sure this question has been asked before but I don't recall anything recently to search for. Does QC differentiate between heat haze and interpolation artefacts? I have a photo that shows mild heat haze effects, e.g. on window frames, that might on a cursory glance be mistaken for interpolation artefacts. It's an unusual and difficult-to-obtain view of the subject so I would really like to submit it but I don't want to risk my 5-year QC pass record if it's going to be a definite no-no.

Alan

I failed QC for heat haze years ago, so I'm wary too.

Try downsizing to 3250 long side and see if it's still iffy.

I have a couple of heat haze shots on Alamy (long shots down a summer boardwalk). Of course, I don't know if QC looked at those images in particular, but I made sure I mentioned heat haze in the caption and keywords.

Search for heat haze and you get 5582 examples, so I think qc will see the difference between haze and artefacts. I like Bill's idea of mentioning it in the caption. Good luck!

Posted (edited)

QC, I've heard, do not look at captions or other information with the image. Understandable I suppose as it would add quite a bit of time in extra investigation.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
grammatical error

I had to delete a small number of images from a recent trip to Iceland because of heat haze, improbably. All shot at 200mm across a heather landscape on a sunny day - the ground must have warmed up quickly.

Alex

On 30/06/2019 at 15:49, spacecadet said:

I failed QC for heat haze years ago, so I'm wary too.

Try downsizing to 3250 long side and see if it's still iffy.

Thanks for that suggestion Mark. It's certainly improved the quality and it might just do the trick. I'm going to risk it anyway. It's only pride that makes me want to protect my QC record.

Alan

Presumably it passed Alan?

I recently uploaded W2AM9A taken with a short telephoto. The castle in the background and, in particular the sign to the left, show clear signs of heat haze wobble, but the front of the locomotive is clear.  Maybe the trick is to try to include a foreground object that isn't affected by the haze?