Jump to content

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, amycicconi said:

 

Right, thanks.  I'm more so worried about the risk of the install process and its affect on my current catalog.  I think I've sent this thread off topic though :(

I've changed versions without it affecting the catalogue. LR does any conversion that's required, as I recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

 

 

However if you want to process images across mac OS and IOS you need LRCC I believe. At least thats how I read the information on Adobes website.

 

Allan

 

 

That is incorrect Allan although it is certainly confusing with all the different options so it is understandable that you have misinterpreted the information. I run Lightroom Classic on my computer and I occasionally run Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone and iPad. Lightroom Mobile is a basic free app (get it from the App Store) which has add on features that you have to pay for unless you are a CC subscriber in which case you get the whole thing.

 

It is useful if I am doing a portrait shoot and I want to show a client what I am getting on my iPad without carrying a laptop around. Lightroom Mobile is quite advanced now - it can read and adjust raw files, for example, as well as allow some metadata inputting. Not a bad app at all and it does integrate with the desktop version if you want it to do so. I don't as I do all my editing on my computer.

 

For the sake of clarity, you do not have to be connected to the Creative Cloud to run either Lightroom Classic or Lightroom Mobile. 

 

Lightroom (CC) is what they introduced back in late 2017 and that is the one that  runs from the cloud - aimed primarily at casual photography. You can edit on both desktop and mobile devices with it as far as I know but the desktop version has far fewer feature than Lightroom Classic. I have not installed it and don't intend to. It is not recommended (by Adobe) to try to run Lightroom Classic and Lightroom (CC) together. 

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDM said:

 

That is incorrect Allan although it is certainly confusing with all the different options so it is understandable that you have misinterpreted the information. I run Lightroom Classic on my computer and I occasionally run Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone and iPad. Lightroom Mobile is a basic free app (get it from the App Store) which has add on features that you have to pay for unless you are a CC subscriber in which case you get the whole thing.

 

It is useful if I am doing a portrait shoot and I want to show a client what I am getting on my iPad without carrying a laptop around. Lightroom Mobile is quite advanced now - it can read and adjust raw files, for example, as well as allow some metadata inputting. Not a bad app at all and it does integrate with the desktop version if you want it to do so. I don't as I do all my editing on my computer.

 

For the sake of clarity, you do not have to be connected to the Creative Cloud to run either Lightroom Classic or Lightroom Mobile. 

 

Lightroom (CC) is what they introduced back in late 2017 and that is the one that  runs from the cloud - aimed primarily at casual photography. You can edit on both desktop and mobile devices with it as far as I know but the desktop version has far fewer feature than Lightroom Classic. I have not installed it and don't intend to. It is not recommended (by Adobe) to try to run Lightroom Classic and Lightroom (CC) together. 

 

Thanks, very helpful info.  I think I want Classic then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, amycicconi said:

 

Thanks, very helpful info.  I think I want Classic then.

 

 You definitely want Classic - it is basically the upgraded version of what you have. Adobe made things extremely confusing by changing the nomenclature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2019 at 19:30, amycicconi said:

OK, so I ordered a Fuji XT-2 with the 18-55 kit lens and received it today.  Walked around this evening and took about 40 shots around the neighborhood.

 

Earlier in the day I walked around the city at lunchtime with my RX100 II.

 

Am I nuts.....? but... I'm a bit underwhelmed with the sharpness of the XT-2.    The pics I took earlier in the day with RX100 II are PINPOINT crisp and detailed.  These shots out of the Fuji lack detail and crispness in comparison.  

 

I don't know.  Things are just so effortless with the RX100 and the output is just stellar.

 

Now I'm really confused.  ughhhhhhhhh.   Maybe I'd be happier and more carefree with an RX100 V and an RX100 VI paired for low light and zoom.

Very surprised. I came from a Nikon D800 to Fuji X-T1 kit (18-55) was shocked with the sharpness. I now have the X-T2 and am very pleased with it, too.

I shoot a lot with the Sony RX100-3 as my go-along. I have many images on Alamy from the RX-100-1 and the 3. I find as a general rule the Fuji is sharper, and often downsize the Sony images to gain sharpness.

That said, I will give up neither, since I’ve learned to develop images from each for best results.  You will, too.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MDM said:

 

That is incorrect Allan although it is certainly confusing with all the different options so it is understandable that you have misinterpreted the information. I run Lightroom Classic on my computer and I occasionally run Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone and iPad. Lightroom Mobile is a basic free app (get it from the App Store) which has add on features that you have to pay for unless you are a CC subscriber in which case you get the whole thing.

 

It is useful if I am doing a portrait shoot and I want to show a client what I am getting on my iPad without carrying a laptop around. Lightroom Mobile is quite advanced now - it can read and adjust raw files, for example, as well as allow some metadata inputting. Not a bad app at all and it does integrate with the desktop version if you want it to do so. I don't as I do all my editing on my computer.

 

For the sake of clarity, you do not have to be connected to the Creative Cloud to run either Lightroom Classic or Lightroom Mobile. 

 

Lightroom (CC) is what they introduced back in late 2017 and that is the one that  runs from the cloud - aimed primarily at casual photography. You can edit on both desktop and mobile devices with it as far as I know but the desktop version has far fewer feature than Lightroom Classic. I have not installed it and don't intend to. It is not recommended (by Adobe) to try to run Lightroom Classic and Lightroom (CC) together. 

 

Thank for putting me right again Mick.🙂

 

Allan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Thank for putting me right again Mick.🙂

 

Allan

Sorry Alllan - putting it like that maybe I should shut up 😀. But I felt it was appropriate and important here as it is incredibly confusing. The only way I figured it out was by actually doing it and even then I am not 100% clear about how it works. But the bottom line is that you don't have to use the new Lightroom CC to use Lightroom on mobile devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, MDM said:

 

That is incorrect Allan although it is certainly confusing with all the different options so it is understandable that you have misinterpreted the information. I run Lightroom Classic on my computer and I occasionally run Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone and iPad. Lightroom Mobile is a basic free app (get it from the App Store) which has add on features that you have to pay for unless you are a CC subscriber in which case you get the whole thing.

 

It is useful if I am doing a portrait shoot and I want to show a client what I am getting on my iPad without carrying a laptop around. Lightroom Mobile is quite advanced now - it can read and adjust raw files, for example, as well as allow some metadata inputting. Not a bad app at all and it does integrate with the desktop version if you want it to do so. I don't as I do all my editing on my computer.

 

For the sake of clarity, you do not have to be connected to the Creative Cloud to run either Lightroom Classic or Lightroom Mobile. 

 

Lightroom (CC) is what they introduced back in late 2017 and that is the one that  runs from the cloud - aimed primarily at casual photography. You can edit on both desktop and mobile devices with it as far as I know but the desktop version has far fewer feature than Lightroom Classic. I have not installed it and don't intend to. It is not recommended (by Adobe) to try to run Lightroom Classic and Lightroom (CC) together. 

 

Having trouble relating what you describe to this comparison chart on Adobe: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html?promoid=952G4WLC&mv=other

 

Does the Photography plan (20GB) allow you to house your catalog locally rather than in the cloud?  

 

*** Update, here is a good FAQ: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq/CCPp.html

 

 

Edited by amycicconi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly is confusing isn't it? The comparison table makes no reference to Lightroom (CC) which is what they called the new Cloud based 'app' offering when they launched it with great fanfare and the so-called Lightroom Plan (1TB) doesn't even include Lightroom Classic, like it's become some kind of poor relation. Still, they do state that they will support both types 'for the foreseeable future' which is kind of reassuring for Lightroom Classic users.

 

Lightroom Classic certainly means that you have your catalogs locally so I'm not entirely sure what you use your 20GB for, just casual cloud storage perhaps, or in conjunction with the mobile app perhaps. Hopefully MDM will explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amycicconi said:

 

Having trouble relating what you describe to this comparison chart on Adobe: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html?promoid=952G4WLC&mv=other

 

Does the Photography plan (20GB) allow you to house your catalog locally rather than in the cloud?  

 

*** Update, here is a good FAQ: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq/CCPp.html

 

 

 

Yes what you want is the 20GB Photography plan. Lightroom Classic comes with that and does everything your existing version does and a lot more (the word Classic is the key here). Don't worry. It will be fine. 😀

 

18 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Certainly is confusing isn't it? The comparison table makes no reference to Lightroom (CC) which is what they called the new Cloud based 'app' offering when they launched it with great fanfare and the so-called Lightroom Plan (1TB) doesn't even include Lightroom Classic, like it's become some kind of poor relation. Still, they do state that they will support both types 'for the foreseeable future' which is kind of reassuring for Lightroom Classic users.

 

Lightroom Classic certainly means that you have your catalogs locally so I'm not entirely sure what you use your 20GB for, just casual cloud storage perhaps, or in conjunction with the mobile app perhaps. Hopefully MDM will explain.

 

I think they would lose a huge amount of custom if they enforced the cloud version on everyone as it is not suited for the vast majority of professional to serious amateur photographers so I am not worried about that at the moment. If they ever do then I will be looking elsewhere although life without Photoshop is unimaginable. The 20GB allows you to store images that you sync between the mobile and desktop versions. As I explained above, there is a separate LR Mobile app which runs on phones and tablets and can be automatically set to sync with a local catalog on a computer. Complicated - yes until you use it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MDM said:

Complicated - yes until you use it. 

 

Cheers, dabbled with the mobile app but don't have a real use for it, I can see that it would be good for showing images to clients etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MDM said:

Sorry Alllan - putting it like that maybe I should shut up 😀. But I felt it was appropriate and important here as it is incredibly confusing. The only way I figured it out was by actually doing it and even then I am not 100% clear about how it works. But the bottom line is that you don't have to use the new Lightroom CC to use Lightroom on mobile devices.

 

Mick,  A misunderstanding has arisen. I did not "put it like that" as you think. If I had I would have written "Thank you for putting me right - again."

 

The - (dash) makes all the difference.

 

I have no objection to anyone correcting my statements (posts) if they are deemed to be false or misleading. I was giving the information as I saw it on Adobes website. I bow to your superior knowledge in this matter.

 

Allan

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Mick,  A misunderstanding has arisen. I did not "put it like that" as you think. If I had I would have written "Thank you for putting me right - again."

 

The - (dash) makes all the difference.

 

I have no objection to anyone correcting my statements (posts) if they are deemed to be false or misleading. I was giving the information as I saw it on Adobes website. I bow to your superior knowledge in this matter.

 

Allan

 

 

 

 

 

No worries Allan. I didn't misinterpret you and I was only joking but that doesn't always come across on forums. I do seem to be correcting things you say sometimes and don't want it to come across badly as I do value your friendship. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

 

No worries Allan. I didn't misinterpret you and I was only joking but that doesn't always come across on forums. I do seem to be correcting things you say sometimes and don't want it to come across badly as I do value your friendship. 😀

 

DITTO😃

 

Allan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2019 at 09:11, MDM said:

 

Yes what you want is the 20GB Photography plan. Lightroom Classic comes with that and does everything your existing version does and a lot more (the word Classic is the key here). Don't worry. It will be fine. 😀

 

 

 

Thanks for all the advice.  I've successfully upgraded my IOS to High Sierra, and signed up for and installed Lightroom Classic via Adobe.  All seems well!

 

I've also spent my first day carrying around the Fuji XT2 and lenses (18-55, 16, 55-230 and 10-24) and was truly pleased with how light the kit was to carry versus my old Nikon gear!

 

Interestingly, I found myself using the 16mm 1.4 most of the time.  Still need time to get used to the lenses and settle in with them all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2019 at 06:46, Harry Harrison said:

Lightroom Classic certainly means that you have your catalogs locally so I'm not entirely sure what you use your 20GB for, just casual cloud storage perhaps, or in conjunction with the mobile app perhaps. Hopefully MDM will explain.

 

I used my cloud storage for anything shot on my portable devices (Android phone, iPod Mini) and can bring those into my Lightroom Classic.  Nothing else gets synchronized or in cloud storage.  The photos I take on the portable devices generally get posted to social media.  So I have the portable apps on the phone and Mini for editing and then export them from Lightroom Classic to my posting folder.  I don't allow FB on my portable devices, though that would make posting marginally easier, I think.   I also delete a lot of them. 

 

With Lightroom Classic, the advice is to put the catalogs on your fastest local drive (on my Windows machine, that's on a SSD, even if the photo files themselves are stored on something slower (on that laptop, the photo files are stored on a 2 TB spinning drive that came with the machine). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I used my cloud storage for anything shot on my portable devices

Thanks, good to know that you can use it for anything, and in conjunction with the Lightroom Mobile app also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/07/2019 at 04:15, amycicconi said:

 

Thanks for all the advice.  I've successfully upgraded my IOS to High Sierra, and signed up for and installed Lightroom Classic via Adobe.  All seems well!

 

I've also spent my first day carrying around the Fuji XT2 and lenses (18-55, 16, 55-230 and 10-24) and was truly pleased with how light the kit was to carry versus my old Nikon gear!

 

Interestingly, I found myself using the 16mm 1.4 most of the time.  Still need time to get used to the lenses and settle in with them all!

 

Let us know how you get on with the X-T2 and the 18-55 - I'm (mostly) pleased with mine, but it does have a tendency to produce unsharp images from time to time - I think the AF can be slow, particularly if I don't use the additional battery pack to save weight when I'm walking

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks, good to know that you can use it for anything, and in conjunction with the Lightroom Mobile app also.

You can access phone and iPad cameras out of Lightroom Mobile (bottom left icon) and there's an Android camera app, Open Camera  that will share with Lightroom Mobile while the picture is displayed after shooting (shoots and exports DNG raw).   My iPad is just a bit too old for shooting raw, apparently (iPadMini IV).  Haven't gone looking for a alternative camera app in iOS.  My Android phone is a Huawei Y7 2018.  Some phones will shoot DNG raw; some apparently won't. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

You can access phone and iPad cameras out of Lightroom Mobile (bottom left icon) and there's an Android camera app, Open Camera  that will share with Lightroom Mobile while the picture is displayed after shooting (shoots and exports DNG raw).   My iPad is just a bit too old for shooting raw, apparently (iPadMini IV).  Haven't gone looking for a alternative camera app in iOS.  My Android phone is a Huawei Y7 2018.  Some phones will shoot DNG raw; some apparently won't. 

 

 

You can get an adapter to transfer raw files from an SD card direct to iPad and then import them into Lightroom mobile. You can also get an adapter to connect the camera directly using USB but I have not tried that. Might be useful with a camera that doesn't use SD cards such as the new Nikon mirrorless cameras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

You can get an adapter to transfer raw files from an SD card direct to iPad and then import them into Lightroom mobile. You can also get an adapter to connect the camera directly using USB but I have not tried that. Might be useful with a camera that doesn't use SD cards such as the new Nikon mirrorless cameras.

 

What I take on the Sony APSC and full frame cameras goes into Lightroom Classic and doesn't enter the cloud system or the mobile apps, but that would work for people who wanted to display photos on a larger iPad and distribute them through Adobe's cloud storage system.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

 

What I take on the Sony APSC and full frame cameras goes into Lightroom Classic and doesn't enter the cloud system or the mobile apps, but that would work for people who wanted to display photos on a larger iPad and distribute them through Adobe's cloud storage system.

 

 

Yes same here - I process my images on a computer.  I was just pointing out that it is possible to import raw images from a camera to an iPad, process them in Lightoom Mobile and even have them synchronise with a Lightroom Classic catalog on a computer (using Adobe cloud storage). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/07/2019 at 05:43, Alex Ramsay said:

 

Let us know how you get on with the X-T2 and the 18-55 - I'm (mostly) pleased with mine, but it does have a tendency to produce unsharp images from time to time - I think the AF can be slow, particularly if I don't use the additional battery pack to save weight when I'm walking

 

Alex

 

I am really pleased with the X-T2.  The 18-55 is OK - sometimes sharp other times not so sharp.  It also seems slow to focus to me.

 

I am really, really loving the 16mm 1.4.  I find myself using it quite a bit.

 

Not sure I'm set on the 18-55 as my general purpose walk around lens due to the average quality.  Might consider the 16-55 2.8 instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go another prime, try the 35mm f1.2. Wow. There is a newer, lighter 35 f2 out, but most Fuji shooters say the original renders best. I have it and love it. I will say this. My most used lens for stock is the 18-135. Unheralded, but great for travel. Stand in one spot and do wide, then zoom, 2 entirely different-looking pics. I often park in a lot and take shots of storefronts like this without having to zoom with my feet. I’d say 70% of my outdoor stock is with this lens. OK, I’m lazy. :D There is fairy dust with the 50-140. Not quite wide enough in some situations.

Betty

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.