Wondering about a combo of the RX100 V + Sony A6500 + a super wide and a telephoto?  Would I be happier with that instead of an RX100 V + RX100 VI..

Edited by amycicconi

22 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I wish there was a 12-35mm and a 24-135mm (eq) version.

Yes! And since we're having a design fantasy how about 24MP and a battery that will hold a charge better? 

Amy, I have the RX100-6 and an a6000 with the 10-18. Great!

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

<>

Amy, I have the RX100-6 and an a6000 with the 10-18. Great!

Edo

+1 for that combo. There's no 300mm (eq) for the Sony APS cameras anyway.

It would all come down to what your subjects are. And your market.

wim

Still digging.  Any opinions on the Fuji X-t30?

They seem to have a really nice range of lenses, many of which offer 2.8, that would allow me to cover the 8mm through 200ishmm range with 3 lenses.

Similar in body size to the RX100...

6 hours ago, amycicconi said:

Still digging.  Any opinions on the Fuji X-t30?

They seem to have a really nice range of lenses, many of which offer 2.8, that would allow me to cover the 8mm through 200ishmm range with 3 lenses.

Similar in body size to the RX100...

I'm very happy with fuji x-t10, in size it's bigger than the Sony compacts but you have the interchangeable lens flexibility. The primes are also small and fast. The standard zoom also goes down to f2.8. There's loads of attitude in the raw files and the jpegs stand up well on their own. Fuji film regularly update their range and run out models can be found for silly money.

On 27/04/2019 at 18:41, Chuck Nacke said:

Sas,

I am not a fan of SONY, even though they make most of the sensors in modern digital cameras.

I would suggest a 12+MP Canon g series pocket cameras.  I started with the G-2 and currently keep

a G-9 in the glove compartment of my car.  The G series are great "grab and go digitals" they can

also be had for very little money.

Chuck

I’ll second that on the Canon G range.  I’ve had the Gx9 mkii for a couple of years and about half my sales are from it, the other half being from a Canon 6D. The quality’s great and its neat and compact. I recently got a second hand one for my teenager for £200ish.

6 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

I'm very happy with fuji x-t10, in size it's bigger than the Sony compacts but you have the interchangeable lens flexibility. The primes are also small and fast. The standard zoom also goes down to f2.8. There's loads of attitude in the raw files and the jpegs stand up well on their own. Fuji film regularly update their range and run out models can be found for silly money.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to study the Fujis in more detail!

4 hours ago, ACC said:

I’ll second that on the Canon G range.  I’ve had the Gx9 mkii for a couple of years and about half my sales are from it, the other half being from a Canon 6D. The quality’s great and its neat and compact. I recently got a second hand one for my teenager for £200ish.

Oh - thanks for this lead - I will definitely study these Canons!

When I think about adding a smaller, go-anywhere camera, I'm bothered by the fact that most of them have fairly dismal battery life. Also, I usually don't think of it as a completely separate bag but rather something to add to my main kit, something to use when I want a smaller, lighter, less conspicuous, (semi-)pocketable camera on occasion. Dismal battery life means carrying several batteries plus their dedicated charger, and calculating the weight of the camera must include their weight and bulk as well.

My main camera is a Fuji X-T2. The small Fuji cameras that use the same batteries and chargers are any of the XE models, X-T20/30 and the X-100F (not earlier X-100 models). The fact of sharing batteries with my primary gear is a huge plus vs. Sony and other alternatives.

Edited by DDoug
correction

46 minutes ago, alexandersr said:

These cameras are very expensive, some suggestions for people who live in third world like me. I live in Venezuela.

The latest RX100's are way out of my price range as well, especially with today's low image prices. However, I've seen some good deals on used RX100 I and II versions here in Canada and on ebay.

I hope things are improving in Venezuela. It's a beautiful country.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

The latest RX100's are way out of my price range as well, especially with today's low image prices. However, I've seen some good deals on used RX100 I and II versions here in Canada and on ebay.

I hope things are improving in Venezuela. It's a beautiful country.

Thanks, i hope so! . It's still very expensive for my budget. I use a Canon XT or 350D, but its a little big for hide in some situations in the street. I have compact cameras such as Nikon L18 and Canon A810 in some situations are not so good. Venezuela critical situation is getting harder every day, in all ways.

18 minutes ago, alexandersr said:

Thanks, i hope so! . It's still very expensive for my budget. I use a Canon XT or 350D, but its a little big for hide in some situations in the street. I have compact cameras such as Nikon L18 and Canon A810 in some situations are not so good. Venezuela critical situation is getting harder every day, in all ways.

Yes, I understand. I visited Venezuela in 2003 when the political and economic situations were much better, but even then I didn't feel safe photographing in parts of Caracas. I also spent time in Canaima National Park and on Los Roques islands, both beautiful places. I wish I had been able to visit some other areas. It's too dangerous now, unfortunately. Ten cuidado.

17 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, I understand. I visited Venezuela in 2003 when the political and economic situations were much better, but even then I didn't feel safe photographing in parts of Caracas. I also spent time in Canaima National Park and on Los Roques islands, both beautiful places. I wish I had been able to visit some other areas. It's too dangerous now, unfortunately. Ten cuidado.

Muchas gracias! 

• 4 weeks later...

After a lot of research, I was really leaning towards the Fuji X-T30 to replace my Nikon D7100.  My impetus to switch is just to go much lighter weight for the bulk of my photography, which is travel.

However, I think I'm actually leaning more towards the Fuji X-T2, even though it's a bit bigger, as it's more of a pro level, weather sealed, higher quality build, and its price right now has dropped a lot since it's -1 gen.  And most people who review it seem in love with it in terms of both aesthetics and quality.  I'm going to build a kit as follows, I think

• Fuji 10-24/4
  • Fuji 18-55/2.8-4
  • Fuji 50-230/4.5-6.7 (not the fastest of lenses, but, its super lightweight (plastic) and I shoot much less telephoto than wide, so it should do)
  • Rokinon 12mm/2.0 (not sure this is necessary, but it's cheap and I shoot a lot of wide)

Overall the kit would weigh around 4 lbs, versus what I typically carry which is around 6.75 pounds.  Is saving 2.75 going to feel a lot different to make it worth it?  I figure also just in bulk size I'll have a smaller overall footprint due to smaller camera and lens size.

I feel a little nervous as to whether these lenses are fast enough, but.... but all 3 Fuji lenses have OIS and plus I figure the Fuji should perform fairly well in low light.

Of course I'll still have my Sony RX100 II for low light.  Oops, hadn't added that to my kit weight..

What do you think of my logic?  :)  I figure when walking around when traveling, I'll have the camera/w lens, and then hopefully a pretty small bag for the additional lenses, or even just a waist pack.  Or, I guess I could keep using my Shootsac, it's pretty lightweight.

It's unfortunate that I have nowhere local to try one of these hands on.  I suppose I could always return to B&H if I don't like it.  I hate to sink the money into renting one + lenses.

Edited by amycicconi

39 minutes ago, amycicconi said:

After a lot of research, I was really leaning towards the Fuji X-T30 to replace my Nikon D7100.  My impetus to switch is just to go much lighter weight for the bulk of my photography, which is travel.

However, I think I'm actually leaning more towards the Fuji X-T2, even though it's a bit bigger, as it's more of a pro level, weather sealed, higher quality build, and its price right now has dropped a lot since it's -1 gen.  And most people who review it seem in love with it in terms of both aesthetics and quality.  I'm going to build a kit as follows, I think

• Fuji 10-24/4
  • Fuji 18-55/2.8-4
  • Fuji 50-230/4.5-6.7 (not the fastest of lenses, but, its super lightweight (plastic) and I shoot much less telephoto than wide, so it should do)
  • Rokinon 12mm/2.0 (not sure this is necessary, but it's cheap and I shoot a lot of wide)

Overall the kit would weigh around 4 lbs, versus what I typically carry which is around 6.75 pounds.  Is saving 2.75 going to feel a lot different to make it worth it?  I figure also just in bulk size I'll have a smaller overall footprint due to smaller camera and lens size.

I feel a little nervous as to whether these lenses are fast enough, but.... but all 3 Fuji lenses have OIS and plus I figure the Fuji should perform fairly well in low light.

Of course I'll still have my Sony RX100 II for low light.  Oops, hadn't added that to my kit weight..

What do you think of my logic?  :)  I figure when walking around when traveling, I'll have the camera/w lens, and then hopefully a pretty small bag for the additional lenses, or even just a waist pack.  Or, I guess I could keep using my Shootsac, it's pretty lightweight.

It's unfortunate that I have nowhere local to try one of these hands on.  I suppose I could always return to B&H if I don't like it.  I hate to sink the money into renting one + lenses.

Actually, I think I'll remove the Rokinon and add the Fuji 23mm/F1.4

4 hours ago, amycicconi said:

• Fuji 10-24/4
  • Fuji 18-55/2.8-4

As a Fujifilm lens user (and buyer) I'll warn you now. It's a bit like Pokemon go, you gotta catch them all...

You  don't mention the 18-135. Yes its heavy and bulky but twinned with an X-T2 its a weather resistant combination. I have one and it's the only superzoom I have

kept. It would be the simplest combination possible, almost a travel zoom bridge camera thingy.

The x-T2 is a sound choice, previous generation Fuji's are bargains.

The 18-55 is very useable, if I could ony have one lens, it would have to be this one.

The 50-230 is better than it should be, but since the 18-135 arrived it stays at home a lot.

As for finding a standard(ish) prime, this could get addictive.

Walking around with my X-T10 and the 23mm f2.0 is a treat, a tiny little retro kit that is discrete and very capable. I often wander around with this combination and the 50mm f2.0 in a pocket. Hoever the  little pancake lens is nice and that usually sits on my X-M1 as a pocket camera. If a very fast lens is a must, then the 35mm f1.4 will separate foregrounds from background a bit more tha the fast 23mm. The lens cap falls of the 35mm a bit too easily, very frustating until I picked up someone elses...

As for a  bag, a small rucksack style bag where the weight is evenly distributed will be thanked by your back in later years; and finally; don't forget to budget for "some" batteries.

Have fun!

Last year thanks to advice from Allan Bell and others I decided to go for the Sony RX100 MK1 - yes they still do the Mk1 !  Been very pleased with it, it's a great little camera and I carry it with me all the time.  The only thing I struggle with is no viewfinder when it's very bright but I knew that when I got it.  I wanted a cheap functional little camera and it's exactly that.  I'm always quite surprised with the results😉.

Carol

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

As a Fujifilm lens user (and buyer) I'll warn you now. It's a bit like Pokemon go, you gotta catch them all...

You  don't mention the 18-135. Yes its heavy and bulky but twinned with an X-T2 its a weather resistant combination. I have one and it's the only superzoom I have

kept. It would be the simplest combination possible, almost a travel zoom bridge camera thingy.

The x-T2 is a sound choice, previous generation Fuji's are bargains.

The 18-55 is very useable, if I could ony have one lens, it would have to be this one.

The 50-230 is better than it should be, but since the 18-135 arrived it stays at home a lot.

As for finding a standard(ish) prime, this could get addictive.

Walking around with my X-T10 and the 23mm f2.0 is a treat, a tiny little retro kit that is discrete and very capable. I often wander around with this combination and the 50mm f2.0 in a pocket. Hoever the  little pancake lens is nice and that usually sits on my X-M1 as a pocket camera. If a very fast lens is a must, then the 35mm f1.4 will separate foregrounds from background a bit more tha the fast 23mm. The lens cap falls of the 35mm a bit too easily, very frustating until I picked up someone elses...

As for a  bag, a small rucksack style bag where the weight is evenly distributed will be thanked by your back in later years; and finally; don't forget to budget for "some" batteries.

Have fun!

Thanks for engaging in this conversation, Mr. Standfast.

The reason I didn't mention the 18-135 is because I have a crappy but long Nikon 70-300 now which I worry I would miss a longer range.  But would I *really*?  That's why I was suggesting the 50-230, and also because it's super super light.  I suppose if I carried only the 18-135 instead of the 50-230/18-55 combo that's overall saving weight..

Yeah, I'm thinking I do want a pancake lens as well. Maybe the 23/2.0 makes sense.  Or the 18/2.0?

As far as Pokemon style gotta get em all, yes, my tendency will be to keep buying more lenses over time I am sure of it.

Maybe what I should do is start out with the optimum kit for my fall travel, which is to Las Vegas and Zion National Park.  So, lots of need for wide/ultra wide, both in Vegas and especially for Zion, probably something like the 18-55 for Vegas walking around, probably less need for a superzoom like the 50-230 (which is cheapish, I can easily add it later).

My photo habits, as I said, are mainly focused on travel.  So, I shoot wide (landscapes, buildings) a lot, street photos, and sometimes low light inside museums or interiors.

Oh, and I'm also torn between the 23/1.4 or the 16/1.4 for the low light fall back, but am leaning towards the 16 due to its close focus abilities.

Such a tough decision making process!!

1 hour ago, amycicconi said:

Thanks for engaging in this conversation, Mr. Standfast.

The reason I didn't mention the 18-135 is because I have a crappy but long Nikon 70-300 now which I worry I would miss a longer range.  But would I *really*?  That's why I was suggesting the 50-230, and also because it's super super light.  I suppose if I carried only the 18-135 instead of the 50-230/18-55 combo that's overall saving weight..

Yeah, I'm thinking I do want a pancake lens as well. Maybe the 23/2.0 makes sense.  Or the 18/2.0?

As far as Pokemon style gotta get em all, yes, my tendency will be to keep buying more lenses over time I am sure of it.

Maybe what I should do is start out with the optimum kit for my fall travel, which is to Las Vegas and Zion National Park.  So, lots of need for wide/ultra wide, both in Vegas and especially for Zion, probably something like the 18-55 for Vegas walking around, probably less need for a superzoom like the 50-230 (which is cheapish, I can easily add it later).

My photo habits, as I said, are mainly focused on travel.  So, I shoot wide (landscapes, buildings) a lot, street photos, and sometimes low light inside museums or interiors.

Oh, and I'm also torn between the 23/1.4 or the 16/1.4 for the low light fall back, but am leaning towards the 16 due to its close focus abilities.

Such a tough decision making process!!

I find with too many lenses it is difficult to know which to take and which to leave behind so that my kit bag is not too heavy. That is why I fixated on the little Sony RX100 and the mk3 too.

I still use the larger Sony bodies and the lenses to go with them but do not take more than three lenses at any one time.

Allan

OK, so I ordered a Fuji XT-2 with the 18-55 kit lens and received it today.  Walked around this evening and took about 40 shots around the neighborhood.

Earlier in the day I walked around the city at lunchtime with my RX100 II.

Am I nuts.....? but... I'm a bit underwhelmed with the sharpness of the XT-2.    The pics I took earlier in the day with RX100 II are PINPOINT crisp and detailed.  These shots out of the Fuji lack detail and crispness in comparison.  

I don't know.  Things are just so effortless with the RX100 and the output is just stellar.

Now I'm really confused.  ughhhhhhhhh.   Maybe I'd be happier and more carefree with an RX100 V and an RX100 VI paired for low light and zoom.

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Just wondering if you were shooting RAW or jpegs in case it was a jpeg processing/sharpness thing.

Actually I was just shooting jpegs.  I didn't realize that that would make that significant of an impact on image sharpness?  I will do some experimentation today with RAWs.  Thank you