On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:20, wiskerke said:

It depends on what sort of action. The MkV; Va and VI all do a continuous drive of 24 fps. There are not a whole lot of dslr sports cams that do that.

The Sony A9 is the only full frame body that comes close.

With the 24 fps I do see the VR at work though, which means that some of those 24 frames can be blurred.

The 24 fps also means stacking is an option. It will not deliver much improvement in resolution, you will need bigger glass and sensor for that, as it has always been. But it will improve the signal to noise ratio.

The downside: it's eating 128GB cards for breakfast.

wim

edit: I've just watched this Tony Northrup video about stacking and it sums up pretty much all, if you watch closely. I'm not sure if I agree with the tapping though. He also does run into problems with aligning without offering a solution. I don't have the solution for that either btw, but layer order and removing less sharp images are important.

So I'm gathering that it isn't great for action shots.  I'm thinking of people in motion, running and leaping dogs and cats mostly.  I'm wondering what the 24fps is useful for - where does it come into its own? 

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:43, NYCat said:

The grip just adds a small bump for your fingers. Otherwise you just have a flat, smooth surface. It does help in holding the camera steady. The steadiness is a bit of a difficulty with this tiny camera. The larger DSLRs are actually easier in that respect for me.

Paulette

So would a grip be easily removable, or is it permanent once fixed on?

1 hour ago, Sas said:

So I'm gathering that it isn't great for action shots.  I'm thinking of people in motion, running and leaping dogs and cats mostly.  I'm wondering what the 24fps is useful for - where does it come into its own? 

With all those things you mention. But it is not a sports camera. So most issues will be with an accurate and fast auto focus behavior.

Here are some AF test images with the mkVI.

In the US it's $72 to rent a VI for a week. Maybe someone rents these out in the UK?

wim

• Like 1

On 29/04/2019 at 21:04, Sas said:

So how many fave settings can you program in?

On my Sony RX100 Mk3 I can save one complete set of settings. The official manuals are available for free download online if you want to take a closer look at the functionality. For example here.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/compact-cameras-dsc-rx-series/dsc-rx100#manuals

Update: - Correction you can save 3 complete sets of settings in M1, M2 and M3.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sas said:

The official Sony AGR2 grip is self-adhesive. I've no idea if it's easy to remove, I've never tried and wouldn't want to remove it anyway. It just feels like it should have been there right from the start. You can see what it looks like when fitted by looking at the pictures on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Sony-AGR2-Attachment-Grip-Black/dp/B00KOUIBRU/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sony+rx100+grip&qid=1556775290&s=gateway&sr=8-3

NB. If you fit this grip the camera will no longer fit in this Sony case.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-LCJRXF-Premium-Jacket-Black/dp/B00KOUIC0Q/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sony+rx100+case&qid=1556775594&s=gateway&sr=8-3

So don't buy both!

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sas said:

According to Amazon reviewers it will come off, dental floss is a neat trick, but as Mark says no-one seems to see any reason why you would want to take it off:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx35SWUTMJGWB1J/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

According to Amazon reviewers it will come off, dental floss is a neat trick, but as Mark says no-one seems to see any reason why you would want to take it off:

On the other hand, I've found no reason to put it on. 

I may well be in the minority with this, but I use the popup EVF all the time . . . except when I'm sitting in a restaurant doing tabletop food shots. The back screen works best for that. If you are walking around using the screen to frame and focus, you have to hold the camera away from your body. And that's when the Sony grip becomes important. I always put my hand through the wrist strap before any use. I lean back a few inches so that the camera is positioned over the bulk of my body and I press the camera against my face. I don't need a grip for that.

Perhaps many of you feel that you are being svelt by using the back screen. Nah. What you are doing is losing the visual intimacy and details you get when looking through a viewfinder. 

My own svelt comes from "the power to cloud men's minds so they cannot see me." I become invisible. Yes, it's magic. 

Before someone calls the men in the white coats, perhaps I should explain my "magic."  Back in the long ago, I was an actor for a time and I took some classes on Method Acting, the Stanislavski Method. No, I don't actually become invisible. I'm just able to convince myself that is true (acting true).

Hmmm. Maybe you guys should just buy the grip.

Edo

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't actually become invisible. I'm just able to convince myself that is true (acting true).

Certainly I know that if I'm feeling at all self-conscious then the whole street turns to look at me. I sometimes think I should just put on a fluorescent jacket, a hard hat and carry a clipboard.

10 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Certainly I know that if I'm feeling at all self-conscious then the whole street turns to look at me. I sometimes think I should just put on a fluorescent jacket, a hard hat and carry a clipboard.

The fluorescent jacket is a perfect invisibility cloak. I don't have the clipboard and don't use the hard hat.

wim

These small RX100 series pretty much makes you invisible. 

Once when I was shooting my honking Nikon mounted on my monopod in a public busy place, I can’t tell you how many people came up to me asking if I was a pro, or asking if I was with the newspaper. It didn’t help that my teenaged grandson was carrying my bag for me like an assistant might. He had his own Nikon but nobody considered asking him those questions. He had two bags over his shoulders and a camera. 😁 That screamed assistant.

Seniorhood can be a cloak, too. Darn it.

Betty

I'm reading this thread with interest because I want to upgrade my sony rx100 (M1) and was curious to see what others are using for compact cameras.  Both the rx100 models and the a6000 appear to be on sale at the moment.  I hadn't originally considered the a6000 but I now am given it's better dynamic range and IQ than the rx100.  And at the moment a kit with the sony a6000 and two lenses (16-50 and 55-210) is the same price as the sony rx100 M3  ($850.00 here).

Are there any other thoughts on the a6000 and those lenses?    I have a Nikon that I use otherwise but I don't always want to carry around the weight.

Maria

As I've said, Maria, I have both the RX100-6 and the a6000. The a6000 is very user-friendly and lightweight, but it's not a pocket camera like the RX100s. For my a6000 I have the 10-19 wide zoom, the budget but sharp 28-70 (thanks, Wim) and a 50 f/1.8 prime. So my views go from 15 to 105. Consider that I'm a city shooter. I don't usually need a long reach. I don't like the look of that 55-210. Too slow. 

Edo

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

As I've said, Maria, I have both the RX100-6 and the a6000. The a6000 is very user-friendly and lightweight, but it's not a pocket camera like the RX100s. For my a6000 I have the 10-19 wide zoom, the budget but sharp 28-70 (thanks, Wim) and a 50 f/1.8 prime. So my views go from 15 to 105. Consider that I'm a city shooter. I don't usually need a long reach. I don't like the look of that 55-210. Too slow. 

Edo

Thanks for the helpful info Edo.

Maria

On 01/05/2019 at 21:41, wiskerke said:

With all those things you mention. But it is not a sports camera. So most issues will be with an accurate and fast auto focus behavior.

Here are some AF test images with the mkVI.

In the US it's $72 to rent a VI for a week. Maybe someone rents these out in the UK?

wim

Thanks, that’s helpful.  I wouldn’t go for the  V1 though as too slow.  Ideally the V but still a bit costly so might need to go for the 1V.  

On 02/05/2019 at 06:31, M.Chapman said:

On my Sony RX100 Mk3 I can save one complete set of settings. The official manuals are available for free download online if you want to take a closer look at the functionality. For example here.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/compact-cameras-dsc-rx-series/dsc-rx100#manuals

Mark

On 02/05/2019 at 06:31, M.Chapman said:

Mark

Thanks Mark!

On 02/05/2019 at 09:54, Ed Rooney said:

On the other hand, I've found no reason to put it on. 

I may well be in the minority with this, but I use the popup EVF all the time . . . except when I'm sitting in a restaurant doing tabletop food shots. The back screen works best for that. If you are walking around using the screen to frame and focus, you have to hold the camera away from your body. And that's when the Sony grip becomes important. I always put my hand through the wrist strap before any use. I lean back a few inches so that the camera is positioned over the bulk of my body and I press the camera against my face. I don't need a grip for that.

Perhaps many of you feel that you are being svelt by using the back screen. Nah. What you are doing is losing the visual intimacy and details you get when looking through a viewfinder. 

My own svelt comes from "the power to cloud men's minds so they cannot see me." I become invisible. Yes, it's magic. 

Before someone calls the men in the white coats, perhaps I should explain my "magic."  Back in the long ago, I was an actor for a time and I took some classes on Method Acting, the Stanislavski Method. No, I don't actually become invisible. I'm just able to convince myself that is true (acting true).

Hmmm. Maybe you guys should just buy the grip.

Edo

I like your take, Edo and a very valid point.  Plus, a reason to not need one because it will make it a bit bulkier too! 😉

2 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

The most important question for me is... can you put a polarizing filter on it?

For that you need to put an adapter on it. Mine are from Lensmate. But there are other brands and solutions, including Sony's own.

I started out making my own like this one.

However I see no need for them anymore. I have used those for filters; close-up lenses; lens shades and wide and tele converters (1; 2), but now we have 24mm all the way to 200mm (ff equivalent). (Initially it was 28-100mm on the mk1 and 2.) Darkening of the sky is much easier and more controlled in post. The lens is not very flare prone. Just for looking through a window or a fish in a pond, one can easily hold a filter in front of the lens with 2 fingers. The RX100 is small enough.

wim

1 hour ago, MariaJ said:

Is this the 28-70 mm lens that is being recommended for the Sony a6000? 

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/camera-lenses/sel2870

Thanks.

Yes. not for that price obviously. Shops often have the lens new in bubble wrap, left from ff kits. New ff owners often upgrade their system quickly after trying legacy lenses with adapters. Or trying the lenses of their other ff brand.

Going rate for open box is around $200 or less. Brand new around $225 with free shipping in the US.

Here is the previous discussion.

wim

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Yes. not for that price obviously. Shops often have the lens new in bubble wrap, left from ff kits. New ff owners often upgrade their system quickly after trying legacy lenses with adapters. Or trying the lenses of their other ff brand.

Going rate for open box is around $200 or less. Brand new around $225 with free shipping in the US.

Here is the previous discussion.

wim

Thanks Wim.  I wasn't sure given it was the same lense that was discussed as a relatively inexpensive lens.    The price is definitely higher in Canada, and it's difficult to find.  One camera store sells it online (for $529) but it is special order and not returnable (!).  I did see it for $US 398 from American retailers, but with the exchange rate and duty, it's not a better price.

I'm wanting to upgrade from my original rx100 model and I'm still trying to decide between the a6000 and one of the newer versions of rx100.   The rx100s are definitely pricier than the a6000 body, but I'm not sure about which lens to get with the a6000.

1 hour ago, MariaJ said:

Thanks Wim.  I wasn't sure given it was the same lense that was discussed as a relatively inexpensive lens.    The price is definitely higher in Canada, and it's difficult to find.  One camera store sells it online (for $529) but it is special order and not returnable (!).  I did see it for $US 398 from American retailers, but with the exchange rate and duty, it's not a better price.

I'm wanting to upgrade from my original rx100 model and I'm still trying to decide between the a6000 and one of the newer versions of rx100.   The rx100s are definitely pricier than the a6000 body, but I'm not sure about which lens to get with the a6000.

Have you looked on Ebay? $200 US would mean around $260 CAN. $529 looks to be the Sony introduction/set price.

Here in Europe the prices are like 10-15% higher than the US ones, which is lower than expected, given our VAT/sales tax is around 20%.

Do people in Canada still buy full price stuff in High Street shops? This lens is US $211,00 US with free shipping even from Korea. 182 sold it says on Ebay.

wim

• Like 1

Maria, I bought my 28-70 in Montreal. I forget what I paid but it was more than I could have gotten it for at MPB in New York. That zoom doesn't get a lot of work but it's there when I need it. 

Edo

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 23:33, MariaJ said:

I'm reading this thread with interest because I want to upgrade my sony rx100 (M1) and was curious to see what others are using for compact cameras.  Both the rx100 models and the a6000 appear to be on sale at the moment.  I hadn't originally considered the a6000 but I now am given it's better dynamic range and IQ than the rx100.  And at the moment a kit with the sony a6000 and two lenses (16-50 and 55-210) is the same price as the sony rx100 M3  ($850.00 here).

Are there any other thoughts on the a6000 and those lenses?    I have a Nikon that I use otherwise but I don't always want to carry around the weight.

Maria

I'm a non-perfectionist on a tight budget, so I use both the 16-50 and 55-210 kit lenses with my a6000, which is a terrific little camera IMO. You have to be a bit careful with the 16-50, but it can produce very good images. For me its compactness makes up for its idiosyncrasies. The 55-210 is slow, but it too delivers good results in bright lighting. It's especially sharp at shorter focal lengths but fine at full extension as well. The two-lens deal sounds good to me. I find that the a6000 and two lenses fit nicely into a small Tamrac bag that I bought centuries ago. However, it's definitely not a mini-package like the RX100's. I don't own a DSLR any longer, so the a6000 is my main camera.

Personally, I'd find a 28-70 (42mm-105mm equivalent) frustrating on an APS-C camera because I tend to use wide angle settings a lot. Kerrisdale Cameras often has used Sony 28-70's for around $200. I guess people get them with their a7's and then trade them in. The 28-70 and small Sigma 19mm (if you can find one) might make a good combo, but then you're into spending more money.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1