Ludicrous License - What's going on??

I had three of these yesterday:

"Usage: Business use, One of each of the following uses: Personal use, presentation, internal communication, student project, reference for artist, personal website, personal social media, personal print or card, business website, small book (up to 1000 print run, excluding cover use), small magazine/newspaper (up to 1000 print run), a digital marketing campaign. Worldwide license. Excludes advertising.
Start: 21 March 2019
Duration: In perpetuity"

One of EACH - not one of the following. 

"Use for as many things as you want all over the world forever"

If the fee was $12,000, OK.

It wasn't.

• Like 3

This is exactly what is wrong with Alamy.  I asked one of the Alamy staff at the Photography Show about these licences and I was given an answer about bulk discounts, keeping customers and contribs happy, etc. 

Edited by Colblimp
  • Like 3

I had one almost as bad earlier this month,  also worldwide, same duration. $ fee, and my cut 40%. The same day I had a sale on one of "those" sites, where my share was nearly 7 times higher.

I'm currently taking steps to be able to make many of my images exclusive to Alamy.........but fees like this make the decision of just how many become exclusive a bit harder to make.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cbimages said:

I'm currently taking steps to be able to make many of my images exclusive to Alamy.........but fees like this make the decision of just how many become exclusive a bit harder to make.

No criticism but why would you want to make your images exclusive to a stock company that sells images for (usually) very little?  Doesn't sound like good business to me.  

I can't help wondering what would have happened if these images were RF instead of RM. Would the terms have been the same --  i.e. would Alamy have treated them as RM images anyway? And would the prices have been the same, higher, or lower?

7 hours ago, York Photographer said:

I recently had one of these, for a 50mb file, and it appears the use was on the BBC website!

One of my images was used on the BBC website (travel article) not all that long ago. I was a bit shocked at how little they paid. Must say I expected more from the Beeb.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

One of my images was used on the BBC website (travel article) not all that long ago. I was a bit shocked at how little they paid. Must say I expected more from the Beeb.

Big bulk buyer discount, I'd imagine; they also use micro.

Don't know why you'd expect more, it's a publicly funded organisation, and liable to be challenged at AGMs on why they're paying so much ... when usually they could 'satisfice' elsewhere cheaper.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

13 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Big bulk buyer discount, I'd imagine; they also use micro.

Don't know why you'd expect more, it's a publicly funded organisation, and liable to be challenged at AGMs on why they're paying so much ... when they're available elsewhere cheaper.

Perhaps because all the BBC newscasters always look so well-dressed. 😉

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Gordon Scammell said:

No criticism but why would you want to make your images exclusive to a stock company that sells images for (usually) very little?  Doesn't sound like good business to me.  

Gordon, I have many of my RM placed elsewhere as well as Alamy. Everywhere licences for low prices these days. If I was doing as well with RM images elsewhere, my decision may be very different. Statistically, and based on last years sales on Alamy, I know roughly how much my income will reduce by having images as non exclusive. I have decided to stick with Alamy for exclusive RM and also change some non selling images to RF and place them on "those" sites, where I seem to do quite well.

I also have a very serious health issue that the doctors tell me has a very high chance of recurring and being untreatable. I want to make life easier for those left behind if things go belly up for me..

• Love 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, cbimages said:

I also have a very serious health issue that the doctors tell me has a very high chance of recurring and being untreatable. I want to make life easier for those left behind if things go belly up for me..

Sorry to hear that. Hope things aren't as bad as it sounds.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope things aren't as bad as it sounds.

Thanks, I hope so too.  Breast CA, stage 2A with grade 3 tumour - the most aggressive. Had surgery, but refused radiation & chemo, as a major risk to my scuba diving. Aromatase inhibitors made me too ill to function at all, so stopped taking them. Oncologist has washed her hands of me, and breast doctor said he's not sure how to treat me, "when" it comes back.

Have done a radical diet change, most days 90% raw plant based. Losing weight (14kg so far), so trying to help myself. 9 months since surgery and had scans just over a week ago, and clear of CA so far. Going to spend 2 months in Bali soon, lots of diving coming up!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, cbimages said:

Thanks, I hope so too.  Breast CA, stage 2A with grade 3 tumour - the most aggressive. Had surgery, but refused radiation & chemo, as a major risk to my scuba diving. Aromatase inhibitors made me too ill to function at all, so stopped taking them. Oncologist has washed her hands of me, and breast doctor said he's not sure how to treat me, "when" it comes back.

Have done a radical diet change, most days 90% raw plant based. Losing weight (14kg so far), so trying to help myself. 9 months since surgery and had scans just over a week ago, and clear of CA so far. Going to spend 2 months in Bali soon, lots of diving coming up!

No doubt you know about this study.

• Love 2

28 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

No doubt you know about this study.

Yes, thanks John. Having a lot of dark coloured fruits & vegies every day. Breakfast is a smoothie of (all raw) baby spinach, celery, carrot, cauliflour, beetroot, almonds, 1/3 banana , a hunk of lime with skin, a hunk of ginger, almonds, blueberries, (sometimes I add other dark berries) moringa and amla powders and coconut water. Plus a lot of supplements. Lunch is juice of carrots, celery, beetroot, a green apple, lime and ginger, and more supplements. Dinner, salad and coleslaw with purple cabbage and a small amount of good protein. When we go out, I eat what I want (within reason), but basically try to stay away from anything processed. I have maybe 2 slices of bread in a week, no dairy, minimal processed sugar. However, I do still enjoy a glass or two of wine each day....something that I really need to stop. 

Edited by cbimages

49 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Yes, thanks John. Having a lot of dark coloured fruits & vegies every day. Breakfast is a smoothie of (all raw) baby spinach, celery, carrot, cauliflour, beetroot, almonds, 1/3 banana , a hunk of lime with skin, a hunk of ginger, almonds, blueberries, (sometimes I add other dark berries) moringa and amla powders and coconut water. Plus a lot of supplements. Lunch is juice of carrots, celery, beetroot, a green apple, lime and ginger, and more supplements. Dinner, salad and coleslaw with purple cabbage and a small amount of good protein. When we go out, I eat what I want (within reason), but basically try to stay away from anything processed. I have maybe 2 slices of bread in a week, no dairy, minimal processed sugar. However, I do still enjoy a glass or two of wine each day....something that I really need to stop. 

Red wine has got to be good for us (made from dark-coloured grapes and invented by the gods).

Plant-based diets are the way of the future IMHO. Keep on munching...

• Love 1

7 hours ago, cbimages said:

So sorry to hear of all your troubles. Thinking positively for you. 

9 hours ago, cbimages said:

So sorry to hear of your cancer but pleased you are fighting it as best you are able.

BTW John red wine gives me migraines.

Allan

• Love 1

10 hours ago, cbimages said:

I had six months of chemo and definitely lost most of my energy for many months but I am still here 18 years later after stage 2 breast cancer. I hope you will see many, many more healthy diving years. My heart is with you.

Paulette

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Bummer. I know someone with the same problem. He says it's the sulphites. Apparently even organic wines have some.

Happens to me too. I stick with Bourbon. 

I asked for an explanation of this, mentioning that I would post the reply on the forum.

Here it is:

"This is part of our new simplified popular pricing licenses that we have been testing with market addressable customers. These have proven very successful for both customers and contributors. 

Customers are entitled to use the image in each of the mentioned uses but from our experience, customers do have a specific use in mind and won't be using it in each area, it simply makes things a lot easier and simpler for customers looking to license images on an ad hoc basis."