Jump to content

GET RID OF CAPTCHA NOW


Recommended Posts

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

GET

RID

OF

CAPTCHA

NOW

Every time I log in it is slower, less accurate (it CANNOT recognise a traffic light, or a bicycle - I can) and even more infuriating, and after you click a fire hydrant you have to wait five seconds for another fire hydrant to appear and when you click that fire hydrant you have to wait five seconds for another fire hydrant to appear and when you click that fire hydrant you have to wait five seconds for another fire hydrant to appear and when you click that fire hydrant you have to wait five seconds for another fire hydrant to appear and when you click that fire hydrant you have to wait five seconds for another fire hydrant to appear......

 

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah - finally. Now, when I try to log in and get a Captcha grid, I change plans and do something else. If you don't hear from me for a week or so, that will be why.

Got straight in this time.

If it is so important, why isn't it always there?

If you can sometimes get in without it, what's the point of it?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 10:44, John Morrison said:

I use it to check my core competences. As long as I can recognise a fire hydrant, I feel that I have forestalled senility for another day...

The trouble is, even if YOU can recognise a fire hydrant or a traffic light, it doesn't mean IT can.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto all of above. If you can't make it work properly — and the use of enough screens to get your contributors seriously pissed off proves that you can't — then please dispense with it.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I still have it.

 

Paulette

 

 

Me too. What do we still have?

 

Allan

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right. Just went through a bunch of fire hydrants, stop lights, etc. For the last time.

If Alamy wants to use this silly game to keep me out, then cool, I'm out.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've logged in here about 8 times in the past few months, and only had to do the CAPTCHA tango on one occasion, and that was a few weeks ago . . . obviously not everyone affected equally for some reason. I blame Brexit, MAGA, and the New Zealand cricket team.

 

DD

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If 3/4 of the stop light is in one frame, do I click both frames with the light or just the main frame? Does the light post count for a stop light or just the light fixture itself? This CAPTCHA thing can be a real lesson in frustration.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 12:59, dustydingo said:

I've logged in here about 8 times in the past few months, and only had to do the CAPTCHA tango on one occasion, and that was a few weeks ago . . . obviously not everyone affected equally for some reason. I blame Brexit, MAGA, and the New Zealand cricket team.

 

DD

If it's so important, why can we sometimes get in without it? 

If it isn't essential, why have it at all?

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am even getting it when trying to log into my dashboard.

 

Totally unnecessary.

 

Allan

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 19:36, Phil Robinson said:

If it's so important, why can we sometimes get in without it? 

If it isn't essential, why have it at all?

 

Whoa, Phil, don't shoot, I'm only the piano player . . .

 

DD

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dustydingo said:

 

Whoa, Phil, don't shoot, I'm only the piano player . . .

 

DD

Oh, nothing negative aimed at you - just a good example of the ridiculous situation - though having thoroughly investigated your allegation regarding the New Zealand cricket team, I have been unable to come with anything more than circumstantial evidence.

 

Edited by Phil Robinson
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed on all the above.  Once you have signed up to something and created a password, surely that ought to be enough to show you are not a robot.  I hope that prospective customers don't have to go through this because if they do it is highly likely to affect their willingness to waste logging in time and use Alamy.  My problem is that the images are so blurred and the features I am supposed to be finding so indistinct that it is a nightmare.  Fire hydrants and traffic lights are the worst.  Please can you stop using any form of verification after we have logged in and entered a password.

 

Sheila

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this at all related to the instances we had in the past of automated repeat posts to the forum (says he still not having to go through the ritual)?

 

EDIT: and is it in any way affected by a person's management of browser cookies--apologies if that's been put to rest, just asking . . .

 

DD

Edited by dustydingo
another question
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dustydingo said:

Is this at all related to the instances we had in the past of automated repeat posts to the forum (says he still not having to go through the ritual)?

 

EDIT: and is it in any way affected by a person's management of browser cookies--apologies if that's been put to rest, just asking . . .

 

DD

 

The answer to the second question is no and yes it has been considered as it would always be the first thing one thinks off (well this one anyway). It appears to be random as far as I can see. Clearing or retaining cookies appears to have no effect, nor does using different browsers, retaining passwords or clearing them and so on. I have logged on regularly with 3 different devices from various places (I think it is less of a problem with my iPad than with my computers). I cannot see any real pattern or way to avoid it. I usually only have to do one set of images to get in but sometimes it is two and then again it sometimes leaves me alone.

 

I recall reading that this new version of Captcha looks for robot like behaviour whatever that is. Maybe the most afflicted are the most robot-like in their behaviour. One thing I have learnt is not to be too strict with it - e.g. if there is a tiny corner of a car in a picture just ignore it

Edited by MDM
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

The answer to the second question is no and yes it has been considered as it would always be the first thing one thinks off (well this one anyway). It appears to be random as far as I can see. Clearing or retaining cookies appears to have no effect, nor does using different browsers, retaining passwords or clearing them and so on. I have logged on regularly with 3 different devices from various places (I think it is less of a problem with my iPad than with my computers). I cannot see any real pattern or way to avoid it. I usually only have to do one set of images to get in but sometimes it is two and then again it sometimes leaves me alone.

 

I recall reading that this new version of Captcha looks for robot like behaviour whatever that is. Maybe the most afflicted are the most robot-like in their behaviour. One thing I have learnt is not to be too strict with it - e.g. if there is a tiny corner of a car in a picture just ignore it

 

Interesting. I did do a search of this subject/thread for "cookies" but got no replies other than my question above, so I didn't think it had been discussed much. As I've said before, it's been many, many logons since I've seen the Captcha thingy--I reckon I've seen it twice in the past couple of dozen logins. I don't log on frequently, rarely if ever on consecutive days, and have been known to go weeks without a visit. Maybe that's not robot-like behaviour? . . . or maybe I've just got a trustworthy aura :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

 

And sometimes I have my VPN active, other times not. No rhyme or reason in that direction either it appears . . .

 

DD

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 06:23, MDM said:

 

The answer to the second question is no and yes it has been considered as it would always be the first thing one thinks off (well this one anyway). It appears to be random as far as I can see. Clearing or retaining cookies appears to have no effect, nor does using different browsers, retaining passwords or clearing them and so on. I have logged on regularly with 3 different devices from various places (I think it is less of a problem with my iPad than with my computers). I cannot see any real pattern or way to avoid it. I usually only have to do one set of images to get in but sometimes it is two and then again it sometimes leaves me alone.

 

I recall reading that this new version of Captcha looks for robot like behaviour whatever that is. Maybe the most afflicted are the most robot-like in their behaviour. One thing I have learnt is not to be too strict with it - e.g. if there is a tiny corner of a car in a picture just ignore it

Being a Newbie, and logging in and out several times a day probably makes me look like a bot... lately though, I`ve been able to log in and not be bothered with having to click on fire hydrants or cars and other such stuff to id myself as a human.  You would think the computer could recognize an IP address as someone who is registered as contributor.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.