It's official- 50% for exclusive - (JW response video to commission change)

I'm happy some are happy with the outcome and that it works for them. But, it does seem funny that we were told one minute they were taking X away.... then they tell us we can have X back provided we we only deal with Alamy and suddenly they are fantastic again?!?! 

For myself, looking at the licence fees dropping in so far this month from Alamy, then taking off Alamy's/distributors slice, I just can't see justify being exclusive here. The last half dozen sales this month doesn't even cover 1hrs worth of sales elsewhere. If I'm to stay in business I need to spread the risk and diversify rather than placing images with just one agency. 

Will I continue to submit to Alamy?!?.... hard to say. I may upload what I've been sitting on for a while and then call it a day here for now and see where the fees go but they're looking more like micro fees but without the volume.

36 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

How can you make an image exclusive "again"? Certainly not until the contractual period has expired. I'm expecting some pretty tight wording in the new contract around this.

My mistake  - talking in head forgetting emphasis does not work on typing lol - I meant revert to making all future images exclusive again.
So I spray and pray for a couple of months.
Observe results.
Modify according to results.
If Alamy exclusives are seen to be selling well at higher prices then more of the images I take from then on will go Alamy exclusive - old ones can stay where they are as they are.

26 minutes ago, njene said:

Thing is - is the 10% going to meet or exceed the income that image would produce being available on other sites?

Being exclusive does not mean PU uses and other piddly licences will be replaced by larger licences. Other sites have piddly licence commissions but some sell in much greater quantity than Alamy  

so, thinking about the amount of sales and  the amount that are sold for $ or very low $$, I don’t see the benefit of going exclusive   This of course is MHO only

Mine too - I will experiment and observe results.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Well, I'd expected to have to ask MS to do it, as I thought you could only select in batches of 500, but I ticked "newest 500 passed", ticked "only available on Alamy" and it seems to have flagged all 9000-odd. If it's a bug it's a handy one. Perhaps it was anticipated.

I suspect there will be something to sign as well. Suits me, but then being de facto exclusive already I would say that, wouldn't I?

Didn't work for me. Only the first 500 were selected. This could be as much of a pain as re-key-wording a few thousand images from a while back that were over-key worded by a "service" in India I paid to do it (Mal Paso, as Clint Eastwood might say).  Any suggestion on how to do it without the help of a bug would be great. I wish I'd been a bit more diligent initially - almost all of my 7K+ images are not elsewhere.  

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Well, they will now, by 20%.

"More of the same" is no incentive for non-exclusive contributors to make the switch. This might have been the perfect opportunity for James to pitch his proposal to those people like me. He didn't bother. I prefer carrots to sticks.

4 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Didn't work for me. Only the first 500 were selected. This could be as much of a pain as re-key-wording a few thousand images from a while back that were over-key worded by a "service" in India I paid to do it (Mal Paso, as Clint Eastwood might say).  Any suggestion on how to do it without the help of a bug would be great. I wish I'd been a bit more diligent initially - almost all of my 7K+ images are not elsewhere.  

Sorry about that- I lied- it doesn't work. I forgot that I had it done overnight by MS in October. Just ask.

I don't like the wood background, and James should have combed his hair. 

However in spite of that:

I think 50% for exclusivity is a good solution for most Alamy photographers, and 40% for non exclusive the best offer Alamy photographers will receive from any agency.

I will take the 50% on my images exclusive to Alamy, and will check the appropriate box in AIM.

Stock photography websites are starting to look all the same, because the images are all the same due to duplication of images between sites.

A very successful tier 1 microstock agency said publicly that they would expand into editorial, because they saw it as a 1 billion $ opportunity for them. That tier 1 microstock agency does $600 million per year so will have no difficulty financing their new editorial microstock. That is a direct, very big, threat to Alamy and Alamy photographers.

If Alamy has unique images, something that Alamy has been promoting all along, images exclusive to Alamy may be the way to better take on the tier 1 microstock agencies. Maybe that would trickle down to all Alamy photographers, even the photographers who opt for the 40%

I am not dancing all over the place about photographer power, as I think that moving the majority of images to exclusive may have been the original intent of the 40% announcement in the first place.

Now that most photographers will have seen the wisdom of exclusive to Alamy images, can the wisdom of RF, instead of RM, be far behind?

Call me cynical, but this was probably the plan all along. 

If you were exclusive here, you were silly not to mark your images as such. 

But the cut for exclusive used to be 60% to contributor, so, still a cut. 

So, the proposed cuts are still exactly the same as they were before this new announcement, in my opinion 

Glad you guys seem so happy anyway 

1 minute ago, chris_rabe said:

I find some of your comments lacking in pre-thought. Some of us have been here before the new AIM, and the old one did not allow for images to be marked as exclusive.

So, there's "silly" (as in your comment) and there's "we had no choice".

Pleased for all those that think its good news. Mine are all exclusive because I have never submitted the same files to different agencies -always used my own pecking order starting with own direct sales then traditional agencies which i have a working relationship with and who do more for their 50% followed by Alamy who have basically taken all those rejected by the above. 

Yes I will tick the necessary box provided it does not involve too much work. Will i continue to submit to Alamy? unlikely as have not since last commission reduction and would need to see some policing the things which don't make much sense to me like very poor keywording,searches not returning relevant files, discounts for bulk which make my cut less than a cup of coffee, poor chasing of infringements without any real penalty, handing over large files when a very small one would suffice for use purchased,ridiculously long licence periods which make a mockery of RM.

whilst many are pleased with this outcome watch out for the devil in the detail.

Regen

2 minutes ago, chris_rabe said:

Why? I've seen no evidence that images exclusive to Alamy command higher prices. Why would anyone willingly tie themselves in contractual knots without an incentive?

1 minute ago, regen said:

Pleased for all those that think its good news. Mine are all exclusive because I have never submitted the same files to different agencies -always used my own pecking order starting with own direct sales then traditional agencies which i have a working relationship with and who do more for their 50% followed by Alamy who have basically taken all those rejected by the above. 

Yes I will tick the necessary box provided it does not involve too much work. Will i continue to submit to Alamy? unlikely as have not since last commission reduction and would need to see some policing the things which don't make much sense to me like very poor keywording,searches not returning relevant files, discounts for bulk which make my cut less than a cup of coffee, poor chasing of infringements without any real penalty, handing over large files when a very small one would suffice for use purchased,ridiculously long licence periods which make a mockery of RM.

whilst many are pleased with this outcome watch out for the devil in the detail.

Regen

If I could give you a giant green or 10 greens I would

Archived