17 hours ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

I was wondering if there's a (roughly) general zooms/sales ratio, or it varies a lot according to portfolio content?

At present, mine is 4.75.

Have you tried  https://discussion.alamy.com/search/?&q=zooms sales ratio&sortby=newest ?

wim

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

Thanks! I did a search first, but didn't find anything really relevant.

I'm pretty sure it has even come up far more often than these 3 pages, so maybe try some more with slightly different wording.

wim

• Like 1

In my case ir is about 1 sale on 4-5 zooms... and as said by others plenty of sales without the photo being zoomed...

i would very much like to have different stats on Alamy: being able to see the views per image and being able to see which images where viewed, zoomed in etc the most... 

This besides the stats as they are today.... shouldn’t be very complicated to implement?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

Regarding zooms – what counts as a zoom? If I view another contributor's photos, will that count?

No. Zooms are recorded when a 'registered' and logged-in customer performs a search, then clicks on an image to view it larger and with more details.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, German said:

Answering one year later, but maybe still pertinent to anyone out there, my zooms/sales ratio is 1.12

I don't know mine and after ten years with Alamy, I decided it just doesn't mean anything, unless someone just likes numbers. I have sales with no zooms, and many zooms with no sales. Someone not measured in the first case and some other photo or image was better in the second. I suppose zooms with no sales, could be a message? Or many many zooms, might tell me, make more like that.

On 05/10/2018 at 14:24, losdemas said:

Zooms are recorded when a 'registered' and logged-in customer performs a search, then clicks on an image to view it larger and with more details.  

Right!

I remember people asking years ago, how many views on average, before the image gets a sale. Same to me, just numbers and curiosity, I don't see a statistical relevance.

Like how many images do I need to make $$$? What are the images, not how many.

Call me a stick in the mud, but none of those numbers mean anything. 🤐

Edited by Klinger

For me, the only metrics that are important are RPI (return per image) and "How much did I earn this year?" The number of zooms I need to get a sale is even more useless than the total number of sales I get each month when the amount earned per sale can vary from a couple oof hundred dollars to amounts measured in cents. If I get 3 sales for $150-$450 each they are worth far more than 15 sales at $1-7 each, though the latter would be 5x as many sales. I might as well compare how many sales I get a day on the micros to how many sales I get a month here - apples to oranges. Revenue is the only metric that makes sense. That's the graph that I switch to when I log on. 

As I think I mentioned in at least one other thread, my zooms have gone up this year, # of sales is way down, but revenue is up, despite a couple of truly bad months. 

But I'll play along. I had 54 zooms this past year. My ratio is 4.15.  Most of my sales were never zoomed, and despite a decent number of zooms, they don't seem to be predictive, although I do search those images on tineye and google since I sometimes find unreported sales that way. 

I had 18 zooms in the past two months, some where mine was the only image zoomed. That should translate into 4 sales based on my "average." I'll be very happy if it does, but I'm not hopeful that it is predictive. Though I'll be thrilled if I'm proved wrong!  😎

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 2
  • Like 1