News which isn't really news.

During my regular look through the Live News Feed, I've just seen a very hazy picture of a pedestal fan in a room next to an interior door. No headline, no caption, just the date. Can someone please tell me how that qualifies as news?!!! :angry:

This happens regularly - non-news and no headlines or captions. How do these pics manage to make the news feed?

I try not to judge what I think isn't news, seeing as you can say the same by flicking through any 'news' paper. The mess that the Live News pages sometimes becomes thanks to a lack of knowledge of the basics of uploading images by some contributors is highly frustrating though

Ah but there is a lot of tidying up needed for images on the site even before that, so clearly the team haven’t got to it yet. Dozens of single images that should be grouped together.

1 minute ago, Sally said:

Ah but there is a lot of tidying up needed for images on the site even before that, so clearly the team haven’t got to it yet. Dozens of single images that should be grouped together.

Don't get me started on that!!!

But bear in mind that the real work is done by Alamy News team sending selected images to news desks. It has often been said that news publishers don't come looking as they receive more than enough from the news agencies. I think it was KM who suggested that only a very small percentage of news submissions get pushed to picture desks (I seem to recall a hint that it was around 5-10%, might be my imagination though)

1 hour ago, funkyworm said:

I think there is a good chance that if I sent in images of the river water being diverted or dikes being sprayed down they could be removed as not news.

With the appripriate caption there would be zero chance of the images being rejected

km

1 hour ago, Bear said:

On a lot of your images that are RM they are designated as - Presentation or Newsletter - how does one get that selected in AIM, I can't find it?

It's not something you select. It's just Alamy's pricing structure.

Since i've set my default to NOT allow personal use, the  first available optionfor buyers  becomes 'presentation or newsletter'

KM

Buy this stock image now…

Personal prints, cards and gifts
£ 9.99
Presentation or newsletters
£ 9.99
Website
£ 29.99
Magazines and books
£ 39.99
Marketing package: Small business
£ 39.99
Marketing package: Large business
£ 149.99

3 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Sorry, Keith, with all respect your experiance is not my experiance. Drizzle in Dolgellau = news. Drizzle in Den Haag gets removed. Same weather, same caption, different place, different outcome.

Come on that's easy: if it's rain it's yesterday's British weather. Which is yesterday's British weather news.

Now on the other hand if we have an Easterly wind, that could become tomorrow's weather in the UK.

Even then I think you should not forget to also keyword/tag it with weather abroad or weather on the continent ;-)

wim

15 hours ago, funkyworm said:

Drizzle in Dolgellau = news. Drizzle in Den Haag gets removed. Same weather, same caption, different place, different outcome.

Alamy news has plenty of German, Korean, Chinese , Moroccan etc weather pix......

As i said..if there is a story and a good caption then there's no problem with the location being outside the UK

km

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

We have a winner, ladies and gentleman.

"Man takes off shirt" - I kid you not.  Unbelievable!!!

"Russian pensioners" a close second. Photo finish?

1 minute ago, Avpics said:

"Russian pensioners" a close second. Photo finish?

I didn't even cop that one because I was stunned that 'man takes shirt off' could be classed as news. I'll go with a photo finish, unless anyone else has a winner? :lol:

My vote goes to this one. The only information is 

“A tense, suspenseful, edge-of-your-seat psychological thriller. Chris experienced three deaths, one after another. She's in prison awaiting trial. But she doesn’t exactly know why.”

My first news image of a severe lightning storm starting wildfires in my area(Canada) was rejected while other shots of a sunny or cloudy weather status or people walking down the street in the UK stays online. I guess I'm done with that. Navigating favoritism on some agencies gets old fast. I didnt need sleep last night anyways.

there are a few us here from Alberta, and it's not an issue I have found. I get regular searches for things local to Alberta and have had sales from it, and I'm just starting.

10 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I didn't even cop that one because I was stunned that 'man takes shirt off' could be classed as news. I'll go with a photo finish, unless anyone else has a winner? :lol:

As per "dog bites man", do we need to ask "man takes shirt off whom?"

Archived