News which isn't really news.

I've found that my "news" images don't do well until they are no longer news. Last month, I had an image that I originally submitted to Live News license for $175 (book use) as regular stock. This has happened a number of times, for as much as $250. That said, I've never seen an Alamy photo in a Canadian newspaper, which is too bad really.

I am getting slightly concerned here - yesterday I uploaded 8 images relating to unidentified white powder in a package which burnt a woman's finger, Westbury, Wiltshire - like very close to Novichok and yes the emergency services were concerned.  Now it did all turn out to be nothing immediate - the powder was declared of no immediate risk and removed for further testing  - but I would have expected some sort of interest in the story what with Novichok and all.  As far as I can see from my dash no interest.

So sensible question how important a news agency is Alamy?  Is it mainly focused on celebs and weather and "fillers" or does it work for breaking big stories?

6 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

As far as I can see from my dash no interest.

So sensible question how important a news agency is Alamy?  Is it mainly focused on celebs and weather and "fillers" or does it work for breaking big stories?

It won't show on your dashboard for many months. News can take even longer than stock. As for your second question, it's pretty clear that Alamy isn't the 'go to' agency for news. I don't know whether that's a quality issue, price or what, but I know some contributors that submit material to other agencies and it's always that other agency that is successful over Alamy.

Just now, Avpics said:

It won't show on your dashboard for many months. News can take even longer than stock. As for your second question, it's pretty clear that Alamy isn't the 'go to' agency for news. I don't know whether that's a quality issue, price or what, but I know some contributors that submit material to other agencies and it's always that other agency that is successful over Alamy.

That is useful to know thanks.  I have been recommended to another agency which I believe is more proactive in selling hot news images.  I tend to prefer to keep stuff in one place but if I am getting stuff of immediate interest I might use the other agency.

36 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I know some contributors that submit material to other agencies and it's always that other agency that is successful over Alamy.

not in my experience..

and  Live News sales will usually appear in your sales information in a matter of weeks, not months..
I'm getting last months (June) LiveNews sales to the Sun Online, for example,  reported today

km

9 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

and  Live News sales will usually appear in your sales information in a matter of weeks, not months..
I'm getting last months (June) LiveNews sales to the Sun Online, for example,  reported today

km

That's very strange. Mine can take four months and I frequently have to chase them up

1 hour ago, Starsphinx said:

I am getting slightly concerned here - yesterday I uploaded 8 images relating to unidentified white powder in a package which burnt a woman's finger, Westbury, Wiltshire - like very close to Novichok and yes the emergency services were concerned.  Now it did all turn out to be nothing immediate - the powder was declared of no immediate risk and removed for further testing  - but I would have expected some sort of interest in the story what with Novichok and all.  As far as I can see from my dash no interest.

I saw that set of pics on the Live News feed, they're very good shots and I'd be very surprised if at least one didn't sell.

Archived