Edo in San Miguel de Allende

I don’t know how much of your belongings you hung onto after the fire, but at least, since you came from a small flat they can’t be too overwhelming to move. 

But of course, at this time and considering your dire straights, everything is overwhelming.

Moving is a hard thing. We moved a 4 bedroom, 2 living area home and it about did me in. Seriously. What it did to my already-bad spine is unrecoverable. 

But at least I knew where we were going and didn’t have the shock of sudden ejection. 

I do believe in prayer and will be praying for you, Ed. Sure can’t hurt.

Betty

By the way, dying from a tornado is better than dying from many other causes! Our winters are milder than NYC, our summers a bit hotter, and you need to pay close attention while moving from winter to summer or you’ll miss spring. At least this year. The newspaper said spring lasted a day and a half this year. But the reporter said that might be an exaggeration. In reality it was only a half of a day. :P

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

The doings of any move will be complex; I'm not looking forward to any of it. I'm homeless remember and scared.

You certainly seem to be in a tough spot, Ed, but I admire your courage and resilience. I’m confident you’ll work everything out for the best. I don’t envy your situation, as it must feel overwhelming at times. 

For warm weather in the southeastern US, the university town of Gainesville in North Cental Florida is a nice place to live if you don’t mind humidity. There’s a bus system, great medical facilities, nice parks, and a variety of  types of people. It’s also very different from southern and central Florida. Not as crowded, no tourism, and very green with lots of trees. It’s definitely cheaper to live there than NYC, though I have no idea how it would compare to somewhere like Porto. 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I 'm centered on Cost, Climate, Cuisine, and Culture. The possibility for stock subjects is important too. I won't be driving anymore, and I'm not considering traveling around. 

Judging by your recent pics, San Miguel seems to be serving you very well in those departments.

Mexico has its problems (then what country doesn't these days), but it's tough to beat it as a place to retire on a low income IMO.

Just sayin'...

AARP is always doing pieces on where to retire. Here is something on their website   ....https://www.aarp.org/home-family/your-home/best-places-to-live/  I think they also have information on retiring abroad. I thought maybe there was one spot on the website to look but it seems you'll have to search and check in several places. Probably just a Google search can come up with things too. All the possibilities are rather mind boggling.

Paulette

Nevada has a fair amount of government subsidized housing for seniors.  I don't know if there is a waiting list but rents vary with amount of your income.  They have to meet government standards as they are inspected regularly.  I worked for a property management company that specialized in providing apartments for senior and disabled people.  Las Vegas would be your best chance with the Reno/ Carson City area next in line.  They may say they have two hundred people on their waiting list, but because people on those lists may find other housing or other because of age factors the lists in reality aren't that long.  I found this online, i hop the link works from where you are at.  It is a list of apartments in the Las Vegas Area.  There is a large senior population in the Bullhead City Arizona Laughlin Nevada area along the Colorado River and apartment rents are low, but temperatures are very high in the summer months mild in the winter, but its a dry heat.  It is a little more low key compared to Las Vegas. They have shuttle buses to run you around to do errands and doctor appointments in most places.  The senior center serves lunch for a $3 donation in Bullhead City.  You would be fresh meat for the local senior lady population as women outnumber men usually.   https://apps.hud.gov/apps/section8/results.cfm?city_name_text=LAS+VEGAS&county_name_text=Clark&zip_code=&property_name_text=&client_group_type=&bedroom_one=true&maxrec=20&state_code=NV&statename=Nevada

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

AARP is always doing pieces on where to retire. Here is something on their website   ....https://www.aarp.org/home-family/your-home/best-places-to-live/  I think they also have information on retiring abroad. I thought maybe there was one spot on the website to look but it seems you'll have to search and check in several places. Probably just a Google search can come up with things too. All the possibilities are rather mind boggling.

Paulette

Paulette, Forum Folks, what is it you think I do all day?

All day, everyday for the past 4 months, I've been making plans, doing research, doing the math, planning, planning and worrying. I have endless folders stuffed with data on my desktop and three notebooks on my desk. I do a little shooting each day and have lunch. Other than that, I'm on the job. 

Stress is bad for the immune system, and I've been stressed for 4 months. 

On the other hand, a suggestion might hit home, so keep them coming. That post I just got on Vegas is news to me -- thanks Johnnie5.

A friend of mine lives in San Antonio, Texas, which appears on several "most affordable" lists. SA is a very livable and attractive city with lots going on. Interesting blend of cultures as well. I was pleasantly surprised when I visited.

P.S. Warm climate and excellent medical facilities too.

Warm, alright -- very. But it is amazingly inexpensive for an American city. Wow. Do you think Santa Anna would get upset if another gringo moved there? I've been there. It's an attractive city.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Warm, alright -- very. But it is amazingly inexpensive for an American city. Wow. Do you think Santa Anna would get upset if another gringo moved there? I've been there. It's an attractive city.

Only if he's not still sore about the Alamo. I'll have to ask...

the-alamo-or-mission-san-antonio-valero-

On 6/16/2018 at 06:33, John Mitchell said:

How about Greece? It reportedly has a low cost of living, plus it is no doubt a lot warmer than Ireland.

Henry Miller, a fellow New Yorker, loved Greece, but that was before tourists arrived en masse.

Rents here in Greece can be very cheap, lots of empty apartments so its a renters market maybe. Good bus services, never see anyone paying otherthan tourists. They also have an NHS which is free but takes forever. Postal service, 2 days to get here from UK, 4 weeks to come 10miles away...postal system is pitiful. Food prices are higher than average compared to the UK. But theres regular markets and everything is crazy cheap. Bit too hot for me now but its a beautiful laid back country.

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Just thinking about those poor souls risking their lives in leaky boats crossing the Med in search of  better life. :( 

Its so unbelievably sad, and happening constantly...its crazy when i think how close Syria and Iraq are...but let’s not get political 🙄

I considered Greece, but for several reasons, including the one Ian mentioned, decided against it. Porto is still in the lead by a nose. 

But before any of that, I must settle things with my landlord and NYC. 

LOL  

Mark, I won't hold you responsible, don't worry. And all this is still in the conversational stage. Oddly, my son and his wife just came back from Lisbon and Porto. 

I'm off the a steak house for brunch, but I won't be ordering steak. :wacko:

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

LOL  

Mark, I won't hold you responsible, don't worry. And all this is still in the conversational stage. Oddly, my son and his wife just came back from Lisbon and Porto. 

I'm off the a steak house for brunch, but I won't be ordering steak. :wacko:

It has been at least 40 years since I've eaten a piece of dead cow, but that has been by choice. B)

Hope your son has some good news for you.

Bon appétit!

Why not consider Cuba for a while?

Good stock opportunities.

Excellent health care.

Not sure about the cost of living, but probably lower than Mexico.

I would try to maintain a tiny base in the US/Can/Ireland/EU. Maybe even pay some tax there. But try to roam some nice warm countries with cheap living and cheap flights for as long as a tourist visa would  last.

wim

I'm reminded of the line De Niro had in Taxi Diver: "Are you talking to me?" 

Today marks the end of the 4th month I've been homeless. Yes, with help I've landed on my feet so far. But I've not made a deal with my landlord yet, and I must be out of this flat in two weeks. I'm not on a photo tour, or a dinning tour, or any tour. I've already lived the wandering part of my life -- too old for that now. 

Cuba is an interesting idea though. Back a few years ago I wrote a piece called, Drinking with the Ghost of Hemingway. I had been to all his bars in Europe and the one in Key West. I told the editor who was interested that I wanted to add Cuba. I could have gone there on my Irish passport. I waited too long and the editor moved on from his job. 

Actually, Havana is more expensive than Mexico City. Me? I want to go to one place and settle down for awhile, try to recover from the stress I'm under.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Havana

That Numbeo is interesting.

Toyotas and Volkswagens are insanely expensive in Havana. Housing not so much. Maybe that's skewing it.

Never been to Cuba btw. Nor to Mexico.

My guess is that there are cheap places everywhere, but it's seldom the big cities.

The problem with warm places is that they get hot most of the time and pleasant only part of the time.

My parents were (European) snowbirds: they used to go to Benidorm a lot in winter. Really good climate. In winter.

I would prefer Malaga though. In winter ;-)

Haven't been in Portugal for ages, so cannot comment on current affairs there. But climate wise and food wise it's really nice. And lots of stock opportunities.

wim

Cuba no. Portual si. Remember my 4 Cs?  Costs, climate, culture, community. I think that last C was cuisine. Or maybe cerveza. It's funny that most of the places forum people suggested are too hot and humid for me. 

Edo

17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Cuba no. Portual si. Remember my 4 Cs?  Costs, climate, culture, community. I think that last C was cuisine. Or maybe cerveza. It's funny that most of the places forum people suggested are too hot and humid for me. 

Edo

I too prefer places with temperate climates. Vancouver fits the bill fairly well (as does San Miguel). I still love Montreal, but the frigid winters and hot, humid summers I don't miss. It's a wonderful place to visit in the fall, though.

Not a bad time to be crossing to the other side of the Atlantic, I'd say.

Keep us posted...

35 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'll moving from here at the end of the month and will be in NYC for a couple of weeks to settle selling my lease and vacating my flat. Poco a poco.

What then.....arrriving in Porto with a guitar, camera and a fistful of escudos  euro?

have been without internet for a few weeks so only just noticed this thread, or the latest on it. Ed, I live an hour north of Lisbon, been in Portugal for 8 some years now. Anything you would like to ask, please feel free. Let me know and we will try to sort how to contact (now there is no PM available), as don't want to fill this thread. 

Jenny

1 hour ago, george said:

have been without internet for a few weeks so only just noticed this thread, or the latest on it. Ed, I live an hour north of Lisbon, been in Portugal for 8 some years now. Anything you would like to ask, please feel free. Let me know and we will try to sort how to contact (now there is no PM available), as don't want to fill this thread. 

Jenny

Hi, Jenny!

If you send me an email, we are then in contact.  I'm   edoruan@gmail.com

I'm on my way back to NYC June 30th, so I'm unable to fully focused on what comes after all I have to do there to close down my past. Then I'll be totally about Porto. 

Do you think I can find a small rental flat there for about 400 to 500 euros a month? 

Edo

Archived