Rights Managed Prices?

I must have something set up incorrectly and hoping someone can point me in the correct direction.  Most of my images are set for Rights Managed yet every-time I make a sale the price is ridiculously low.  Example I just made three sales here is the described licensing: 

Usage: iQ sale: Corporate Package Use – Internal use and external non-advertising use
Industry sector: Travel & tourism
Start: 13 August 2013
End: 13 August 2023

Worldwide ten years of Corporate Usage for $29.00,  when I try and plug in the usage for a purchase the cost comes out to be over $800.  For me it's the principal I would rather not make any sales than even a single 1/4 page one time editorial usage for one single territory not the entire world for something as low as $29 that's just absolutely ridiculous.  Is there anyway to adjust the way my images are licensed to set limits on how low they can be licensed for or do I have something set wrong that allows this?

Any help would be very appreciated because this truly disturbs my principals.

Thanks,  Jeff 

1. Yes, it's low
  2. The online calculator is rarely used
  3. You have set nothing wrong
  4. No, you cannot determine minmum pricing
  5. The licence may not necessarily be for 10 years or a full 1/4 page, even though it is described as such
  6. iQ sales are set up for repeat clients who may be given special discounts
  7. <sigh>
  8. Others may have more energy to help you in more detail, but this stuff has been covered multiple times on the forum
  9. I'm having a day like yours, but without any sales
  10. Keep on plugging
  11. :)

The experience that you have just had is pretty much the norm in the online stock industry today,  Alamy often comes across as giving the work away with their low discounted fees,  the reason we know this is that Alamy is very transparent in how they do business, most other online archives work pretty much the same as Alamy but are less transparent, therefore we pick on Alamy pricing because Alamy informs us in detail to how the image was licensed and the fee paid, hence sometimes we are not happy because it has been put in front of us in detail.

In regard to your question!  i can only recommend putting restrictions on your images,  to be honest i do not know how efficient this is, however it must work to some degree.

RM images today do not seem to be recognized like they once were,  control has been lost in our online world, i sometimes feel that once a image is put online it is there for the world to grab and hopefully somebody will pay for it.

I am sure there are others here that can help with your thread.

Cheers,

Paul.

The bottom line is that the market is determined largely by supply and demand. Prices have been dropping progressively over the last few years, not only with Alamy but with all other libraries too. Restrictions will result in no sales. It is up to you whether you wan't something or nothing. There are a myriad of debates on this topic on this forum. Good luck, at least you are selling.

dov

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your responses. 

"Welcome to the world of stock photography along with the other millions of photographers." 

Actually I've been doing this for a bit of time I think the reality is that places like Alamy have followed Chicken Little believing the sky is falling

Back when Tony Stone was around very few companies were needing images compared to today were not only does a Mom n Pop company need to have a dynamic website ,companies need to have energetic blogs etc all requiring colorful art to attract viewers.  The need for photography in the commercial world has never been greater yet Stock Agencies have blown it.  Alamy would do good by hiring some real business negotiators not just a bunch of corporate lawyers holding down their contributors.  

In any case I've decided to bow out of Alamy so hopefully you guys will have one less photographer clambering for a $29 sale. Heck if I make one real sale on my self hosted website that would justify years making sales here at Alamy

Finishing let me ask,  I've deleted my images, am I to assume Alamy will truly delete them or do I need to take steps to assure their deletion from the Alamy servers?

Thanks,  jeff

Hello and goodbye, Jeff.

I was with Tony Stone. But I try not to wax nostalgic about those times (much). We are now in the Brave New World of Stock. Are you a "creative"? Eat dog food and live in a garret.  We are now in La Boheme Part Two. Be you an artist of any kind, there are no business models running currently that embrace we producers of the goods. 

Ed

I had five $31.40 RM sales (corporate website with a slew of uses) pop up today. Not to complain, but I guess this is the new reality: five sales = one decent sale of yesteryear. At least they weren't distributor sales, and a couple of the images had never leased before. So I'm actually a fairly happy camper all things considered.

I had five $31.40 RM sales (corporate website with a slew of uses) pop up today. Not to complain, but I guess this is the new reality: five sales = one decent sale of yesteryear. At least they weren't distributor sales, and a couple of the images had never leased before. So I'm actually a fairly happy camper all things considered.

I had a few of those today as well. Probably the same buyer and I expect others will have the same. I wonder what the any size bit means in relation to website display. Anybody got any idea who the buyer is?

Usage: Non-Editorial Electronic and web uses

Media: Corporate website, single design

Industry sector: General business services

Image Size: Any size

Start: 01 August 2013

End: 01 August 2016

5 years multiple web use incl. personal screensaver use

Ditto, but only 2...

Must be a volume user at that price.

I had a few of those today as well. Probably the same buyer and I expect others will have the same. I wonder what the any size bit means in relation to website display. Anybody got any idea who the buyer is?

Yup, those are the ones. No idea who the buyer is. At least they are coming in batches, which softens the blow somewhat.

Finishing let me ask,  I've deleted my images, am I to assume Alamy will truly delete them or do I need to take steps to assure their deletion from the Alamy servers?

Thanks,  jeff

No, the images will be deleted - but according to the contract only after another six months.

If you already have deleted your images you cannot change your keywords any longer - as Jeff 2 suggested.

Yup, those are the ones. No idea who the buyer is. At least they are coming in batches, which softens the blow somewhat.

Perhaps there might be a clue in the content. Both of mine were west of Ireland landscapes (D81TN8 and BND591). First one was a sunset which is something I rarely do.

Perhaps there might be a clue in the content. Both of mine were west of Ireland landscapes (D81TN8 and BND591). First one was a sunset which is something I rarely do.

Mine were all photos of Mexico, the type of images you might see on a travel-related website.

Archived