My image not appearing in all searches

Something very strange is going on with the search results. I decided to look for one of my images that I had only completed the details for today. I used some of the supertags to find it. There was only one page of search results so it was pretty easy to find. Soon after, I used another combination of supertags which brought up more images this time but still only one page of results. Though my image was not there. How could this be? I double checked to see if my spelling was correct and sure enough, it was. It makes me wonder if buyers are going to have trouble finding my photos, even if I include the very same words that they use in searches. 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Something very strange is going on with the search results. I decided to look for one of my images that I had only completed the details for today. I used some of the supertags to find it. There was only one page of search results so it was pretty easy to find. Soon after, I used another combination of supertags which brought up more images this time but still only one page of results. Though my image was not there. How could this be? I double checked to see if my spelling was correct and sure enough, it was. It makes me wonder if buyers are going to have trouble finding my photos, even if I include the very same words that they use in searches. 

Which keywords?

Which image?

wim

Edit: I just did a search for one of my earlier images using different word combinations and that was found easily each time. Maybe I have to give new images more time until all the tags can be utilised in searches.....perhaps. In that case, I might wait a while and try again later. Looks like at first, it's mainly words used in the caption that finds the images (if they match some of the tags.)

When I click on your image of the cameraman, I see no keywords at all, yet I do for the others.

Also, ditch the words Christmas Pageant from your caption on that pic.  It will just get you useless views that will affect your CTR.  If what he is filming isn't in the image, then it's irrelevant. 

Jill

13 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

When I click on your image of the cameraman, I see no keywords at all, yet I do for the others.

That's really strange. I put so many keywords in that cameraman photo that I got the infamous green bar (and did so without spamming.) 

I'm off to dinner now....will change the caption when I get back. By the way, I didn't use "Christmas Pageant" in any of the keywords. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Hmmm....Ive done a google search and there are a number of samples of text mentioning fishermen 'casting off.'

Then they are wrong. The only time an angler is likely to be 'casting off' is if he has been doing some knitting. 

3 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Hmmm....Ive done a google search and there are a number of samples of text mentioning fishermen 'casting off.'

Search Google and you will find posts using there (place) their (ownership) they're (they are) almost interchangeably. They're (they are) often just wrong. Don't be misled by the ignorant masses. The replies you will get here are pretty much spot-on!

p,s, Thanks Joseph, I forgot about knitting. But I enjoyed the post :D

12 minutes ago, Russell said:

Search Google and you will find posts using there (place) their (ownership) they're (they are) almost interchangeably. They're (they are) often just wrong. Don't be misled by the ignorant masses. The replies you will get here are pretty much spot-on!

I admit there's another forum I contribute to where the grammar mistakes made by some individuals are pretty shocking!

I'll make the changes to my keywords when I'm up again. I'm heading to bed and it's nearly sunrise. 

14 hours ago, Russell said:

Hi,

I like the sunset/tree image

Thanks for the good words. That particular image was shot on medium format (6 x 7cm film) using Fuji Velvia. Some time after that photo was taken, the tree lost it's distinctive feature - the bent branch. It dropped off. Then later, the whole tree came down. 

8 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

regardless of the 'correctness' of the terminology...if it's a phrase a picture researcher is lilkely to use , then i would include it myself.

Better to be wrong and make a sale, than correct and lose one..

Yea good thinking. Maybe I'll reinsert 'casting off.'

3 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Thanks for the good words. That particular image was shot on medium format (6 x 7cm film) using Fuji Velvia. Some time after that photo was taken, the tree lost it's distinctive feature - the bent branch. It dropped off. Then later, the whole tree came down. 

Yea good thinking. Maybe I'll reinsert 'casting off.'

In truth, the adding of 'casting off' in this image is utterly trivial, it matters not a jot. However, taking Alamy globally, adding incorrect terms slowly but perceptibly dilutes the quality of search returns and harms the reputation of the library (such as it may be) for accuracy in its product. For myself, I will try to avoid inaccuracy and encourage others to do the same.

And thank you for introducing me to a niche subject - I can find no examples on Alamy of knitters casting off. I must go and ask my mum to look out that bag of needles and wool....

19 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Also in general you have to wait 24 hrs for the database to update, which happens overnight, probably Indian time.

wim

My experience suggests that the cut-off tends to be at midnight UK time. So if you tag and keyword an image by midnight UK time, it will be picked up in the refresh the next day. If you miss midnight then you will have to wait an extra day.

2 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

In truth, the adding of 'casting off' in this image is utterly trivial, it matters not a jot. However, taking Alamy globally, adding incorrect terms slowly but perceptibly dilutes the quality of search returns and harms the reputation of the library

When it comes to keywording, I use the same philosophy as I do on the micro sites. And that is only include words that are relevant to the image. 

On 25-10-2017 at 14:15, Patrick Cooper said:

If you completed details today you need to keep in mind that system needs some time to update that. Perhaps the keywords you enter are not updated to the image yet.

Try tomorrow. Maybe it is fine then.

Mirco

Edit:

I see post if from wednesday. I am late :)

Archived