Totally Wrong Information!

Yea I'm puzzled as to why some people do this. There's another stock agency that I submit to which features a photo with a caption that reads something like: "Koala sitting on a tree on Kangaroo Island." The actual photo is an underwater image of a sea turtle swimming amongst fish and coral. Certainly no koala and no tree to be seen. And by the way, we don't get sea turtles or that kind of coral on Kangaroo Island - looks like the photo was taken somewhere tropical.

2 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

I thought it was an entire agency, with different contributors.

We're talking about the single contributor JAAT75.

The agency JB485G is equally as bad. Truly appalling.

10 minutes ago, gvallee said:

We're talking about the single contributor JAAT75.

The agency JB485G is equally as bad. Truly appalling.

Maybe alamy and the agency are somewhat related. 

Their webpage looks very similar to Alamy's. 

JABC4C

last one - same bloke again- would be funny of it wasn't so pathetic

here is an image which simultaneously manages to be in three different australian cities, is the Mily Way, is a Kangaroo, is in Kiama, is a waterfall and best of all is a sunrise and a sunset

what a joke 

11 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

JABC4C

last one - same bloke again- would be funny of it wasn't so pathetic

here is an image which simultaneously manages to be in three different australian cities, is the Mily Way, is a Kangaroo, is in Kiama, is a waterfall and best of all is a sunrise and a sunset

what a joke 

He's got tons and keeps uploading. 

I found his website and as Alamy is refusing to do anything, I am sorely tempted to contact him.

Thing is that I am so angry that I know I won't be polite and I'm old and wise enough to know that you don't get through to people while angry.

I have a  question which is somewhat off topic:

What is the correct thing to do when one happens to notice that a fellow contributor has innocently misidentified something in their collection?
Do you write and say something (privately), or would that be considered rude so you leave it alone?

2 minutes ago, DDoug said:

What is the correct thing to do when one happens to notice that a fellow contributor has innocently misidentified something in their collection?
Do you write and say something, or would that be considered rude so you leave it alone?

I think most of us would be grateful for a polite correction - everyone slips up at one time or another

Alex

Thing is in this case, it's a contributor who's in the process of uploading a large portfolio with way off the mark tags. Spam is not strong enough a word. 

In this particular case, it's not a mistake.

If it's a one off genuine mistake, I would let it go. Yes, we all make mistakes. I'm sure I have the odd typo or error myself. Also, there is no longer an PM facility.

Why am I so upset about this particular contributor is that he's uploaded tons of images with location 'Kiama' (where I live) which were taken several thousand kms from here.

20 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

I think most of us would be grateful for a polite correction - everyone slips up at one time or another

Alex

Thanks, Alex and Martin. In this case, I'm quite sure it's an inadvertent error. The photo is of an antique American vehicle and the contributor is British. The differences between models would be subtle to someone who is not familiar with them.

After browsing through this post this morning, I did a random search.  Cat ornament and clicked new. The first page was enough to put me off searching through anymore but actually laughed out loud at one particular image, towards the bottom of the page and the keywords attached. See if you can guess which one. I thought maybe just a mistake, which lets face it we all do sometimes, but looking further I am not so sure.

Are we supposed to highlight this sort of thing to Alamy and also where images are uploaded twice, once by the photographer the again by an agency? I see alot of these duplications. 

14 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Just to give the benefit of the doubt.

During the week I had to rekeyword all of a batch after LR applied all the keywords of all of the images to all of the images. Even the keywords with asterisks next to them which shows that that keyword doesn;t apply to all of the selection. Maybe perhaps possibly these people didn;t catch the gremlins .

sorry - what we have been discussing relates to contributors who deliberately falsely keyword images including with locations, cities and towns - its highly improbable that this is an error 

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

How well - or badly - other contributors keyword their pix isn't something I'm concerned about. I'm hoping that contributors who spam with inappropriate keywords will quickly fall down the rankings...

but they don't fall down the rankings on a "new" search or in circumstances where there are only a few image for a search

it also does nothing to enhance the reputation of Alamy - and we all want more buyers to visit Alamy

17 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

but they don't fall down the rankings on a "new" search or in circumstances where there are only a few image for a search

it also does nothing to enhance the reputation of Alamy - and we all want more buyers to visit Alamy

OK then... are you going to police the Alamy archive? No, me neither. :)

8 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

why leap to the far end of the spectrum with that comment - a little petulant don't you think

we are having a discussion about an issue that concerns some contributors

i don't like Donald Trump but i don't intend to become an american citizen and run for President 

but i can have an opinion 

In the case of the German agency the problem may well be the automated translation.

The Cat for a Hangover image gives a vital clue: Hangover is Kater in German and Dutch. Which is Cat in English.

Let's hope Alamy uses a different process to automate the translation.

Or our images would look just as daft in those languages.

wim

7 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

why leap to the far end of the spectrum with that comment - a little petulant don't you think

we are having a discussion about an issue that concerns some contributors

i don't like Donald Trump but i don't intend to become an american citizen and run for President 

but i can have an opinion 

Petulant? No. I'm just expressing my opinion too (smiley face 'n' all).

Other people's poor or misguided keywording is just 'one of those things'. Alamy are obviously aware of the shortcomings in their vast archive, while realising they can't do much to improve matters. They've created a monster!

15 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

We're not talking about archive but about a certain contributor who is in the process of uploading masses of images with totally spurrious  tags and locations. I check regularly what is being uploaded for Australia in the 'New' tab and see his portfolio growing rapidly. His images might well sink after a while but how long will it take? In any case, as already pointed out, ranking does not apply to the 'new' tab.

Surely, it would be easy for Alamy to block any further upload until spam is corrected. This would benefit everybody.

3 hours ago, DDoug said:

Do you write and say something (privately), or would that be considered rude so you leave it alone?

I don’t take ID lightly. I do my research. But mistakes happen to everyone. If anyone sees a plant or insect I’ve got wrong, I’ll bake you a pie if you steer me right. Since we can’t message each other now, a shame, but a polite nudge is appropriate. What’s bad about that is that we don’t always see every post made, even the forum furniture. :) Whereas we would see that we have a message waiting.

I guess we can email CR and ask them to pass the message on. I’m sure they’d just love that. :D

Betty

Archived