I've been with Alamy since 2015 and sold only 4 images. The last two were sold recently by a third party agency and one of the major ones here in Sweden to a magazine. The sales info says

Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 10,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 2 page spread
Start: 01 March 2017
End: 01 March 2022
Duration: 1 month

Alamys's price for such a usage is £ 150. The images have been sold for $ 21. I get $ 6. I understand the deal but I find it very strange that the third party agency is allowed to set its own prices and give away my images to such a low price compared to Alamy’s prices. To get $ 6 for two images in a magazine that can be sold for 5 years feels like being cheated. This is the answer I got from Alamy:

"This sale was made through one of our Distributors and they’ll charge what they think to be a competitive price in their market. It’s in everyone’s interest to get the highest price for each sale as the money is split three ways, but sometimes these prices look small when compared with similar licenses in the UK & US. Remember these are customers we wouldn’t normally reach as it’s a sale through our Distribution scheme and an “Additional Revenue Option”."

I tried to find out who the customer is but Alamy refuses to give such info. I contacted the agency and they gave me the info in a minute. I found out that the buyer was a newspaper not a magazine. Maybe they used the images for a montly magazine that comes with the newspaper. The price makes more sense.

My lowest distributor sale ever $2.49 was to Sweden, but then so was my highest distributor sale $200+ which showed up earlier this year.

I've also owned two Volvos, a 1968 122S, which was a fantastic car that I drove for years, plus a 1980's model that was a total piece of junk that cost me a fortune.

I've never been to Sweden, but it sounds like a land of extremes. B)

UPDATE:  I take that back, the Swedish dist sale was my second lowest. The booby prize goes to the Russian Fed $1.84.

My lowest distributor sale ever $2.49 was to Sweden, but then so was my highest distributor sale $200+ which showed up earlier this year.

I've also owned two Volvos, a 1968 122S, which was a fantastic car that I drove for years, plus a 1980's model that was a total piece of junk that cost me a fortune.

UPDATE: I take that back, the Swedish dist sale was my second lowest. The booby prize goes to the Russian Fed $1.84.

Deleted

Alamys's price for such a usage is £ 150. The images have been sold for $ 21. I get $ 6. I understand the deal but I find it very strange that the third party agency is allowed to set its own prices and give away my images to such a low price compared to Alamy’s prices. To get $ 6 for two images in a magazine that can be sold for 5 years feels like being cheated. This is the answer I got from Alamy:

"This sale was made through one of our Distributors and they’ll charge what they think to be a competitive price in their market. It’s in everyone’s interest to get the highest price for each sale as the money is split three ways, but sometimes these prices look small when compared with similar licenses in the UK & US. Remember these are customers we wouldn’t normally reach as it’s a sale through our Distribution scheme and an “Additional Revenue Option”."

When you quoted Alamy's price, I assume you were using the calculator.  Alamy had negotiated prices with many buyers, including newspapers, that give much lower prices than what the calculator shows.  So don't put this just on the distributors -- you probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere near that amount from a direct sale either.  I know that few of my sales are for over $100 regardless of usage.

Robert

UPDATE:  I take that back, the Swedish dist sale was my second lowest. The booby prize goes to the Russian Fed $1.84.

I would say that it is as far away from "extremes" as you can go. Everything thing is "lagom" like we like to call it - meaning not too much, not too little, but not the same thing as perfect or spot on, but more a restrained adequate measure. The only thing not "lagom" are the taxes, but on the other hand we do enjoy free healthcare, elderly care, free dentistry until 20, free education (all the way through Uni, students even get paid), state pensions. We pay a lot and we get a lot back. 

However, I've had a few low sales to Sweden myself, can't really figure out why - perhaps we're stingy?

Back when I operated as an agency in a small way, I had a few dealings with Sweden, but was not overwhelmed by fat fees. Did rather better in Denmark which was very nice.

The concept of :"Lagom" sounds attractive given our coming political turmoil but we cling to the idea of the free lunch. Any politician who stands up in the street and urges us voters to dig deep will be quickly run down by  big red bus

The beer's expensive.

Beer? In Sweden? :)   You should see the Elsinore area around the Scandlines ferries between Denmark and Sweden. Full of Swedes coping with heavy loaded carts headed towards the ferries.  :)  No problem, quite okay. Helps on the national income. (BTW, I may go to Sweden to buy other stuff - clothing for example).

Edited: PS The Nordic countries are more alike than different. We like and laugh at the small differencies - also in language :) .

If I lived in Sweden I would be too busy making photographs to complain. 

If I lived in Cali (did for a year near Lassen National Forest) I would also be busy making photographs!

In 1998 I spent two weeks in Sweden and Norway traveling in a car with a friend that still lives in Sweden.  I only had a pocket camera with me then.  I would never run out of things to photograph there.  I have been trying to get up to the Lassen area but the weather here hasn't been very cooperative.  Parts of the Sierra Nevada mountains have had up to 700 inches of snow (almost 18 meters) which is mind boggling.  We are just a few storms away from an all time record for precipitation.  Going out early tomorrow morning to try some Astrophotography.  There is another storm coming and I'm hoping that the light pollution isn't too bad or it could be a waste of time.

I would say that it is as far away from "extremes" as you can go. Everything thing is "lagom" like we like to call it - meaning not too much, not too little, but not the same thing as perfect or spot on, but more a restrained adequate measure. The only thing not "lagom" are the taxes, but on the other hand we do enjoy free healthcare, elderly care, free dentistry until 20, free education (all the way through Uni, students even get paid), state pensions. We pay a lot and we get a lot back. 

However, I've had a few low sales to Sweden myself, can't really figure out why - perhaps we're stingy?

Sounds a bit like Canada. Taxes probably aren't as high, but we can no doubt be stingy as well.

Martin! speak for yourself! Im not at all happy with the swedish way of selling beers and wine! if I want to buy a bottle in the evening I would like to be able to get it!  hahahahihihihihi!  oh well you know what I mean! :D

Didn't you know Sweden is a third world country like Ethiopia, Vanuatu ..... and Belgium <_<

BEP12E.jpg

Stockholm

Cheers,

Philippe

Hahaha! yeah well at least we dont lick the floors of the imbecile EU politicians, haha! I say SWEXIT! and you Philippe will have to start campaigning for BEXIT!

Martin! speak for yourself! Im not at all happy with the swedish way of selling beers and wine! if I want to buy a bottle in the evening I would like to be able to get it!  hahahahihihihihi!  oh well you know what I mean! :D

Perhaps I have less of an issue as I don't consume very much ;) A few bottles of whisky and I'm covered for a few years - I'm a photographer, can't afford to drink more than that ;)

Didn't you know Sweden is a third world country like Ethiopia, Vanuatu ..... and Belgium <_<

BEP12E.jpg

Stockholm

Cheers,

Philippe

Hahaha! yeah well at least we dont lick the floors of the imbecile EU politicians, haha! I say SWEXIT! and you Philippe will have to start campaigning for BEXIT!

On this we agree, but perhaps for different reasons. Keep the freedom of travel, work and trade and leave it at that.

I've been with Alamy since 2015 and sold only 4 images.

You are to be congratulated. Alamy now has over 100 million images online (I'm old enough to be able to imagine this as a pile of 35mm transparencies and it would be bigger than several Volvo's stacked on top of each other, I guess.) To have 4 sales with only 615 images contributed is nothing short of miraculous. We probably need a new metaphor to describe your contribution in the greater scheme of things, as "a drop in the ocean" doesn't come close.

My advice is to concentrate on building up your collection of images (at least try to put a 0 on the end of your total) and let Alamy get on with selling them, for now. You may not feel so cheated when you're selling 4 a week.

I've been with Alamy since 2015 and sold only 4 images. The last two were sold recently by a third party agency and one of the major ones here in Sweden to a magazine. The sales info says

Well, the agency is IBL and they are in competion in the race to the bottom. They have a deal with the news-paper Expressen that gives the paper a no-limit access to the IBL files for a fixed sum per month. This sum is then divided up among  all the photographers whos pictures sold that month. Not a very good idea, I think, so I'm out of distribution and please note: it is only during the month of April that that is possible.

Rolf

Stockholm, Sweden

You are to be congratulated. Alamy now has over 100 million images online (I'm old enough to be able to imagine this as a pile of 35mm transparencies and it would be bigger than several Volvo's stacked on top of each other, I guess.) To have 4 sales with only 615 images contributed is nothing short of miraculous. We probably need a new metaphor to describe your contribution in the greater scheme of things, as "a drop in the ocean" doesn't come close.

My advice is to concentrate on building up your collection of images (at least try to put a 0 on the end of your total) and let Alamy get on with selling them, for now. You may not feel so cheated when you're selling 4 a week.

Yes you could look at it in that way. I just reacted to the difference in price. :)

Well, the agency is IBL and they are in competion in the race to the bottom. They have a deal with the news-paper Expressen that gives the paper a no-limit access to the IBL files for a fixed sum per month. This sum is then divided up among  all the photographers whos pictures sold that month. Not a very good idea, I think, so I'm out of distribution and please note: it is only during the month of April that that is possible.

Rolf

Stockholm, Sweden

Yes, It's IBL and I found out that the buyer is Dagens Nyheter. Their monthly edition is about 280 000 so I've asked IBL why the usage info says 10000. Since I haven't sold other images I have to stay with the distribution deal until my sales go up someday. :)

Yes you could look at it in that way. I just reacted to the difference in price. :)

I know what your concern was, but my advice is to get more images online and then the smaller sales will be compensated for by the bigger ones. My lowest so far is €4 and my biggest is €1100.

Archived