How to copy tags from old images to new uploaded images

Just had this back from Alamy regarding my query in copying key words using the new AIM system.

You can make tags common from old submissions. If you CTRL click and double click the left hand mouse button, the 2 (or more) submissions in the left pane that have the images where you want to make tags common, all images from those submissions will come up in your main image window, and then you can select the images and click the tags to make them common.

many thanks Alamy support.

Just had this back from Alamy regarding my query in copying key words using the new AIM system.

You can make tags common from old submissions. If you CTRL click and double click the left hand mouse button, the 2 (or more) submissions in the left pane that have the images where you want to make tags common, all images from those submissions will come up in your main image window, and then you can select the images and click the tags to make them common.

This works when the images concerned are in submissions you can remember. But, if you can't remember which submission the image you want to copy the keywords from is in, it's not so easy. So far as I can see there's no easy way to find this out. Shame the search and filters don't work in combination as this would help.

I've been slowly adding titles to my submissions. Mainly as I work on a legacy sub. Maybe you could find the subs with images you know you'll often want to copy tags from, and title them in a way that you can more easily find in future.

Yes, I realize what a pain hunting them up to title would be, but it might help down the road.

Betty

Handy but as you say limited.

One could go back and name subs, but you can't search for a named sub.

Just noticed the button for sorting subs- has that just been updated? You can sort by name, which gets you the ones you have named to the top of the list. Unrenamed ones stay at the bottom.

I find that copying and pasting the metadata from one of my older images found in general Alamy search is far faster than all this clicking around in the new IM but it apparently doesn't work for all. Works for me though.

Just noticed the button for sorting subs- has that just been updated? You can sort by name, which gets you the ones you have named to the top of the list. Unrenamed ones stay at the bottom.

Cool, I didn't know that. That would definitely make finding a sub with images containing oft-used tags easier.

Just needs a creative title to make it easy.

I would suggest those subs that are the most important with the most used tags be renamed A (whatever content is) Then B, C etc. The rest of the title describing exactly the content.

A-Oklahoma City downtown

B-St. Croix, beach

C-Robins, blue jays, house finches.

If I didn't tag in Bridge and needed to copy from old subs, the reordering of subs would make finding commonly used tags much easier, Mark. I would give my most important sub the letter A, making it simple to find. Listed alphabetically, it would be at the top. And so on with next most used.

Yay for those who might benefit from reordered subs!

Betty

I checked the November blog. The sort button has always been there.

I've been slowly adding titles to my submissions. Mainly as I work on a legacy sub. Maybe you could find the subs with images you know you'll often want to copy tags from, and title them in a way that you can more easily find in future.

Yes, I realize what a pain hunting them up to title would be, but it might help down the road.

Betty

Trouble is my submissions have often contained a mixture of shots from different shoots, so there's no logical way to name them. Also I tend to submit in batches of 10 so a single shoot often splits between submissions, so there's rather a lot of submissions which don't fit with a single shoot name. Sure I can change my workflow for the future, but that doesn't help with my legacy images.

I've usually not made mixed subs so it's relatively straightforward. But over time you can probably refine it and just get to know where images are. I have 334 subs, apparently. I've named back a year or so, but some of them are really just bookmarks.

Betty

Trouble is my submissions have often contained a mixture of shots from different shoots, so there's no logical way to name them. Also I tend to submit in batches of 10 so a single shoot often splits between submissions, so there's rather a lot of submissions which don't fit with a single shoot name. Sure I can change my workflow for the future, but that doesn't help with my legacy images.

My subs are like yours. A mishmash. So I title: birds,stores,iPad. Or Paddleboards,cookies,roses. There's a few less important subject not listed, but I doubt I'll be trying to find them.

This works when the images concerned are in submissions you can remember. But, if you can't remember which submission the image you want to copy the keywords from is in, it's not so easy. So far as I can see there's no easy way to find this out. Shame the search and filters don't work in combination as this would help.

I thought I'd worked out a solution that would provide old and new images next to each other.... Write down the Alamy ref of the old image that you want to copy keywords from, the do a search in the new MI for Old Image Alamy Ref AND New Image Alamy Ref(s). But... if the new image(s) aren't yet on sale, it doesn't find them. Arrghh!

I've found that you can have two instances of the IM open at the same time, but, frustratingly, I've not found any means of taking full advantage of this. Comes back to the problem of no copy and paste for the tags.

If you use detailed captions, and locations, then that might provide a partial solution as, presumably, they can be copied across.

I've found that you can have two instances of the IM open at the same time, but, frustratingly, I've not found any means of taking full advantage of this. Comes back to the problem of no copy and paste for the tags.

If you use detailed captions, and locations, then that might provide a partial solution as, presumably, they can be copied across.

It's a massive mistake not having copy and paste, the feel on the new IM is good, but so far I'm finding it impossible to edit without the ability to copy and paste, surely everyone does this on phones and on most programmes, even the old IM could do that, not having the ability, to copy, cut & paste is totally ridiculous in my opinion!

I find that copying and pasting the metadata from one of my older images found in general Alamy search is far faster than all this clicking around in the new IM but it apparently doesn't work for all. Works for me though.

Problem is that not all tags are displayed.

As far as I am aware, I am seeing all the keywords/tags on my images when I do a general Alamy search.

Copy and paste works on the location but is VERY awkward when the location is long and you can't see all of it. Both the caption and location fields are much more difficult to see and work with than the previous Image Manager. I find myself just longing for those nice big fields with decent fonts That I could see easily.

Paulette

I just decided to try the view in the new image manager that expands the right hand panel to supposedly make it more easy to work there. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that both the caption and location fields become SMALLER. With a relatively short location several words didn't show and the font didn't improve a bit. Too faint, too small. I'm sure the people who work on these things have giant monitors and a lot of you do too but, please, we need a bit of help for those of us on laptops.

Paulette

Archived