Discoverability, Stars and Keywords

So the new image manager seems to involve twice the work in order for an image to be discoverable. It looks as thought every image needs 42 keywords to get the green bar at the top. This is a lot of key words for one image. Other stock libraries use a lot less and I get sales. Please Alamy can you explain why so many? 

I've been experimenting with this "Discoverability" thing and it's a complete nonsense IMO. Requires unnecessary  'tags' to make the silly thing go green. So what?

This is a continuation of the dumbing down at Alamy. Haven't they realised since the 'Creative' and 'Novel Use' debacles?

Richard

Please will someone tell me what the devil a "Supertag" is? B)

You do seem to be spending some time in your burrow. Here is where Alamy has put our instructions.... http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/7028-instructions-help-video-and-links-for-new-alamy-image-manager/  Many threads also discuss  the tags. Generally, we are grumpy.

Paulette

Ed, are those the keywords we used to put in the 3rd box down in the old forms?  Can't be can it as we were allowed more than 10!  I think I am totally confused... :wacko:

I've been experimenting with this "Discoverability" thing and it's a complete nonsense IMO. Requires unnecessary  'tags' to make the silly thing go green. So what?

This is a continuation of the dumbing down at Alamy. Haven't they realised since the 'Creative' and 'Novel Use' debacles?

Richard

I tend to agree, but it does seem to signal a change in thinking on Alamy's part. Why are they now implying that we should pack our images with so many keywords / tags? That's the question that comes to my mind. A clarification would be helpful.

Ed, are those the keywords we used to put in the 3rd box down in the old forms?  Can't be can it as we were allowed more than 10!  I think I am totally confused... :wacko:

It was the top keyword box. .the 3rd box was "comprehensive keywords" if I remember rightly.

New tool.. new rules on how many you can enter (although I think it was a 50 character limit  rather than a count of keywords before so had you used single character keywords (don't ask me why), you could have managed 25 essential 'keywords' previously  :P )

OK, so I experimented.  I selected 10 supertags on some old images but it was only when my total number of keywords reached 42 or more (I think) that the orange bar went to green!  May seem daft, but won't some people be adding just any old keywords just to get the numbers up and pass the "Discoverability" test!  :wacko:

So, when you look at your image tags, they all have a star symbol on them. You can choose 10 tags by clicking on the star and changing its color to blue. The supertag is the analog or counterpart of essential tag in the old image description window. Earlier you were allowed just 50 letters and spaces between the words, now you are allowed 10 power words.

Just to increase discoverability and to make the bar green you can go to the Optional tag and add location of the photo and add the photo to Primary and Secondary categories.

Thanks Broken Pixel, I eventually discovered (pardon the pun) how to do supertags.  It still doesn't "green you up" without those additional ordinary keywords.  Lets all get paranoid, what do you say???!!! :P

Thanks Broken Pixel, I eventually discovered (pardon the pun) how to do supertags.  It still doesn't "green you up" without those additional ordinary keywords.  Lets all get paranoid, what do you say???!!! :P

From the postings on all the forums here I think we must nearly all be "PARANIOD" by now. :wacko:

Excuse the shouting I have Tourette's which does not HELP matters. ;)

Allan

It seems that the discoverablilty "feature" is useless.

What if it isn't?  What if this metric is actually used by the search engine to order displayed images?

In that case Alamy would be requiring us to keyword spam.  Would that go part way to explaining why images I've cleaned up (reducing duplicate keywords so the total is less than 50, going from green to yellow) drop in search results?

Alamy of course are reluctant to provide clear information about their algorithm.  We have to guess.  If the above is true, Alamy encourages keyword spamming.  If not, they've introduced a silly metric that serves no function.

The best we can do is share information about how keywording modifications alter search results. 

Of course, with the search results changing daily, this will be a herculean feat.

You do seem to be spending some time in your burrow. Here is where Alamy has put our instructions.... http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/7028-instructions-help-video-and-links-for-new-alamy-image-manager/  Many threads also discuss  the tags. Generally, we are grumpy.

Paulette

I'm not grumpy, you made me smile! :D

Paulette

I'm not grumpy, you made me smile! :D

Thank you, Betty. You make me smile too.

Paulette

Maybe Alamy thinks that we don't all have lives outside this website........... :D

Sometimes life is too short to dig too deep. I don't make the big changes. When I come across images or themes I need to edit, I'll do it. I won't systematically start from one end. Life is really too short.

Archived