Significant changes in DACS system

It's going to be a lot harder to do it yourself with these changes. Especially for those of us not in the UK. 

I know one of my images was in Garden World magazine some years back since someone on the forum found it. Would anyone of you UK folks be able to find out the ISBN number of that magazine and let me know either here or by PM? Much appreciated! 

I found a lot of my book images but for UK magazines it's going to be really tough. 

It's going to be a lot harder to do it yourself with these changes. Especially for those of us not in the UK. 

I know one of my images was in Garden World magazine some years back since someone on the forum found it. Would anyone of you UK folks be able to find out the ISBN number of that magazine and let me know either here or by PM? Much appreciated! 

I found a lot of my book images but for UK magazines it's going to be really tough. 

Are you saying that the "see Alamy spreadsheet" option might not be available on next year's claim form -- i.e that we will have to hunt down ISBN's if we file on own own?

I like the sound of it, additional revenue for publications on the photocopied list, fortunately I've kept a spreadsheet for everything I've found of mine in books and magazines from the year dot, although I'd better not order that new Blad, just yet, until we see how much it adds!

https://www.uniquemagazines.co.uk/BBC-Gardeners-World-Magazine-Subscription-p1355

Here's the text of the email I received.

Payback is changing – Help us get the most for you!
Help determine DACS’ share of your Payback royalties.Submit your 2017 claim and a new publication history by 17 February.
Save the date - Payback 2017 will be opening earlier on 16 January 2017.

1. How you can benefit

By submitting your Payback 2017 claim by 17 February you will be playing your part in helping DACS secure the best possible share of royalties to be paid out to you and thousands of others visual artists. In 2016, this share was a record £5.5 million in Payback royalties which DACS distributed to 35,000 visual artists.

Why?
Put simply, if everyone enters their Payback 2017 claim by 17 February, then DACS will have the best possible set of complete and up-to-date claims data based on how many times your artworks appear in books or magazines.

DACS must submit the claims data as a new requirement following the recent mediation between the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) and visual representative organisations.

This information will then be used to determine how much money DACS vs. other visual representative organisations like ALCS and PICSEL will receive from the CLA for Payback royalties.  

DACS will then pay out this money to you and thousands of others, just as we have done every single year since 2001.

2. A chance for additional royalties

For the first time in 2017 and in addition to your 2017 claim form, you can now also claim from a distinct royalty pot this year - worth 10% of the overall share of royalties for all visual artists.

If any of your UK publication history is matched by the Copyright Licensing Agency in their list of UK photocopied publications – you get additional royalties!

Maximise your claim by submitting the following information for all your previous UK publication history up until 31 December 2016:
ISBN/ISSN numbers for books and magazines
Title of publication
Number of times your work has appeared in each publication
What you need to know
You will need to provide the ISBN/ISSN for every UK publication, not just the examples we require in the claim form from previous years. 

We will provide full details of how to make this claim in the New Year.

Don’t worry if you don’t know every ISBN/ISSN for every single UK publication; for now, simply send us as much as you can by 17 February.

We appreciate that this may seem like a time-consuming task but by submitting these additional details you have the chance to get the most out of your Payback claim.

Each following year you will be able to update your claim with any new information, building up a comprehensive publication history. The percentage for this royalty pot will increase every year for the next five years in line with the new requirements for more data.

Find out more

Visit our website for more information, tools and resources for submitting your claim and helpful FAQs.

As always, we are here to answer any questions you might have, so please do give us a call or drop us an email at payback@dacs.org.uk.

We will be in touch in the New Year with more information and help guide you through the Payback process. 

Remember
Claim by 17 February 2017 to maximise the share of royalties that DACS can distribute to you.
Include all publication history details to claim from the new distinct royalty pot by 17 February 2017.
All claims must be completed when Payback closes on 1 May 2017.

Best wishes,

The Payback Team
020 7553 9099
payback@dacs.org.uk

The difficulty with submitting a claim by 17th Feb is that we often don't find out about some sales until several months after publication.

I haven't paid much attention to threads on this subject, assuming it is mostly a British thing that doesn't apply to me.

Then this morning I got a DACS payment, although I've not submitted any claims. Thanks to Alamy for taking care of this on my behalf.

I agree, 17th Feb. is too early. Some sales probably won't have been reported.

Think I've figured out the changes. I'll be submitting my claim on my own as usual as it's very easy to do. Not sure that I'm going to spend a lot time tracking down ISBN's, though. Probably not worth the effort.

Notice that I just got the DACS e-mail as well.

This is additional information which will help DACs fight off PICSEL and ALCS who are attempting to hijack some of the funds available for distribution from the Copyright Licensing Agency. We do not have to report chapter and verse, but we can help out a little if we know the details of some more publications. Feb is the deadline for the extra information, but not the final deadline for the main claim

DACs is our friend, time will tell if PICSEL is friend or foe. The whole thing is messy and unnecessary

It's a UK thing really, but a modest bonus for some overseas contributors.

The difficulty with submitting a claim by 17th Feb is that we often don't find out about some sales until several months after publication.

Those sales we miss will just be added to the following year.

Allan

This is additional information which will help DACs fight off PICSEL and ALCS who are attempting to hijack some of the funds available for distribution from the Copyright Licensing Agency. We do not have to report chapter and verse, but we can help out a little if we know the details of some more publications. Feb is the deadline for the extra information, but not the final deadline for the main claim

DACs is our friend, time will tell if PICSEL is friend or foe. The whole thing is messy and unnecessary

It's a UK thing really, but a modest bonus for some overseas contributors.

I must say, as a member of both ALCS* and DACS, it's really sad to see them fighting off each other. 

(*For those wondering, ALCS is kind of, roughly, similar to DACS but for authors.) 

Douglas...I finally discovered my Other Income is indeed a DACS payment.  I did not receive any money;

will it come from Alamy or the DACS office?  I live in Florida and have never applied to DACS.  I guess

Alamy did it for me for which I am grateful.

denden

denden,

Click on "View your account balance" to see the amount you will be paid. It is listed as Cleared.  I recall giving Alamy permission to make the claim on my behalf (not familiar enough with this to do it myself) and agreed to a 50/50 split. So in my case the money comes from DACS to Alamy, then they send me half. 

The way i understand it if you do not supply isbn numbers you will not get a cut of another pot of money (which is a lot smaller than the normal one we claim from). You will still get a cut of the normal pot of money. Will alamy search through for every sales isbn numbers when submitting on your behalf? I am not sure, it will certainly be a massive job if they do. Even if they do will the extra 50% you make from the extra pot be more than the 50% they take from your main payout. I personally dont think so , so i will continue submitting the dacs myself even though it will mean missing out on the extra bit of money as I am sure alamy will stick by their stance on not releasing customers details to us

Kevin

The way i understand it if you do not supply isbn numbers you will not get a cut of another pot of money (which is a lot smaller than the normal one we claim from). You will still get a cut of the normal pot of money. Will alamy search through for every sales isbn numbers when submitting on your behalf? I am not sure, it will certainly be a massive job if they do. Even if they do will the extra 50% you make from the extra pot be more than the 50% they take from your main payout. I personally dont think so , so i will continue submitting the dacs myself even though it will mean missing out on the extra bit of money as I am sure alamy will stick by their stance on not releasing customers details to us

Kevin

Kevin,  I just reread their FAQs and you are right. The ISBNs are required only for the additional cut of another pot of money.  I will just submit my claim myself as I have been doing in the past.  Thanks for the clarification.

Archived