• Simon Evans EC6PKR
    • LSP CET1PT
    • gvallee ARYWJM
    • Michael Ventura B1CJXW
    • ColdCoffee EJ6H56
    • Kumar ATD3A0
    • NYCat D7KP67
    • Inchiquin DB7EYC

So here is my shortlist for the October Challenge. A few of the images walked onto the page without any questions but I had great difficulty choosing the others. I could have easily chosen a shortlist of 15. The final collection is somewhat eclectic.

So apologies to those who entered great shots that didn't make the shortlist - it was very tight indeed. Itt's been a real pleasure looking at all the images in detail and that I did for sure.

london-skyline-at-night-from-waterloo-br

Simon Evans

jungle-perch-kuhlia-rupestris-in-pool-be

LSP

canada-geese-in-winter-branta-canadensis

gvallee

usa-louisiana-la-cajun-country-breaux-br

Michael Ventura

new-orleans-louisiana-creole-queen-cruis

ColdCoffee

elephant-pilgrims-sonepur-sonpur-cattle-

Kumar

group-of-hippopotamuses-hippopotamus-amp

NYCat

london-eye-river-thames-and-houses-of-pa

Inchiquin

Very honored to make the short list. Thank You!!

I love this picture no doubt partly due to the fact that I love Cajun music which has all the connotations of the big river and the swamplands of southern USA.  I think the picture really captures something.

Thanks MDM for including one of mine. Great contest this one. Some absolutely terrific imagery. Cheers.

Yes I had difficulty choosing which one of yours to include in fact. All three were amazing.

Thanks MDM. Shortlisting must have been a hard task indeed.

It was very difficult. I love your picture for the colours and the light - everything  is muted and beige to grey, the geese and the surroundings all blending beautifully. 

You're lucky you could pick 8 - narrowing it down to one was really tricky - beautiful work! 

Indeed it was very difficult. I could have easily added another 10 including yours of the lighthouse.

I didn't think you'd pick one of mine, but there were certainly a lot of amazing images this month. Well done all who have been shortlisted.

Geoff.

evaporating-steam-fog-rising-over-the-ri

Actually this image was on the longer shortlist and was very close to making the final cut. It's got a great atmosphere and interesting composition. I hope you don't mind me making a comment about how I think you could perfect the shot - if it was my picture, I would be inclined to crop out some of the sky which would really focus the eye on the river scene. The judging process is so subjective really.

Thank you so much for including me. This was a subject I didn't expect to do well with since I so seldom do landscapes. When I took this I was quite fascinated by the visual effect of all those hippos and the strange water. The photographer I was with was just disgusted and didn't take any shots.

Paulette

Thanks MDM for shortlisting one of mine (even though I've now voted for someone else's!)

The backstory to the shortlisted picture: basically we nearly rolled the kayak coming in through the surf to this bay in Taveuni, Fiji. I said to my friend, I'll try to save the camera gear, you try to save the kayak. Somehow managed to win through to the creek mouth of this amazing little river running out over the beach. Crept upstream to a gorgeous pool with a waterfall and some normally very flighty jungle perch seemed happy to swim back and forth while I experimented with under-and-over shots.

Thank you so much for including me. This was a subject I didn't expect to do well with since I so seldom do landscapes. When I took this I was quite fascinated by the visual effect of all those hippos and the strange water. The photographer I was with was just disgusted and didn't take any shots.

Paulette

I think this is a really really amazing picture - National Geographic quality. There was never any doubt from the moment I saw it that it was going to make the shortlist. Visually it's excellent - the colours are really wonderful. Not only that, it's really symbolic of life on Earth at this time and what we humans have done to the environment and to the rivers - we are essentially living in our own excrement because of the amount of pollution. But that doesn't mean it's not visually beautiful. Brilliant photo.

Thanks MDM for shortlisting one of mine (even though I've now voted for someone else's!)

The backstory to the shortlisted picture: basically we nearly rolled the kayak coming in through the surf to this bay in Taveuni, Fiji. I said to my friend, I'll try to save the camera gear, you try to save the kayak. Somehow managed to win through to the creek mouth of this amazing little river running out over the beach. Crept upstream to a gorgeous pool with a waterfall and some normally very flighty jungle perch seemed happy to swim back and forth while I experimented with under-and-over shots.

Yes I love this picture too and thanks for the background to the pic. Technically difficult to do no doubt. I think it would be best seen large to appreciate the under and over-water effect - the little image here doesn't really do it justice.

WOW! Hard choice - will have to look a few times!

Doc (Kumar)

A few of yours were very on the longer shortlist as well Kumar but you being a real-life buddy probably counted a little against yours as I wanted to be totally fair and unbiased :) .

Paulette

I think this is a really really amazing picture - National Geographic quality. There was never any doubt from the moment I saw it that it was going to make the shortlist. Visually it's excellent - the colours are really wonderful. Not only that, it's really symbolic of life on Earth at this time and what we humans have done to the environment and to the rivers - we are essentially living in our own excrement because of the amount of pollution. But that doesn't mean it's not visually beautiful. Brilliant photo.

Thank you again for your appreciation. So flattering. All the hippo habitats were VERY stinky that year. It was a difficult year for Kenya. It was a long drought and the Masai cattle were all skin and bones. I was back there last year and when I mentioned the drought one of our guides said a lot of people died. It's such a beautiful continent and such a hard life for many of the people. We live in luxury.

Paulette

WOW! Hard choice - will have to look a few times!

Doc (Kumar)

A few of yours were very on the longer shortlist as well Kumar but you being a real-life buddy probably counted a little against yours as I wanted to be totally fair and unbiased :) .

LOL !!!

Good choice of images and a difficult voting choice too!

Kumar

Thank you very much for including one of mine! Great images! My favorite is the geeze .. Just amazing!

Yours definitely walked on by itself - beautiful high keyphoto. I'm not surprised it's currently leading if only by a short head.

Oh my goodness - viewed on my iPhone, there are 5 I'd like to vote for. Will have to wait until I can do them justice and view on large monitor.

Great selection, MDM

- Ann

Oh my goodness - viewed on my iPhone, there are 5 I'd like to vote for. Will have to wait until I can do them justice and view on large monitor.

Great selection, MDM

- Ann

Thanks Ann. Yours was another that was on the longer shortlist. It was so difficult leaving out all these other great shots.

Wow, I'm honored that my image is among such good company! That image is a prime example of why you should try to carry a camera with you at every opportunity.It was an opportunistic shot taken whilst walking to catch a train, using the guard rail of the bridge to rest the camera on due to the lack of a tripod.

Archived