Cow ID help please

That's a surprisingly difficult question. At first glance I'd say Jersey, because there doesn't seem to be any white on the body. But Jerseys have a dark nose, Guernseys have a pink one, but they usually have a lot more white on the body. Then again given you're in Scotland and the Ayrshire & the Guernsey are very similar.

If I had to pick one I'd go for a Jersey/Guernsey cross but the only way to be sure is to ask the farmer.

I'm guessing this is going to be more difficult to keyword than I thought it might be then. The pink nose of the Guernseys are swaying me that way but a cross with Ayrshire might not be out of the question. Do farmers prefer to keep purity of breed though? I wonder.

Definitely not a Jersey.  Dairy farmers tend to keep cattle lines more pure than beef farmers. At least here in Canada where the Holstein reigns supreme in the dairy business.  It could be a cross.  Does seem to be a dairy cow, not a beef cow.

Jill

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks.  :) With no fences to cage in her heard she was free to roam the hillside and little groups of houses typical of north west coastal scotland. She seemed quite comfortable on the soft bed of purple heather. I couldn't resist stopping the car to take her picture. She was totally comfortable with me being a few feet away. 

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks.  :) With no fences to cage in her heard she was free to roam the hillside and little groups of houses typical of north west coastal scotland. She seemed quite comfortable on the soft bed of purple heather. I couldn't resist stopping the car to take her picture. She was totally comfortable with me being a few feet away. 

That's wonderful. I used to see dairy cows grazing contentedly the fields around Vancouver. Now they spend most of their lives locked up in high-tech barns, which is a real travesty.

I lived on an Oklahoma small farm age 7-8. I made pets of everything. When one of the milk cows died of bloat, I was inconsolable. I'd given them all names.

When mother slaughtered the chickens, I wouldn't eat any because I didn't know which was the one that always sat in my lap while I stroked her.

I got in the pig pen to pet a pig and squirted back through the fence before the sow killed me. Even so, I looked at my step-father like he was a murderer when he slaughtered one. Brutal.

I wanted a horse so bad my teeth hurt. Note to self....don't use a cow as a substitute ever again. After that, I sat on an empty fuel barrel and pretended it was a horse. My prayers weren't answered until I was a mother, then I got my blood sorrel mare, Torchy.

I did save a baby mouse. Fed it milk from my Betsy-Wetsy doll bottle. It finally grew big enough to escape the matchbox nested with a soft flannel piece of my doll blanket. I cried.

Betty

I lived on an Oklahoma small farm age 7-8. I made pets of everything. When one of the milk cows died of bloat, I was inconsolable. I'd given them all names.

When mother slaughtered the chickens, I wouldn't eat any because I didn't know which was the one that always sat in my lap while I stroked her.

I got in the pig pen to pet a pig and squirted back through the fence before the sow killed me. Even so, I looked at my step-father like he was a murderer when he slaughtered one. Brutal.

I wanted a horse so bad my teeth hurt. Note to self....don't use a cow as a substitute ever again. After that, I sat on an empty fuel barrel and pretended it was a horse. My prayers weren't answered until I was a mother, then I got my blood sorrel mare, Torchy.

I did save a baby mouse. Fed it milk from my Betsy-Wetsy doll bottle. It finally grew big enough to escape the matchbox nested with a soft flannel piece of my doll blanket. I cried.

Betty

That's one of the main reasons I went veggie over 30 years ago (and I'm still here and in good health). If I had to "harvest" my own hamburgers, pork chops, lamb chops, etc., it just wouldn't work.

Like those big Grizzly bears out west, I'm an omnivore, as nature designed them. And me.  I eat semi-veg 6 days out of 7 days most weeks. Below is my favorite go-to veggie meal. I hope beer is part of a vegetarian menu.  In dire circumstances, I'll eat anything I might come across in the Donner Pass.

mexican-cuisine-whole-wheat-floor-quesad

Like those big Grizzly bears out west, I'm an omnivore, as nature designed them. And me.  I eat semi-veg 6 days out of 7 days most weeks. Below is my favorite go-to veggie meal. I hope beer is part of a vegetarian menu.  In dire circumstances, I'll eat anything I might come across in the Donner Pass.

I could manage the rice and the bread if I scraped the green sauce off. Other than that I'm one for cutting off the horns and cleaning its derriere type of guy.  :lol:  :D  ;)

I could manage the rice and the bread if I scraped the green sauce off. Other than that I'm one for cutting off the horns and cleaning its derriere type of guy.  :lol:  :D  ;)
I love me some grilled steak. And pork chops cooked under the broiler, and fried or roasted chicken. I put childhood behind me. ;)

I love me some grilled steak. And pork chops cooked under the broiler, and fried or roasted chicken. I put childhood behind me. ;)

Chacun à son goût, as the French say.

Personally, I think that we were wiser in many ways when we were children.

mexican-cuisine-whole-wheat-floor-quesad

Quesadillas con frijoles. ¡Que rico!

I hope that that one has sold, at least for personal use.

Dougie, the "green stuff" (salsa verde) is the best part. Even a Scotsman might learn to love it.

Dougie, the "green stuff" (salsa verde) is the best part. Even a Scotsman might learn to love it.

I'm sure many Scotsmen and women do love it, does it go well with steak? ;)

I'm sure many Scotsmen and women do love it, does it go well with steak? ;)

I guess there's only one sure way to find out. Perhaps Edo can mail you some for personal use. In Mexico, even real men like it. B)

Are we off subject here? Is that lovely cow going to have to go around breed-less? 

I've never suggested that quesadilla dish to anyone who hasn't loved it. Guacamole and sour cream fill the tortillas. Hey, you can eat Italian food for a week before you notice you've had no meat. But I am not a vegetarian. Today I will be stopping at Lupe's, the Mexican place, and having Chili Colorado, which is beef. My constant at Lupe's is a Negra Modelo, a dark Mexican beer. I call this my Vitamin B, but my favorite waiter calls it Vitamin C, for cerveza.  :)

Are we off subject here? Is that lovely cow going to have to go around breed-less? 

I've never suggested that quesadilla dish to anyone who hasn't loved it. Guacamole and sour cream fill the tortillas. Hey, you can eat Italian food for a week before you notice you've had no meat. But I am not a vegetarian. Today I will be stopping at Lupe's, the Mexican place, and having Chili Colorado, which is beef. My constant at Lupe's is a Negra Modelo, a dark Mexican beer. I call this my Vitamin B, but my favorite waiter calls it Vitamin C, for cerveza.  :)

I'm a fellow Negra Modelo fan. We didn't used to be able to buy it up here, but the taps have been opened and it's now easy to find. Hopefully, after 'The Wall' has been built, they will still be able to smuggle some in.

I sincerely wish that I could help Dougie with the bovine ID, but I'm afraid that I never got beyond the "How now brown cow" phase.

Oh, yes. Dark Mexican beer. I usually get the Dos Equis Amber. The only time I drink, really. I consider it food. Like Guinness. 

Paulette

Dos Equis Amber is also a fine choice. Beer is definitely a major food group in Mexico.

Dougie's as-yet-unidentified brown cow must have wandered off over the Scottish hills through the blooming heather by now.

Archived