No zooms

Hi all,

I haven't been with Alamy for very long, in fact at this stage only have 80 odd photos.

My querry is I've had a lot of views but no zooms at all. My CTR is now 0.0.

Is it because I have so few photos or composition needs work or are my keywords at fault. I've tried hard with them but having never keyworded before I'm not sure if I'm on the right track.

In the beginning a lot of my photos were way to dark. I've now calibrated my monitor and worked on my lightroom processing. 

I think my later photos are better but please be honest as I really want to improve.

Feeling a bit disheartened at the moment. 

Thanks for any feedback.

Bev

Hi Bev

Using a tablet at present, so not ideal for viewing, but most of your shots don't appear to be too dark. A few lack sparkle, e.g. GDRETJ could maybe do with a levels adjustment, those in Amsterdam are a bit bleak, but most appear OK to me.

Your collection is still very small, unfortunately these days it is something of a numbers game, maybe when you have several hundred images you'll start to see some action.

I could point out some individual problems, for example most of your soccer shots don't show much action, while they are taken from behind the players. The tourist shot GJFGWY is also taken from behind. You have some shots of pretty girls, but they don't appear to be doing anything in particular; editorial photos need to tell a story, however simple. For example I've just sold a photo of a woman picking litter. There is too much foreground in GBRXJP.

This all seems fairly negative, but you do have some saleable images, for example the crocodile photos tell a clear story. GFK5NA is a good action shot - but your keywords should maybe emphasise that it is girls who are playing.

I hope that this is helpful, it's a steep learning curve when you first get into this business, best of luck !

Your photos don't look too dark to me either, Bev. You've obviously done a lot of travelling. Check out Alamy Measures / All of Alamy to see what subjects buyers have been searching for recently in places that you've visited. Then see if you can fill in some gaps in Alamy's collection. That's what I would do for starters. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice.

Bryan, you said that GFK5NA was a good action shot but that my keywords should maybe emphasise that it is girls are playing.

Which other words could I use? I remember taking a lot of time on this shot and I can't for the life of me think of anymore .

Bev

Photos quite okay. I would lift / lighten some of the shadows a bit, though, be sure to check that the histogram curve is near perfect (nice curve starting and ending where it should)  - and add a little vibrance and even constrast to some. Your Sydney Opera needs to be a bit more sparkling, f.inst.

You can expect rather less than a sale a year with your current numbers. 

Just as an example, why only one image of Hallgrimskirkja? You must have taken more- details, landscape, from a distance- at least 5 would be good. However there are 2,488 images of it on Alamy and yours will be near the bottom-see the problem? This applies to a lot of your subjects. Some don't really illustrate anything- what would they be used for?

You have a few images of teenage girls so I'm guessing that maybe these are your daughters? If so, exploit them mercilessly! Also get them to sign model releases. I like GE0AT6 - more close-up action shots like this would go down well.

Alan

Hi Bev,

The above comments are all relevant re. proper exposure/contrast - simply compare GFK5M2 (good) with GDREW0 (not).

Also, look at better cropping of your images - eg:

GJFGTN: would be much better if you crop out the excess grass at the bottom and on the left side of the image (and also add the keywords "tackle" and "tackling" to the image)

GJFGX2: would be better cropping out the bit of motorcycle wheel at the left of the image which is a distraction

GJFGXW: would have been much better with the passenger's face in the image looking out, and would be a bit better with rather less, or none of the arm in it at all, but as it is doesn't really work.

and as above, get model releases for the images of the girls

Hope this helps

Kumar

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really do appreciate any advice you can give me.

I will have another look at my keywords now I have a bit more of an idea what I'm doing.

I'm never quite sure how tightly I should crop an image for example GJFGTN.

I'll definitely get the model releases.

Bev

The closeup of the girl in the hat and sunglasses. You have keyworded for upset. I suggest you add keywords, sunglasses, hat, sun protection,UV protection,skin protection. That may get you more than the emotional angle, because to me, her expression doesn't clearly denote "upset".

I took pictures of a teen girl family member and we did nothing else in the shoot but expressions. Several have sold, one multiple times. But the expressions were obvious.

You have misspelled versus in the caption for the crocodile image. I would like to see more keywords for those images. Think of what someone might use the image for. I would think "animal show". I'd add "human person animal interaction". I probably overdo my keywording but you might benefit from more than you are doing.

Paulette

Archived