My X-T2 coming...

I shall be using mine today for the first time but as I'm away from home for a couple of days I won't get to judge the photos until the weekend. I have only done the basics on setting up so still some learning to do there. Took a while just to work out how to format the card so maybe by Christmas....

Enjoy yours Betty.

Pearl

Got mine last week but limited time to use it so far. Taking it to Belgium this coming weekend (together with X-PRO2 and a range of lenses) - shooting a weekend of motor-racing (historics) at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit so should be a good test of AF (and weather resistance, knowing Spa).

Handling seems pretty much like the X-T1 but with the added benefits of items that appeared on the X-PRO2 like the focus point lever. The booster grip is bigger / bulkier than the battery grip on the X-T1 but the balance of it with the 50-140 and especially 100-400 is very good, better than when using the X-PRO2 with them, although that has handled motorsports very, very well this summer. I do very little video but am hoping to try it out whilst at the circuit as it's something I always regret not doing more of by the time I get home. 

Sounds like you all are ready to put it to the test.

Callie, I'm not sure of how rigid your expectations are with your gear. With Fuji, there are quirks. Like if you change a setting, it might cause another to not work.

For instance on the Fuji forum, someone would post about something not working and someone would perhaps answer "if face detection is on, that setting won't work".

Personally, in 2 1/2 years of shooting the T1, I've never had anything like that happen. Going Fuji put the fun back into photography for me. And as far as the quirks? It's like having a new beau that is a very hard worker and good looking. So you happily forgive that he left his shoes in the middle of the floor.

Flexibility in attitude is important.

I'm mostly concerned with quality Betty, quirks I can put up with, they can make life more fun too! I'm looking at it for the same reason as you too, to put a bit of fun back into photography - and also to lighten my heavy backpack. I would love to hear any comparisons canon 5dII owners have with the Fuji, I generally use the 24-105 L and the 24mmTS-E and 90mmTS-E so am curious as to how much of an effect a swap would have. I might just have to rent some kit one day and go out and play!

I'm mostly concerned with quality Betty, quirks I can put up with, they can make life more fun too! I'm looking at it for the same reason as you too, to put a bit of fun back into photography - and also to lighten my heavy backpack. I would love to hear any comparisons canon 5dII owners have with the Fuji, I generally use the 24-105 L and the 24mmTS-E and 90mmTS-E so am curious as to how much of an effect a swap would have. I might just have to rent some kit one day and go out and play!

Why not wait for the Canon m5 which is expected to be announced next week?

i also shoot with the 5 d m2, but instead of opting to go into a different system altogether, i am waiting to see what the m5 will offer. So far the rumoirs of the specs seem to be exciting .

You can check it out here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/more-eos-m5-images-specifications/

Why not wait for the Canon m5 which is expected to be announced next week?

i also shoot with the 5 d m2, but instead of opting to go into a different system altogether, i am waiting to see what the m5 will offer. So far the rumoirs of the specs seem to be exciting .

You can check it out here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/more-eos-m5-images-specifications/

thanks for the link, yes I would also be interested in checking this out. I did read that lenses would not be compatible so figured it is basically a different system whichever way I go. 

Renting would be good. The canon mentioned by njene is of similar enough size, you could keep the lenses you have.

Fuji X-T2 is mirrorless, of course, and Fuji has some of the best lenses out there. My 18-135 would cover your 24-105. If you go deep enough in my port, all of the storefronts were shot with it. It's been a good lens for stock. It's not real fast, but I always shoot it in good light and often have to dial in minus exposure comp.

Then there is a 90mm which I don't have. It doesn't have OIS but those who own it, love it.

I have the 2.8 50-140 and love it. If I take shots of a scene with people, this is my lens of choice. See all the paddleboard images on the first few pages. Then there are a lot of primes to choose from.

I also have the birding 100-400, the 10-24, 18-55 which is redundant after I bought the 18-135, but it's faster, lighter, and sharp. I just haven't been able to part with it.

Then the T2 has 4K video that eventually will become the choice option of the future. Meanwhile, full HD is there.

I sold my Nikon kit to finance my Fuji stuff.

Oh, I forgot my 1.8 56mm portrait lens!

The Fuji lenses do get really good reviews which is another plus in their favour. Do they have any good macro lenses? I read the canon will need an adaptor to use existing lenses with it, does anyone know if it affects quality?

I would love to hear any comparisons canon 5dII owners have with the Fuji

The closest I can get is 5D2 vs X-T1. For all the same reasons as everyone else I bought an X-T1 in the hope that it would replace my heavy DSLR kit. I was disappointed. The image quality was not as good (using 24-105 on the Canon and 18-55 on the Fuji); although I don't have large hands I found al the dials fiddly and relatively easy to alter inadvertently; the battery life was very poor compared with the Canon; I don't like electronic viewfinders (in a DSLR viewfinder I can see exactly what I'm getting in terms of light level rather than an auto-equalised level); the shutter release wasn't as smooth as the 5D2 which made the process seem a bit jerky; and one or two other things that I've now forgotten. There was nothing about the X-T1 apart from its size that was as good as the 5D2.

I kept the Canon and sold the Fuji. This was two years ago and I've never regretted it.

Alan

I'm ready to sell my Nikon gear and get a second mirrorless as backup for my Olympus - I love it - but I wish they would come out with a 24MP model and would love it if the sensor was larger like the Fuji, though I get good DOF and bokeh with my fast primes. I have to update my firmware and try the new mega focus stacking option. 

I'm tempted by the XT-2 but it would be expensive to go with two completely different systems. It would just be so nice to have two small cameras in my backpack - one with a nice zoom and one with a wide prime so I'm not stymied by the inability to switch lenses say on a windy sandy beach when I want a change in view and for news events the need for two cameras with varied lenses is also important. Plus, it's not a true backup camera if it can't take the same lenses if something goes wrong with one camera. 

Has anyone tried both the Olys and Fujis to compare? Any thoughts on having a collection of different cameras with incompatible lenses? A waste of time and space in your bag? Anyone compared the Fujis to the Sonys? Would welcome your thoughts. 

I would love to hear any comparisons canon 5dII owners have with the Fuji

The closest I can get is 5D2 vs X-T1. For all the same reasons as everyone else I bought an X-T1 in the hope that it would replace my heavy DSLR kit. I was disappointed. The image quality was not as good (using 24-105 on the Canon and 18-55 on the Fuji); although I don't have large hands I found al the dials fiddly and relatively easy to alter inadvertently; the battery life was very poor compared with the Canon; I don't like electronic viewfinders (in a DSLR viewfinder I can see exactly what I'm getting in terms of light level rather than an auto-equalised level); the shutter release wasn't as smooth as the 5D2 which made the process seem a bit jerky; and one or two other things that I've now forgotten. There was nothing about the X-T1 apart from its size that was as good as the 5D2.

I kept the Canon and sold the Fuji. This was two years ago and I've never regretted it.

Alan

Alan,

I too have the 5D Mk II and bought the X-T1 for the same reasons as you did, and I also am thinking of selling it, again for most of the reasons that you mentioned. I just don't like it as much as the 5D.

I'll keep it for the time being but it's not my first choice (I also have the Sony RX100 Mk II - a superb camera) so as a third choice camera it's a waste of money sitting there depreciating slowly.

John.

Sorry you all don't like it. I took a handful of images with the T2 today and they are everything I expected. I've been very pleased with my portfolio of the past 2 1/2 years with the T1 and now it gets even better. The 24mp is perfect. My Nikon 36mp was overkill.

Yes, when you go small, the controls are more crowded. Yet everything important is right there. And on the T2, locks have been installed on some controls to keep them from inadvertently being bumped and changed. I have the RX100 and also the mk lll, and you think it's easier to wrap a hand around? Not me, but I like the RXs just the same.

You aren't going to be able to go small without compromises.

Callie, the Macro is coming. It was supposed to be 120mm, but a few months back Fuji changed it to 80mm. I prefer the longer working distance, but that said, there are a lot of Fuji users thrilled with the new focal length. About the only thing I need more working distance with is skittish butterflies so I doubt it will matter much.

I'm not sure when it will be announced for preorder. Could be Christmas, could be 2017 sometime. It's the only lens I need to fill my kit.

A lot of people are using lenses from other systems with an adapter. I haven't paid much attention to the Fuji X adapted lens forum, what works best and such, but I've seen some nice images from them when they pop up on the main page.

I am with Betty, I sold a comprehensive Canon multi-body (1Dxx) kit and am now entirely Fuji X-Tx with most of the serious lenses, would like a couple of long, fast primes say 300mm f2.8 equivalent. Love the X-T2 and think it will do most of the sport/action I need (unlike X-T1) but I have not yet tried as much as I would like due to a bad back :( In fact it was weight and bulk that triggered the search for a lighter outfit after 40 years with Canon - see the story on my website.

I believe that you have to give new equipment plenty of time to get properly familar otherwise it will always feel awkward against one's "main" equipment. I took 2 years before I dropped Canon completely (and I had only used it once in a year)

If only fuji had gone with the Bayer array sensor the X-T2 would have been perfect.

The reason I sold my X-T1 outfit was because of the Fuji sensor array. Among other things.

Allan

I am with Betty, I sold a comprehensive Canon multi-body (1Dxx) kit and am now entirely Fuji X-Tx with most of the serious lenses, would like a couple of long, fast primes say 300mm f2.8 equivalent. Love the X-T2 and think it will do most of the sport/action I need (unlike X-T1) but I have not yet tried as much as I would like due to a bad back :( In fact it was weight and bulk that triggered the search for a lighter outfit after 40 years with Canon - see the story on my website.

I believe that you have to give new equipment plenty of time to get properly familar otherwise it will always feel awkward against one's "main" equipment. I took 2 years before I dropped Canon completely (and I had only used it once in a year)

Martin, you are so right on.

I hesitated to say this because it might be construed as being critical when that's not what I mean. This is what I feel.

One needs to be flexible and not compare one system one is used to to a new system. A mind set.

I basically threw out my Nikon years with a great system. Like I was picking up a serious camera for the first time.

The only difference being my understanding of DOF, shutter speed, aperture...which was only rudimentary when I started with Nikon.

It was a sense of wonder, a new exciting journey.

I did not look at going Fuji with a mind set of comparison and what I could niggle about, but of discovery and all the pluses of the new system.

Those who aren't of my philosophy aren't wrong, just different. Maybe it's my left hand right brain thing...but maybe not. I just get excited about new challenges. And it just works for me.

I'm waiting for some "real world" impressions about AF. I saw a lot of reviews and it seems really good but I trust the most the users opinions, the early review in the www and magazine are too often at least generous. I hope that the X-T2 will be as it seems in regards of AF and lag in the viewfinder, then I'll buy one in some months when the prices drops a little bit. I love my XT-10, compact, outstanding lens, and yes I set the camera RAW+Jpeg but it's incredible how good are the jpeg. So I'm curious to listen some words from the users next weeks now that the camera finally is delivered.

I'm waiting for some "real world" impressions about AF. I saw a lot of reviews and it seems really good but I trust the most the users opinions, the early review in the www and magazine are too often at least generous. I hope that the X-T2 will be as it seems in regards of AF and lag in the viewfinder, then I'll buy one in some months when the prices drops a little bit. I love my XT-10, compact, outstanding lens, and yes I set the camera RAW+Jpeg but it's incredible how good are the jpeg. So I'm curious to listen some words from the users next weeks now that the camera finally is delivered.

I don't usually shoot action, but have tried cyclists before. I need to go to the local trails and try that. Some coming toward and passing.

I need to make a laminated card of action settings. ;) I know I'll forget them.

I had a Canon 5Dii but upgraded to the 5Diii as I didn't like using the 5Dii at all.  The 5Diii I like much better, more because of the way it handles rather than the quality of the images which weren't that much different.  I mainly use the 24-105 and a macro lens.

When the Fuji X-T1 was introduced I got that and immediately loved it.  I have the 18-55, 18-135, 10-24 and 55-200.  I also have the X-T10 which I use for walking.  I have no problem with the quality of either camera and use them about 90% of the time and I just love the retro styling.  In fact the Canon mainly gets used indoors on a tripod, I only occasionally take it outside.

I will keep the Canon for now as it is easier for doing close-up / studio stuff but the Fuji will be my camera of choice for all travel type imagery.  I don't do sport so can't comment on how it performs there.

Now I have the X-T2 which I have been using for a couple of days the X-T1 will probably go on Ebay.  I can't yet comment on the quality of the images with the X-T2 as I haven't looked at them yet but I don't expect to be disappointed. I never had a QC fail with the X-T1 and expect the X-T2 to be better still.

Obviously there are different opinions on here which may depend on what the camera is used for but for me the Fuji has been a liberating camera putting the enjoyment back into photography.  It works more like my old film camera so seems more intuitive.

Hope that helps Callie.

Pearl

I'm with Betty on freeing ourselves from making strict comparisons between systems. 

I know my mirrorless Oly doesn't have quite the same bokeh or low-light capability that my D700 has, but when I went to spend close to a week on Cape Cod shooting stock and spent an entire day on Martha's Vineyard starting with a two-hour hike and then a total of 8+ hours hiking around with just a light backpack and my Oly with three lenses, and felt great the next day, no neck or back issues, I knew my decision to leave the Nikons at home was the right one. I can get on a plane with just a carry-on bag with clothes and my camera rig, rather than using my entire carry-on allowance for equipment. It's liberating. 

I've been reading up on the XT-2 and it sounds great. 

I'm with Betty on freeing ourselves from making strict comparisons between systems. 

I know my mirrorless Oly doesn't have quite the same bokeh or low-light capability that my D700 has, but when I went to spend close to a week on Cape Cod shooting stock and spent an entire day on Martha's Vineyard starting with a two-hour hike and then a total of 8+ hours hiking around with just a light backpack and my Oly with three lenses, and felt great the next day, no neck or back issues, I knew my decision to leave the Nikons at home was the right one. I can get on a plane with just a carry-on bag with clothes and my camera rig, rather than using my entire carry-on allowance for equipment. It's liberating. 

I've been reading up on the XT-2 and it sounds great. 

I feel the same way about my Sony NEX system. There are trade-offs for sure, but my tricky back and wonky hip that's going to need replacing soon don't miss the weight at all.

Fortunately, I don't need a lot of bulky, impressive-looking equipment -- that I couldn't afford anyway -- for what I do. If I did, it would of course be a different story.

I've spent a day shooting stock and am more than pleased with the files. Most of my shots were underexposed by a stop but I saw on the Fuji forum it's a matter of changing a setting, the EV I think, ( I need to look at that again) by -1 so the "what you see is what you get" matches.

Lifting the exposure in LR worked great.

So I'm still feeling the camera out. I've been using single AF and spot but am ready to try center- weighted and multi, and Continuous AF for action.

Meanwhile, I'm working on at least 80 good files with none needing deletion except for multiples.

ok, it's the EVF that needs adjusted.

Good to hear it is going well Betty. I'm still looking into the Fuji and Canon, I guess I will just have to rent for a day to be totally sure.

I had a Canon 5Dii but upgraded to the 5Diii as I didn't like using the 5Dii at all. The 5Diii I like much better, more because of the way it handles rather than the quality of the images which weren't that much different. I mainly use the 24-105 and a macro lens.

When the Fuji X-T1 was introduced I got that and immediately loved it. I have the 18-55, 18-135, 10-24 and 55-200. I also have the X-T10 which I use for walking. I have no problem with the quality of either camera and use them about 90% of the time and I just love the retro styling. In fact the Canon mainly gets used indoors on a tripod, I only occasionally take it outside.

I will keep the Canon for now as it is easier for doing close-up / studio stuff but the Fuji will be my camera of choice for all travel type imagery. I don't do sport so can't comment on how it performs there.

Now I have the X-T2 which I have been using for a couple of days the X-T1 will probably go on Ebay. I can't yet comment on the quality of the images with the X-T2 as I haven't looked at them yet but I don't expect to be disappointed. I never had a QC fail with the X-T1 and expect the X-T2 to be better still.

Obviously there are different opinions on here which may depend on what the camera is used for but for me the Fuji has been a liberating camera putting the enjoyment back into photography. It works more like my old film camera so seems more intuitive.

Hope that helps Callie.

Pearl

thanks Pearl, it certainly does help. I think the main thing I would miss from my Canon system would be my TS-E lenses. I use the 90mm ts-e mostly in the studio for food, so I think your solution of having this for indoors and a lighter system for taking out may be the way to go.

Archived