Editing - Do In RAW or JPEG?

But having the JPEG in the same folder lets me know which files I've developed. I mark the jpegs file name to reflect they've been uploaded to Alamy which is useful to me. I use Lightroom and PS CC, but don't catalogue Since I've been unwilling to figure out how to do it.

That's what I did. Photoshop completely overwhelmed me in the beginning. Then I bought a how-to book by Scott Kelby. He writes in a simple step by step way that wasn't over my head, and didn't assume I already knew things I didn't know. I bought several of his books.

I doubt, but don't know, that he does anything but Adobe software books, and I don't know if he's still writing them. Check it out and see. I would think since Adobe CC came out and is continuously updated, that would make up-to-date books hard.

Firstly Betty, you really really should take the little step it requires to learn how to use Lightroom in all its glory - I mean using catalogs. I'm only saying this (again) because you are clearly very able with software (contrary to the image you like to portray sometimes  :) and it is only a very tiny step. GIven that you are using LR as a raw converter and have clearly developed some serious Photoshop skills, you are really doing yourself down not taking the tiny mental jump into using LR catalogs that you seem to have developed such a barrier against. If you do take the little leap, then you will surely look back and kick yourself for not doing it ages ago.

I went from Bridge to LR in 2012 and was seriously annoyed at myself that I hadn't done it years before. A LR catalog is essentially a filing system which keeps a record of where your files are - a simple database in other words. And it is a highly efficient and stable database - Bridge is an inefficient file browser.

In fact Scott Kelby is still publishing like mad and I'm sure one of his Lightroom books would be your source of enlightenment. The catalog  system has not changed at all in years so you don't need the very latest book. I think Scott Kelby's books are brilliant in the way you describe - modular bits of learning that take you right through from the basics. Go on give it a go - you will love it I'm sure.

But having the JPEG in the same folder lets me know which files I've developed. I mark the jpegs file name to reflect they've been uploaded to Alamy which is useful to me. I use Lightroom and PS CC, but don't catalogue Since I've been unwilling to figure out how to do it.

That's what I did. Photoshop completely overwhelmed me in the beginning. Then I bought a how-to book by Scott Kelby. He writes in a simple step by step way that wasn't over my head, and didn't assume I already knew things I didn't know. I bought several of his books.

I doubt, but don't know, that he does anything but Adobe software books, and I don't know if he's still writing them. Check it out and see. I would think since Adobe CC came out and is continuously updated, that would make up-to-date books hard.

Firstly Betty, you really really should take the little step it requires to learn how to use Lightroom in all its glory - I mean using catalogs. I'm only saying this (again) because you are clearly very able with software (contrary to the image you like to portray sometimes  :) and it is only a very tiny step. GIven that you are using LR as a raw converter and have clearly developed some serious Photoshop skills, you are really doing yourself down not taking the tiny mental jump into using LR catalogs that you seem to have developed such a barrier against. If you do take the little leap, then you will surely look back and kick yourself for not doing it ages ago.

I went from Bridge to LR in 2012 and was seriously annoyed at myself that I hadn't done it years before. A LR catalog is essentially a filing system which keeps a record of where your files are - a simple database in other words. And it is a highly efficient and stable database - Bridge is an inefficient file browser.

In fact Scott Kelby is still publishing like mad and I'm sure one of his Lightroom books would be your source of enlightenment. The catalog  system has not changed at all in years so you don't need the very latest book. I think Scott Kelby's books are brilliant in the way you describe - modular bits of learning that take you right through from the basics. Go on give it a go - you will love it I'm sure.

I agree with this, Betty. You are much better than I am on the computer. I never get very far with Photoshop -- so much easier to just stay in Lightroom. If you begin with your new photos and use Scott Kelby's book you can decide later if you want to move older work into the Lightroom system.

Paulette

Beware of micro SD adapters, I had one damage the camera card slot. I now have to be very careful and stick to Transcend cards.

I have two of these samsung micro sd cards, samsung did a great design job as the micro sd fits perfectly within the card. I would be genuinely surprised if one of these cards I'm recommendin was enough of a defect to destroy a card slot.

They are good quality, I get speeds above 50 mbps, only limited by my hdd.

Hello Gordon, I was for some time a Canon user and can recommend the free software (DPP) that Bryan mentions above.

If you are a Nikon user, as I am now, they have their free download of Capture NX-D for processing their RAW images.

I believe Fuji also have their own software too but do not know if it is free or pay for. I think it comes free with the camera but pay for updates whereas Canon and Nikon have free updates.

Yes it will be a steepish learning curve to be able to use them but worth it in the end.

I now use the latest LR software for processing my RAW images then export them as TIFF to PS Elements for any final work and save both TIFF and jpeg. Actually I could skip the PSE step and just use LR but I have got into the habit now.

Hope this is of some use.

Allan  (Not teaching granny to suck eggs).

I agree with this, Betty. You are much better than I am on the computer. I never get very far with Photoshop -- so much easier to just stay in Lightroom. If you begin with your new photos and use Scott Kelby's book you can decide later if you want to move older work into the Lightroom system.

Paulette

In fact  using Lightroom for cataloging doesn't do anything to the files so you can continue to use your old system at the same time or go back if you want to. All LR does is create a pointer to a file or a folder, it doesn't move any files unless you tell it to do so. In other words, the file is not held in the catalog - the catalog just knows where to find it. Like an old-fashioned library catalog with cards, the filing cabinet does not contain the books, just the information about the books and where to find them.

If you are a Nikon user, as I am now, they have their free download of Capture NX-D for processing their RAW images.

I tried that a little while back when somebody here mentioned it and found iit ito be like walking through thick mud in terms of speed with very little going for it in terms of user interface and features. I think it is probably a token gesture from Nikon to provide some way of converting raw files but in reality I think Nikon have conceded that Lightroom rules - they have even signed an agreement to collaborate with Adobe as far as I know.

I tried that a little while back when somebody here mentioned it and found iit ito be like walking through thick mud in terms of speed with very little going for it in terms of user interface and features. I think it is probably a token gesture from Nikon to provide some way of converting raw files but in reality I think Nikon have conceded that Lightroom rules - they have even signed an agreement to collaborate with Adobe as far as I know.

It was me who mentioned it. I mentioned it again as it is free and I understood the OP did not wish to lay out money for processing software but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the carrying out the assessment.

Allan

That's right Allan. I'd forgotten it was you who brought it up. I still say that if anybody is serious about selling pictures, then professional quality software is essential. Recalling the expenditure required in the days of film, the annual price of Creative Cloud for photographers is negligible - the price of shooting one roll of slide film a month.

That's right Allan. I'd forgotten it was you who brought it up. I still say that if anybody is serious about selling pictures, then professional quality software is essential. Recalling the expenditure required in the days of film, the annual price of Creative Cloud for photographers is negligible - the price of shooting one roll of slide film a month.

The running cost of photography were certainly higher in the days of film - but then so were the returns if I remember rightly....

Firstly Betty, you really really should take the little step it requires to learn how to use Lightroom in all its glory - I mean using catalogs. I'm only saying this (again) because you are clearly very able with software (contrary to the image you like to portray sometimes :) and it is only a very tiny step. GIven that you are using LR as a raw converter and have clearly developed some serious Photoshop skills, you are really doing yourself down not taking the tiny mental jump into using LR catalogs that you seem to have developed such a barrier against. If you do take the little leap, then you will surely look back and kick yourself for not doing it ages ago.

In fact Scott Kelby is still publishing like mad and I'm sure one of his Lightroom books would be your source of enlightenment. The catalog system has not changed at all in years so you don't need the very latest book. I think Scott Kelby's books are brilliant in the way you describe - modular bits of learning that take you right through from the basics. Go on give it a go - you will love it I'm sure.

Paulette

In fact using Lightroom for cataloging doesn't do anything to the files so you can continue to use your old system at the same time or go back if you want to. All LR does is create a pointer to a file or a folder, it doesn't move any files unless you tell it to do so. In other words, the file is not held in the catalog - the catalog just knows where to find it. Like an old-fashioned library catalog with cards, the filing cabinet does not contain the books, just the information about the books and where to find them.

Are you available to become my life coach? I think you could build up my ego to the point I'd be slapping ya'll down on a regular basis! ;)

Edited to add: that tiny step looks like a ginormous brick wall to me. Ugh!

In fact using Lightroom for cataloging doesn't do anything to the files so you can continue to use your old system at the same time or go back if you want to. All LR does is create a pointer to a file or a folder, it doesn't move any files unless you tell it to do so. In other words, the file is not held in the catalog - the catalog just knows where to find it. Like an old-fashioned library catalog with cards, the filing cabinet does not contain the books, just the information about the books and where to find them.
Are you available to become my life coach? I think you could build up my ego to the point I'd be slapping ya'll down on a regular basis! ;)

I'm available but it would require an all expenses paid trip to Oklahoma for starters :). Scott Kelby is probably cheaper.

But try this. Open Lightroom and create a new catalog. Then hit the Import button on the bottom left, navigate to a folder of your existing (or a bunch of new) raw files and import them by hitting the import button on the bottom right. That's it - done - you now have a LR catalog and are on the other side of the wall - FREEDOM.

Don't worry - the catalog won't cause any harm to your files. It's just making a record of where they are.

The first thing I do when I create a new catalog is hit the top left menu: Lightroom - Catalog Setting, then go to the Metadata tab (third tab) in the resulting dialog box and hit Automatically write changes into xmp. This will ensure that if you make any edits, add keywords, labels or ratings etc that they will be immediately written into the xmp file (just as Bridge does if you use the xmp sidecar option). Nothing you do in Lightroom will change your raw files, only the sidecar xmp file which is a simple text file (there is an option to write over the EXIF data in the raws but that is better left alone).

The really key thing to be aware of is that the catalog is just a record and it uses a tiny amount of drive space - it doesn't contain the files, just a pointer to them. So there is no need to delete the catalog or remove the images from the catalog once you are finished processing the files. You can have a single catalog for all of your files or different catalogs say for different types of photography (that is what I do). You can even have the same file or files in different catalogs although that could be confusing.

The only thing that that takes up space is the accompanying preview file and even that is tiny in comparison to the size of the actual files unless you save and retain 1:1 previews (necessary if you are using LR to check focus etc). You can easily dispose of the 100% previews by going to the Library menu, hitting Previews and then Discard 1:1 previews. I presume that you keep all your raw files by the way. 

But try this. Open Lightroom and create a new catalog. Then hit the Import button on the bottom left, navigate to a folder of your existing (or a bunch of new) raw files and import them by hitting the import button on the bottom right. That's it - done - you now have a LR catalog and are on the other side of the wall - FREEDOM.

Don't worry - the catalog won't cause any harm to your files. It's just making a record of where they are.

But, bear in mind that, if you want to rename, move or delete any of your images, that it's best to do this from within Lightroom. If you use other tools, e.g. Finder or File Explorer to do this, the catalogue will loose track of the image and you'll need to update the catalogue to reconnect to it.

Also, if you create and save new versions of your images (with different extensions or filenames) from within Photoshop they may not automatically be added into the catalogue (they don't on my system - but maybe I'm missing a trick somewhere?)

Also, if you create and save new versions of your images (with different extensions or filenames) from within Photoshop they may not automatically be added into the catalogue (they don't on my system - but maybe I'm missing a trick somewhere?)

No, unless I'm missing a trick as well, LR doesn't keep an eye on folder changes as, say,  Picasa does. It's best to go into LR and send the image to PS- that does keep the reworked version in the catalogue, either alongside the original or stacked as you prefer.

No, unless I'm missing a trick as well, LR doesn't keep an eye on folder changes as, say,  Picasa does. It's best to go into LR and send the image to PS- that does keep the reworked version in the catalogue, either alongside the original or stacked as you prefer.

Yep that works.  My workflow if I am going to use PS for an image is to find it in LR then open it as a smart object in PS.  It then saves the edited PS version as a tiff in the same folder as the original and adds it to the LR catalogue.

If you open it in directly PS without starting from LR, and save the edited version from PS to the same folder as the original, you can right click on the folder in LR and Synchronise folders.  That will bring any images in that folder which are not already in the catalogue into the catalogue.

I'm available but it would require an all expenses paid trip to Oklahoma for starters :). Scott Kelby is probably cheaper.

The first thing I do when I create a new catalog is hit the top left menu: Lightroom - Catalog Setting, then go to the Metadata tab (third tab) in the resulting dialog box and hit Automatically write changes into xmp. This will ensure that if you make any edits, add keywords, labels or ratings etc that they will be immediately written into the xmp file (just as Bridge does if you use the xmp sidecar option). Nothing you do in Lightroom will change your raw files, only the sidecar xmp file which is a simple text file (there is an option to write over the EXIF data in the raws but that is better left alone).

The really key thing to be aware of is that the catalog is just a record and it uses a tiny amount of drive space - it doesn't contain the files, just a pointer to them. So there is no need to delete the catalog or remove the images from the catalog once you are finished processing the files. You can have a single catalog for all of your files or different catalogs say for different types of photography (that is what I do). You can even have the same file or files in different catalogs although that could be confusing.

The only thing that that takes up space is the accompanying preview file and even that is tiny in comparison to the size of the actual files unless you save and retain 1:1 previews (necessary if you are using LR to check focus etc). You can easily dispose of the 100% previews by going to the Library menu, hitting Previews and then Discard 1:1 previews. I presume that you keep all your raw files by the way.

Questions. I eventually move my folders on my desktop to my two mirrored desktop HDs. I don't store my images on my computer, except temporarily, until all the images in a particular folder have been developed and uploaded to Alamy. How does that affect cataloging?

I may have 10 folders on my desktop at any given time as I work.

So if LR cataloging points at my desktop folders, then later I move them, will LR recognize they've been moved and in future point to the HD when I turn them on? I only turn the HDs on when I'm saving to them.

As far as finding past folders in LR, I've never been able to do that. I import a batch to LR, work on them. But if I dare import a new batch, I can no longer find the first batch. Once that happens, I have to develop any remaining images from that first import in PS.

I have a hard enough time as it is. Usually, when I click on the import button, I see my desktop folders to choose from. Then out of the blue, next import the desktop access is gone and I spend 10 minutes clicking her and there until I find it.

LR is very frustrating to me, at least the interface is. PS and Bridge is so straightforward in comparison.

Betty, if you move stuff off the computer to another hard drive, you can click on the little spot that comes up in the catalog and ask LR to find the missing file and all those near it.  

Another option is to make a new catalog on each external hard drive and import into that, so it's easy to see what's on each hard drive, and you can keep the same files linked to the other main catalog. 

When I'm backing up and taking stuff off my computer, I'll go in and synchronize the folders fist to get any strays processed in PS I might have missed, then I'll export the entire folder as a catalog to the new hard drive.  I'll then open a larger catalog in there, do import from catalog, and now all my images backed up on that hard drive are nicely organized. 

Questions. I eventually move my folders on my desktop to my two mirrored desktop HDs. I don't store my images on my computer, except temporarily, until all the images in a particular folder have been developed and uploaded to Alamy. How does that affect cataloging?

So if LR cataloging points at my desktop folders, then later I move them, will LR recognize they've been moved and in future point to the HD when I turn them on? I only turn the HDs on when I'm saving to them.

As far as finding past folders in LR, I've never been able to do that. I import a batch to LR, work on them. But if I dare import a new batch, I can no longer find the first batch. Once that happens, I have to develop any remaining images from that first import in PS.

I have a hard enough time as it is. Usually, when I click on the import button, I see my desktop folders to choose from. Then out of the blue, next import the desktop access is gone and I spend 10 minutes clicking her and there until I find it.

LR is very frustrating to me, at least the interface is. PS and Bridge is so straightforward in comparison.

"Smart Previews" - if one is interested in having their entire catalogue (editable) on various HDDs that are sometimes connected, sometimes not. It will sync any LR edits or changes in metadata when that HDD is connected next time. 

Personally I use LR with a hierarchical (physical) folder structure, which through files move from import to archive. Also use star ratings and labelling to at a glance be able to tell status of a file. "Smart collections" are also nifty for example to automatically back-up to Photoshelter, as well as publishing to website. So LR from ingestion to archiving.

Some of what you are saying here doesn't make sense - the stuff about not finding past folders and importing new batches not being able to find the first batch. AH - unless you are just leaving Previous Import (under Catalog - left hand side in the Library Module) selected. You need to select All Photographs or expand the Folders and all will be revealed. I think from what you say that this is one of your most basic problems but it is really simple to resolve it.

In any case, here is my really simple workflow. I copy the images from my card directly to their destination folder on an external hard drive which is permanently attached to my Mac. I don't copy them to the internal drive first to work on them as there is no need to do this - USB3 and/or Thunderbolt are more than fast enough to process images (and I'm talking big 36MP raws).

From there I import them to LR and do all the sorting and basic raw conversion settings in the Develop Module. I usually open them in PS and do further editing if necessary before saving them as PSDs (better than TIFF for many reasons with few disadvantages). I keep the raws and the PSDs which all stay together in the same folder. I export as JPEG as required using the excellent preset Export features of LR.  If I do decide to move the images or the folder, it is a simple matter to relocate the images from within LR and there are several ways of doing this as people have mentioned. And that's it.

I find Bridge really unstable and not suitable for managing large archives. LR is way way faster for searching and finding collections of images by various criteria - Bridge is very inefficient in comparison. In fact, the main function of Bridge nowadays is for communicating efficiently between the various Creative Cloud programs.

Anyway I suggest you give LR a try and probably using Scott Kelby's books as a guide because it really is way better than Bridge. I think your fundamental problem with not being able to find older imports is because you are leaving Previous Imports selected - it is a very small step to select All Photographs or expand the Folders tab. If you want to work on files first on your internal drive then it is no problem to relocate them - best done by moving them from within LR but easily solved if you move them in the Mac finder.

Best of luck whatever.

Same here apart from still using the main drive. I'm quite please I discovered LR early on, though, thanks to the forum. Before that processing individually in PS was a bit piecemeal.

Once you accept the Way of Lightroom all becomes clear. Copy-import-develop-export. Simples (meerkat squeak). Sorry.

I usually open them in PS and do further editing if necessary before saving them as PSDs (better than TIFF for many reasons with few disadvantages).

What advantages do PSD files have over TIFF files?

From one who has never thought of using PSD files.

And what are the disadvantages of using TIFF files?

Excuse me being an ignoramus in this matter. :unsure:

Allan

I usually open them in PS and do further editing if necessary before saving them as PSDs (better than TIFF for many reasons with few disadvantages).

What advantages do PSD files have over TIFF files?

From one who has never thought of using PSD files.

And what are the disadvantages of using TIFF files?

Excuse me being an ignoramus in this matter. :unsure:

Allan

No worries Allan. Something to discuss at one of our Cambridge meetups perhaps. The big advantage of PSDs is that they are native Photoshop files. For layered files which I have always used and still use quite extensively, PSDs are much faster to work on in Photoshop than TIFFs. Before LR, non-destructive editing more or less required using layered files. I use adjustment layers (curves mainly, sometimes B&W, occasionally levels, colour balance, HSL). I also save selections as alpha channels. Although I tend to do more and more of my processing now in LR (even more with LR6.6 and its very significant speed enhancements), I still use Photoshop for certain tasks. I keep all my layered files in case I want to go back and edit them at some point. I think it is madness to delete layered images that could have taken a long time to work on (moreover given the low price of storage these days). So that is the main reason - PSDs are far more efficient than TIFFS.

In addition, PSDs are also smaller as TIFFs add on header information or something. And TIFFs are much more prone to corruption. I remember having a conversation here with David K and he explained why this is the case. I can't remember the reason but I have experienced a few corrupt TIFFs over the years and so far not a PSD so I'm sure it's true.

The only advantage of TIFFs over PSDs that I can think of is that they are much more universally readable whereas PSDs generally require Photoshop  but I don't currently consider that a problem. I intend to continue using Photoshop as long as I'm alive and if I change my mind I'll convert my entire PSD archive to TIFF.

Betty, as a happy user of Lightroom I must say my head is spinning a bit from hearing all the various ins and outs in this thread. I have a friend who found someone good (in Boulder) who comes to her house and works with her on learning Lightroom. I bet there is someone in Oklahoma City doing the same and the cost would be more than made up for in the time you will save later on. It took me a bit of time figuring out my own system of using stars, label colors and collections but it makes everything very quick and smooth. Smart Collections will automatically put images with certain criteria together. I won't go further in fear of confusing you once again.

Paulette

Archived