So far I've been successful in avoiding the upgrade to Windows 10. Every time the "upgrade now" box pops up, I close it immediately. Now, however, as we get closer to the free upload deadline, I'm getting notices that my computer is being configured for Windows 10, and others saying that the upgrade will begin in XX number of minutes. Is there anything I can do to stop what seems to be the inevitable? I'm a happy Windows 7 user with an older computer. Everything is working perfectly, and I'd like to keep things that way. Help!

I took the decision to upgrade and made careful backups and restore points. I was also careful to read all prompts and other pages carefully before moving on to the next step. I have done it on three machines (from 8.1 and 7) with no drama. It did take longer than the hour or so suggested. I did take care to disconnect external hard drives so their data could not be affected, although it did not seem to be an issue as my main PC has 5 internal disks.

I wanted to get it done while it was free (before end July and avoiding holidays) but with time to roll back. Just need to do it on last laptop running WIn 7, may be the most risky as it is the oldest/lowest spec of our 4 computers.

I am happy with the result and hopefully I should not need to worry about o/s upgrades for the foreseeable future.

This how to stop the windows 10 "bugs". Even though I have windows 10, i don't really like it.

1. Open the command prompt with administrative privileges.

2. Type WUSA/UNINSTALL/KB:3035583

3. Follow on screen prompts.

4. Windows 10 is gone!

(if the update downloads again, do it again.)

If you don't want to be so drastic, you can hide the notification, but it will only work until you restart your system.

Hope this helps,

Jacob Y.

What makes Microsoft believe they own your computer and have the right to not only dictate but decide once and for all what Windows version you MUST use? Then force it on you?

Seems to me you have had your rights taken away. Microsoft didn't buy your computer for you, did they? When I had PCs, I paid out of pocket.

I'm having a hard time with that. Thank heavens I have a Mac, because I'm not technical enough to fend that behavior off. Kudos to you all that can do that.

What makes Microsoft believe they own your computer and have the right to not only dictate but decide once and for all what Windows version you MUST use? Then force it on you?

Seems to me you have had your rights taken away. Microsoft didn't buy your computer for you, did they? When I had PCs, I paid out of pocket.

I'm having a hard time with that. Thank heavens I have a Mac, because I'm not technical enough to fend that behavior off. Kudos to you all that can do that.

I'd be happy to update to Windows 10 if I had a newer computer. I just don't want to risk turning a relatively fast machine designed for Windows 7 into a slow one with some favourite older software that may or may not work any longer. Been there, done that (a few times).

John, you must give into the Will of Windows. Look at it this way: No. 10 is a good number. It's bigger than 9 but not so large as say 12. I intend to get Windows 10, the free upgrade, even though I'm on a Mac. I'm not doing that damn OS X update though! 

So far I've been successful in avoiding the upgrade to Windows 10. Every time the "upgrade now" box pops up, I close it immediately. Now, however, as we get closer to the free upload deadline, I'm getting notices that my computer is being configured for Windows 10, and others saying that the upgrade will begin in XX number of minutes. Is there anything I can do to stop what seems to be the inevitable? I'm a happy Windows 7 user with an older computer. Everything is working perfectly, and I'd like to keep things that way. Help!

You could disable all Windows updates and ensure you have a good Virus checker installed. That's what I've done on two old PCs. For good measure I also put my email and browser (the only apps where I feel a virus might get in) into a Sandbox (Sandboxie).

If you just remove KB3035583 I fear MS will keep putting it back every time your PC checks for updates. MS appear to be VERY determined to ram Windows 10 onto every PC they can.

First remove KB3035583 as mentioned above. Then turn off all Windows updates by typing "Windows Update" in the Search box and open Windows update. Then click on "Change settings" and change Important updates setting to "Never Check for Updates" and click OK.

To stop the Microsoft nag messages warning that you have updates turned off, type "Action center" in the Search box and open Action center. Click on the Security drop down list and the click "Turn off message about windows update".

NB. This will stop Windows 7 from receiving further security patches. So if you take this route, make sure you use a good Virus checker/internet security suite which you keep up to date. Also best to avoid opening suspicious emails and clicking on dodgy links! If you're still worried (like me) install a sandbox too. :unsure:

I think you're wise not to update. I had significant problems with Windows 10 on my older PCs, and even on the PC it ran fine on, it kept imposing huge updates >1GB at inconvenient times that I couldn't stop. Very annoying if you happen to be on a lower bandwidth (and metered) internet connection at the time.

As a result of MS policy to force updates to Windows 10, I swapped my main computer to a Mac where at least I can exert some control. Now as I've become familiar with both Windows and OS-X, if I buy another computer it will be a Mac. I prefer it, although Windows 7 was a damn fine OS.

I took the decision to upgrade and made careful backups and restore points. I was also careful to read all prompts and other pages carefully before moving on to the next step. I have done it on three machines (from 8.1 and 7) with no drama. It did take longer than the hour or so suggested. I did take care to disconnect external hard drives so their data could not be affected, although it did not seem to be an issue as my main PC has 5 internal disks.

I wanted to get it done while it was free (before end July and avoiding holidays) but with time to roll back. Just need to do it on last laptop running WIn 7, may be the most risky as it is the oldest/lowest spec of our 4 computers.

I am happy with the result and hopefully I should not need to worry about o/s upgrades for the foreseeable future.

John doesn't want to know how best to perform the upgrade. He wants to know how to prevent it.

I have had updates switched off since just after XP SP2.

I would switch to Linux if only I could get my preferred software (mostly photo stuff) in a native Linux version. I can manage without MS Office etc. Linux is a light and efficient operating system, I would also probably use it as a development platfoirm for some processes I would like to automate.

I have tried the Linux alternatives but PhotoMechanic and Capture 1 Pro have no proper alternatives (that I have found). Gimp I could live with for the occasional stugff I currently do on PS (2-3 times a year!). I don't won't to run in windows emulation mode (Wine) as I have had enough problemsWindows software running natively.

Microsoft will update your system to Windows 10 whether you like it or not unless you are proactive preventing it from doing so or are using a corporate WSUS system to filter updates.

I’m not going to go in to the pro’s and con’s of updating or not doing so. But should you wish to prevent Windows 10 from installing you have a couple of options. Firstly there is GWX Control Panel from http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ , and Never10 from https://www.grc.com/never10.htm , both of these will work well.

Paul

There are some utilities available which will disable the Windows 10 update and remove the files it may have already downloaded in preparation...  see Steve Gibson's site at

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Works fine as far as I can tell.  I used it on a laptop which I'd tried to upgrade and had problems with - despite Windows saying it was compatible - I backed off and ran the utility.  It's never asked or prompted since.

On the other hand, I have a old desktop which I upgraded to Windows 10 and it's fine, with appropriate changes (Classic Shell) to remove all the rubbish new interface stuff.

ETA: I see PaulW beat me to it!  Oh well, let's say I second his motion...

Microsoft will update your system to Windows 10 whether you like it or not unless you are proactive preventing it from doing so or are using a corporate WSUS system to filter updates.

I’m not going to go in to the pro’s and con’s of updating or not doing so. But should you wish to prevent Windows 10 from installing you have a couple of options. Firstly there is GWX Control Panel from http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ , and Never10 from https://www.grc.com/never10.htm , both of these will work well.

Paul

Excellent links, thanks!

Like others, I was happy with Win7 and was initially wary of Win10.  

Having now been using Win10 on multiple PCs/Laptops of varying specs from the outset,  I've yet to have a problem.

It's been rock solid.  It works just like Win7 so I was at home with it immediately.  It's definitely slicker on my older, lower spec PCs. 

All of my family members have gone over to Win 10 and again - no problems.

Having now been using Win10 on multiple PCs/Laptops of varying specs from the outset,  I've yet to have a problem.

It's been rock solid.  It works just like Win7 so I was at home with it immediately.  It's definitely slicker on my older, lower spec PCs. 

All of my family members have gone over to Win 10 and again - no problems.

Reviews on Amazon now seem to be much more positive than they were too. But I note that only the Pro version appears to allow you to defer those pesky updates.

Another "Gates Child" forced to upgrade.....

I avoided upgrading to 10 for a long time and finally did it.  So far I like 10 better than 7 on my

main machine, but still running 7 on a laptop and XP on another laptop.

John, you must give into the Will of Windows. Look at it this way: No. 10 is a good number. It's bigger than 9 but not so large as say 12. I intend to get Windows 10, the free upgrade, even though I'm on a Mac. I'm not doing that damn OS X update though! 

I updated on my Mac with no problems.  I waited a couple of months until bugs were addressed, though.

Having had two attempts at upgrading? Once without my consent and the second after my tech guy suggested I should upgrade. I had to get the tech guy in to sort out problems with the first upgrade, so I am now leaving it alone, on both occasions it took in excess of 18 hours and failed to install correctly. Looking on the web it seems 18 hours is not uncommon for some people.

I am very happy with my Windows 7.

As spacecadet says switch off updates and you should be untroubled

Having had two attempts at upgrading? Once without my consent and the second after my tech guy suggested I should upgrade. I had to get the tech guy in to sort out problems with the first upgrade, so I am now leaving it alone, on both occasions it took in excess of 18 hours and failed to install correctly. Looking on the web it seems 18 hours is not uncommon for some people.

I am very happy with my Windows 7.

As spacecadet says switch off updates and you should be untroubled

Getting bogged down during the download/install process is another concern that I have since I don't have a very speedy internet connection. I've had problems downloading very large files in the past.

Anyway, I seem to have warded off the Windows 10 gremlins for the time being using the "uninstall" command that someone mentioned above. Haven't had any "nagware" notices yet today (touch wood).

Just type windows update into the start menu box, select the program, click 'change settings', select 'never' and untick the boxes. It's separate from the Windows firewall, which stays on.

I did it as soon as I got the computer second-hand 18 months ago (win7) and the sky has not fallen in. Yet.

Just type windows update into the start menu box, select the program, click 'change settings', select 'never' and untick the boxes. It's separate from the Windows firewall, which stays on.

I did it as soon as I got the computer second-hand 18 months ago (win7) and the sky has not fallen in. Yet.

Doesn't this stop you getting possibly important Windows 7 security updates as well?

Doesn't this stop you getting possibly important Windows 7 security updates as well?

Yes it will. The links mentioned in Post #13 of this thread will avoid this problem.

On the other hand, I've lost count of how often an MS "security update" caused serious problems which took hours to to resolve.  :angry:

I updated on my Mac with no problems.  I waited a couple of months until bugs were addressed, though.

I just updated to El Capitan 10.11.5 from 10.11.4 without problems.

Archived