I don't know about about lightroom, but photoshop(trial) works well enough. However, if you buy it for me I would be glad to test it for you. ;)

Glad the advice helped.

Windows 10 seems to have settled down on my (newish by my standards) machine at last. Everything appears to be working as it should - with the exception of an old text based MS-DOS program, written in Borland's Turbo Pascal; which is sad but not crucial.

All my photography related stuff seems OK, the printer/scanner drivers work and Google Chrome is now also working fine.

Actually one remaining gripe, looking at photos in the order sorted by Explorer, but FastStone gets around the problem.

Can't say that I have noticed any speed improvements with LR or PS, but I've taken no measurements. They were fine before the change and remain so.

Ah, thanks much for the Never10 reference. I've applied it to my desktop (which has a 128Gb SSD for a C drive, with little empty space), and our laptop (on which I've already fought off a "scheduled upgrade" to Win10). Happy with Win7 on both, don't need any upgrade hassle. I also had Never10 delete 5.5 and 6.9 Gb of Win10 files, respectively.

Ever since seeing the Win10 box announcing in how many minutes my upgrade would start on our laptop, I've been afraid to leave any PC unattended for more than a few minutes.

Edit: Wow, I see that most of the 5.5Gb of Win10 deleted from my desktop was on my stressed C drive. 

I upgraded a few weeks ago.  No problems with the initial install and everything seemed to be working fine.  A couple of weeks later it all went wrong and I was getting erratic display problems with my external Dell monitor on my 5 year old Acer laptop.  It didn't seem to know which monitor was which, jumped from one to the other and caused chaos.  A week later it all worked fine - I assume after an update.  I'm now waiting for the next problems.

Microsoft, you should not force your customers to be Beta testers.  Get it right and then release it.  :(

My wife had a unstartable laptop this AM.

She said she saw it try to download (or instal win 10) so shut it down... now it's a brick!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 over the weekend on two machines, one slow and one pretty fast.  I don't notice a difference and the layout is pretty much the same.  I was putting it off because I thought everything was going to be re-arranged and a total pain to get used to but everything was fine.  But be prepared to put aside 1-2 hours for the complete upgrade process.

I have upgraded my desktop and 14 notebooks in my company and even two old desktops there.

Windows 10 is a good upgrade. Microsoft gave it for free because win 8 was a big failure so, yes, I think you should upgrade.

Old versions of windows run very well than you start adding new fixes and it start to get slower until you beg for an upgrade.

This happened to me in all later versions of windows.

It is running very well with photoshop, it recignized my Bamboo, my display and my colormeter.

So, my answer to you is dont fight with it, but embrace it.

I have upgraded my desktop and 14 notebooks in my company and even two old desktops there.

Windows 10 is a good upgrade. Microsoft gave it for free because win 8 was a big failure so, yes, I think you should upgrade.

Old versions of windows run very well than you start adding new fixes and it start to get slower until you beg for an upgrade.

It is running very well with photoshop, it recignized my Bamboo, my display and my colormeter.

How old are the desktops? How much RAM do they have?

This might be of interest to people on here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640464

Interesting. I reckon the forced update to Windows 10 cost me at least £1,000 in wasted time dealing with PCs that kept hanging and then finally reverting them back to Windows 7 and also swapping my main system to a Mac.

There must be loads of others in a similar situation. I wonder if a class action will follow?

4Gb of RAM on the oldest one, a Pentium, but its used for office work, no photo editing there, but the important thing was that its performance improved when we upgraded. (even though I wouldnt suggest at all this for photo editing).

Photoshop runs pretty well in another desktop we have at the office which is an i3 with 8Gb of RAM with a video PCI board.

Of course on my main desktop, an i7 with 16Gb or RAM its even better.

All and all, what I find out was that the performance improved in all versions of computers.

I dont know how much RAM you have neither which version of photoshop you are running.

My old desktop had 4Gb and I couldnt find the memories for its PCB anymore (it was a Quadcore), so I upgraded to my new i7 with 16Gb.

But the old QuadCore was also running better with Windows 10 than Windows 7, just that 4Gb of RAM is not enough for developping HDR photos in Photoshop.

The only complain I have with win 10 is that the restart computer function doesnt work well, when it restarts some drivers dont come up, like the ethernet, so you have to turn the computer off completely, not restart, than it always works.

When it automatically upgrade for some reason it restarts automatically, so you have to realize he did that, turn it off and on again, than it works.

I hope this helps.

My hubby's old Acer desktop has never been offered the update, so it's obviously one of those computers that doesn't have the right stuff for Windows 10.  For him that's great as he is a computer luddite and it has taken me years to get him to not have to call me every 10 minutes on how to do something.  If he had to change from 7 to 10, I would be back trying to contain my frustration again.  Windows 10 for him would not be good for my marriage  :)

I love it had haven't really found a huge difference from Windows 8.1.  But then I was one of the few who actually liked 8.1.

Jill

4Gb of RAM on the oldest one, a Pentium, but its used for office work, no photo editing there, but the important thing was that its performance improved when we upgraded. (even though I wouldnt suggest at all this for photo editing).

Photoshop runs pretty well in another desktop we have at the office which is an i3 with 8Gb of RAM with a video PCI board.

All and all, what I find out was that the performance improved in all versions of computers.

I dont know how much RAM you have neither which version of photoshop you are running.

My old desktop had 4Gb and I couldnt find the memories for its PCB anymore (it was a Quadcore), so I upgraded to my new i7 with 16Gb.

But the old QuadCore was also running better with Windows 10 than Windows 7, just that 4Gb of RAM is not enough for developping HDR photos in Photoshop.

The only complain I have with win 10 is that the restart computer function doesnt work well, when it restarts some drivers dont come up, like the ethernet, so you have to turn the computer off completely, not restart, than it always works.

When it automatically upgrade for some reason it restarts automatically, so you have to realize he did that, turn it off and on again, than it works.

I hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the detailed response. It still sounds to me like sticking with Windows 7 is the best option for me at the moment. My current computer is on the borderline when it comes to specs.

I hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the detailed response. It still sounds to me like sticking with Windows 7 is the best option for me at the moment. My current computer is on the borderline when it comes to specs.

I see John, if its working ok in the current environment, than maybe you are right and dont take any risks.

When you can, upgrade the computer first.

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago, largely because I figured I would need to do it eventually anyway so I might as well get it for free. However it certainly wasn't free from pain. There were quite a few teething problems that required extensive Googling and delving deep into various settings and configurations to fix. I've removed a lot of the bloat by killing all the apps that come with it that I don't need - some of which appeared to be constantly accessing the internet and wasting my precious bandwidth. It takes much longer now to start up than with W7 (there is a fast start setting but that appears not to initialise important things like sound and video so it's a pretty useless setting for a computer dedicated to creative tasks). I haven't noticed much difference in speed otherwise - if anything it seems slightly slower than W7.

My biggest problem was one morning when I was met with a completely blank screen after login. Luckily I have another computer I can use for Googling otherwise I would have had a completely useless computer and no clue as to what was wrong. Apparently it's a fairly common problem. Most things have now settled down and it works (though I can't see any real benefits over W7), apart from my Focusrite sound interface which is now poor quality and distorted so it's not much use for music which is one of the main things I use the machine for. This may possibly be down to the driver (which has a history of difficulty with AMD processors) so I need to find some time to look into it. It worked perfectly with W7 though.

Alan

Archived