Alamy Blog - bumper edition of picture needs

Alamy

• Scary/zombie Snowmen

This year in Poland we can only create a snowmen from a puddle ;) No snow this year, no option to complete snowy ideas for 2015 Dec. sessions... Actually today it was 15°C warm but windy weather so maybe sprouting plants would be better idea to shoot ;)

Travel images - no need for Poland. Lucky those who live in popular and touristic countries :)

Since I don't plan to be doing any plane hopping in the near future, the picture needs are pretty limited. And forget the Christmas concerts. Wouldn't touch those with a barge pole.

Maybe I can do the gum on shoe thing.

Jill

I'm not going to be able to fill any of these needs but I appreciate seeing what specific things are looked for in travel images. I know I need to take more photos of non-animal creatures.

Paulette

• Scary/zombie Snowmen

This year in Poland we can only create a snowmen from a puddle ;) No snow this year, no option to complete snowy ideas for 2015 Dec. sessions... Actually today it was 15°C warm but windy weather so maybe sprouting plants would be better idea to shoot ;)

Travel images - no need for Poland. Lucky those who live in popular and touristic countries :)

Same here Arletta. It's 8C now and going to be 14C tomorrow. No white Christmas here. 

Jill

One of the Tokyo ones look a little... challenging. Not sure what happens to foreigners who try to take photographs in a public bath house (segregated by gender but still) and those model releases... hmmm... I can almost see the headlines now!  Maybe an opportunity to be on my own news feed?  Would almost guarantee a sale.

Great list! I especially love the restaurant BCD Tofu House. My sister and I used to get together at the Manhattan branch all the time.

Can we read between the lines and see this listing as a need for more Korean food and restaurant images in general?

Inchiquin, I have some-few sales from Poland, Warsaw mostly, but I don't find it in Alamy's request ever. From what I observe in comparison to UK images sales (London at least) - there is no comparison! ;) 

In short words, Poland is excellent place to take photos, it's still wild, beautiful and not oversaturated with images. But there are not many clients interested in buying images from here. It's not worth for them. It's not worht to spend huge money on travelling here I guess.

I come from Masuria Lake District and now live in Warsaw. I do images here and there, both places. I also do some travelling in PL. When I was a little child, my home town (Ruciane-Nida) used to be a very crowded, touristic popular place, you know, lakes, forests, relax, holidays, yachts, boats, sun, summer, etc. (read about historical PRL period - Polish had no money to go anywhere else than in PL, it was very cheap and nice here). I remember days when there were so many visitors that they were walking on the street and cars had problems to drive through the crowd :)

Now it's a dead, empty place, abandoned, collapsed tourist buildings (resorts?), almost no people and zero tourism or marketing, not much sense to offer attractions here and pay for marketing for nobody. This place is dying. I'm really surprised becuase it's included as one of nature wonders of Europe (world even?). There is a huge potential and if it ever blooms, the whole travel business, images will sell a lot.

The same situation is with other beautiful places in Poland: Biebrza, Białowieża... Oh, I was keywording Białowieża lately... almost NO info in internet. And it's so great place! We also have mountains and sea... There is only one problem with Poland - it's far to expensive. Ask anyone here is it better to go abroad and spend excellent holidays in Malta, Croatia or anywhere else... 

Mirco is taking lots of city photos in PL, he's new here in this country so maybe he could say a little bit more about sales, objectively. Mirco?

Inchiquin, I have some-few sales from Poland, Warsaw mostly, but I don't find it in Alamy's request ever. From what I observe in comparison to UK images sales (London at least) - there is no comparison! ;)

[.....]

Ask anyone here is it better to go abroad and spend excellent holidays in Malta, Croatia or anywhere else... 

I went to Malta 10 years ago. I don't think I've ever sold a photo of it :(

Three years ago I spent four days in Moscow and that resulted in more sales than I've ever had from any other location. I thought perhaps the same might be true of other cities in Eastern Europe.

My ex-wife is half Polish and was born in Cold-War Poland. She has the impression it is vastly improved since then! Perhaps all it needs is a few photographers to start spreading the word.

Alan

Yes, sometimes I think the same - maybe I/we should warm up the tourist-travel carousel machine here by taking amazing images, to start spreading the word from abandoned but beautiful places with potential...? 

Let me know when you'll visit here :)

And yes, Russia (with Moscow mostly) is pretty good seller as I can see. And... you really surprised me about Malta! Actually this year I started collecting info about this place, encouraged by photos found in "images found" thread... 

I remember we already had the thread on Alamy forum about popular places worth beeing photographed over and over, again and again and also places not worth the effort. If I only could find it...

Maybe Malta is over photographed? I have family there and spend quite a bit of time there and none of my Malta photographs have generated any interest on Alamy, although I have sold a number of prints privately.  Mind you, since I still don't have a colour camera perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised... blue skies and blue water just don't sell as well in grey - you could just stay in England for grey!

[Edit] Just realised - not very many Malta shots from me here. Think I'll add some.

No picture needs at all for Australia? I can't believe Oz is that well represented on Alamy. Is there a total lack of interest? Even after the opening of the Australian office?

Gen

No picture needs at all for Australia? I can't believe Oz is that well represented on Alamy. Is there a total lack of interest? Even after the opening of the Australian office?

Gen

Yes, only this

Melbourne

Koorie Heritage Trust

I still don't have a colour camera

Not sure what that means... :unsure:

Ummm... really what it says. I have a digital camera that only takes monochrome photographs - it cannot take any colour photographs (it doesn't have the internal filter that splits the light out into RGB so that the sensor can record colour).  It felt like a moment of madness when I bought it but it really works for me.

Ummm... really what it says. I have a digital camera that only takes monochrome photographs - it cannot take any colour photographs (it doesn't have the internal filter that splits the light out into RGB so that the sensor can record colour).  It felt like a moment of madness when I bought it but it really works for me.

You live and learn. You say that monochrome "works for you"... but will it "work" for potential clients in the stock photo business in 2016??

You live and learn. You say that monochrome "works for you"... but will it "work" for potential clients in the stock photo business in 2016??

Here's a black and white digital camera...

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/LEICA-M-MONOCHROM2

.....but will it "work" for potential clients in the stock photo business in 2016??      ... Yes. Regularly have stock sales from monochrome images. Not here, but elsewhere (not editorial).

Here's a black and white digital camera...

https://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/LEICA-M-MONOCHROM2

.....but will it "work" for potential clients in the stock photo business in 2016??      ... Yes. Regularly have stock sales from monochrome images. Not here, but elsewhere (not editorial).

Yup, I think that it's the only monochrome digital camera (that one has only just come out and mine is the previous model) - NOT something I would recommend to anyone.  In my opinion, if it's for you then you know it and don't need to be told - the only automatic feature available is exposure, manual focus, no zoom possible, a bit slow to write to SD card, with my 50mm lens you have to lean in about 5mm when wide open and below about 1.5m to get sharp focus, with my crazily cheap 135mm lens focus is an impossibility a challenge at best (http://www.maudric.com/blog/a-50-year-old-lens-leica-135mm/)... need I say more?.  

On the commercial front, I have a tiny portfolio, as you can see, with a similarly tiny number of sales. Alamy is a bit of an aside, not the way I make my living (might struggle to acquire a suitable cardboard box on my earnings).  I was hoping to build up a portfolio over time and see what happens... Some print sales elsewhere are the main source of my very modest photography income, along with a few portraits and similar.

Archived