Newbie Question on file size

How on earth do you get a 17mb jpg?

I shoot with a Nikon D810 and export the jpgs from Lightroom, even an uncropped file is less than 17mb.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Monte

And just to add a 17 MB uncompressed file is a 6 megapixel compressed JPEG file.

To keep it simple for the beginner ..... just make sure that your photo is at least 6 megapixel and for the moment ignore the rest. Everything will be fine then.

Yes, this issue had me scratching my head for a while.

I use this tool to check my file sizes.. since downloading this tool, file sizes haven't been an issue for me:

http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html  

(The tool is also mentioned here: http://www.alamy.com/contributors/resources/stock-photography-keywording-software.asp)

I think the Tool is out of date Matt. The size limit used to be around 24Mb but it was lowered a few months ago to around 17Mb

There's numerous threads on this topic. The simplest check is to multiply width in pixels by the height in pixels. If the result is greater than 6 million it's big enough. (As Mirco said.)

Keith

I think the Tool is out of date Matt. The size limit used to be around 24Mb but it was lowered a few months ago to around 17Mb

There's numerous threads on this topic. The simplest check is to multiply width in pixels by the height in pixels. If the result is greater than 6 million it's big enough. (As Mirco said.)

Keith

i think it still has it's uses. Rather than looking just for the red colour, look at the 'Size MB' value and check that it's above 17 MB ... still easier than doing the maths in my opinion (yes.. I'm lazy! :-) ).

I'm not sure you need a tool, just a camera of 6MP or over (who hasn't nowadays?) and to read the guidelines which are quite clear.

Until recently, I was using a Nikon D50 which is a 6.1MP camera. Now if i had ever wanted to crop a photo taken with this camera for any reason.....

OK Thanks everyone.   Makes sense now.    This should be clarified more that it refers to Tiff files as it appears to be directed at jpgs and many people make the same mistake as I did.

Cheers,

Monte

Keith

I believe that the latest version of AlamySizeCheck has been updated to reflect the new minimum file size of 17 MB (uncompressed). I always run my submissions through this program as a final check just before uploading. I have on occasion discovered a last-minute sizing error. I also like to think that it brings good luck.  

How on earth do you get a 17mb jpg?

I shoot with a Nikon D810 and export the jpgs from Lightroom, even an uncropped file is less than 17mb.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Monte

If you're shooting with a D810 and producing 36 megapixel files you'd have to crop severely to come up with anything less than 17mb. My D610 (24 megapixel) files run about 70 mb when saved as 8 bit tif files. When compressed to jpg they run about 13 mb - give or take a few mb. Just save the files at jpg 12 (or 100% in Lightroom) and don't worry about it. If anything you may find your files are too big and need to be reduced.

fD

Its like is said before. There is no file size checker or mathematics needed. Just minimum 6 megapixels and done.

Mirco

Yes, simple now it is understood that the 17MB does not refer to a JPG file.  This is not immediately obvious to new users, in fact just the opposite, probably why there are so many queries regarding this.  If this were clarified better it would end all of us new users asking the same question.

Cheers,

Monte

It is perfectly clear. The clue is in the prefix un. JPGs are compressed.

Quote:

Our standard advice for preparing digital camera files for Alamy is as follows:

• Use a pro-level camera with a “true” (non-interpolated) resolution of at least 6 megapixels. This will give an uncompressed file size of at least 17MB at 8 bit.

Clear as day.

The reason there are 'so many queries' is that the queriers appear not to have read and understood the requirements.

It is perfectly clear. The clue is in the prefix un. JPGs are compressed.

Quote:

Our standard advice for preparing digital camera files for Alamy is as follows:

• Use a pro-level camera with a “true” (non-interpolated) resolution of at least 6 megapixels. This will give an uncompressed file size of at least 17MB at 8 bit.

Clear as day.

The reason there are 'so many queries' is that the queriers appear not to have read and understood the requirements.

Maybe to you spacecadet and other regular Alamy users but not for many new users...hence the queries.   Can you understand that?

This is a professional agency. A certain basic level of craft skill is assumed and required.

The same question is answered again and again as a search of the forum would reveal.

Sorry, we're not trying to be unhelpful but one has  to help oneself.

This is a professional agency. A certain basic level of craft skill is assumed and required.

The same question is answered again and again as a search of the forum would reveal.

sigh....

If you stay on that high horse too long, you'll get altitude sickness...

Wow...

Remind yourself not to bother 'helping' people who ask questions here if this is what you have to offer.  One in every crowd it seems.

Sorry, we're not trying to be unhelpful but one has to help oneself.

Wow...

Remind yourself not to bother 'helping' people who ask questions here if this is what you have to offer. One in every crowd it seems.

OTOH the only requirement to join this professional agency is the ability to produce four technically proficient images.

Achieving success, however, requires a lot more.

Wow...

One in every crowd it seems.

I'm not so sure. spacecadet is probably unique. See the following for a flavour of his uniqueness http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/4296-could-be-tough-photographing-the-royals/

Wow...

I'm not so sure. spacecadet is probably unique. See the following for a flavour of his uniqueness http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/4296-could-be-tough-photographing-the-royals/

Dutch ancestry maybe?

;-)

wim

Wow...

Dutch ancestry maybe?

;-)

wim

Yes probably a direct descendant of the notorious Ruud van SpaceCadet.

Archived