Don't get excited, I haven't abandoned my Mac. :)

Hubby got a new computer, and he's coming from XP. That is also the last Windows I had before switching to Mac.

We took his old computer in which had zillions of photo folders on the desktop, and the tech guy put them all in one folder on the new computer running 8.1.

I'm the one who had to activate Windows, and got that done. Which I think is a crock! Especially since hubby is no longer connected to the Internet.

I digress. I'm lost on this operating system, and for the life of me, I can't find hubby's picture folder. Don't even have a clue where to look. What to click on, how to set it up. I did find the Windows folder that says "pictures" but clicking on that says the folder is empty. So I don't know where else to look. I have to figure everything out, then tell/ show hubby.

I would appreciate someone telling me how to navigate to find that folder. The tech guy said he transferred about 35,000 JPEGs. No, that's not a typo.

If we can ever find that bloated folder, I'm pushing for some serious culling.

Help appreciated.

Betty

Hi Betty

I do not know if this is what you are looking for but it may help http://tinyurl.com/oke9tan

Regards

Mal

Mal, I think the link you provided will get me there! Wow.

Thanks for all the suggestions from the rest of you. Have a load of food to put away, then I'll get to it.

I would take the free upgrade offer to windows 10, its much more like 7 and you will find it much easier to find things. In 8.1 , go to the right hand side of the screen with your mouse. A pop-up menue should appear from the side. Use the top icon to type the search term'  my computer.  This will give you a more "normal" windows 7 type display, where you can search different folders,  for instance my pictures etc.

I would take the free upgrade offer to windows 10, its much more like 7 and you will find it much easier to find things. In 8.1 , go to the right hand side of the screen with your mouse. A pop-up menue should appear from the side. Use the top icon to type the search term'  my computer.  This will give you a more "normal" windows 7 type display, where you can search different folders,  for instance my pictures etc.

Do you know if older programs -- e.g. image processing software -- that run fine on Widows 7 will work on Windows 10 ?

I upgraded to Windows 10 on Thursday on my laptop and had a chance to test it out with Photoshop PS5 and Lightroom 5.7 and everything seemed to work perfectly.  I have not gotten the notification to upgrade for my desktop computer yet.  An article I read this morning said that your upgrade may be delayed until drivers are created for the hardware on your computer so that your upgrade will be trouble free.  That would be nice of Microsoft to do that as scrambling to make something work after the fact would make me pull my hair out (if I had any).  :lol:  One good sign is I am not seeing horror stories about the upgrade on the web.

Thank you, John. That is nice to know. I've been in there wrestling with it for hours, today. I haven't been a Windows user for years, so it is coming hard.

I did find the folder with the pictures and figured out how to transfer them to hmmm, To Pictures I think. Then I docked the folder so hubby can find it without going through what I went through.

I loved XP. Then I went to Mac, and life became better x 5. Windows 8.1 is not intuitive like the Mac, and is about a factor of 20 more difficult than XP was. What the heck were they thinking?

I hesitate to upgrade my husband's computer to 10, because it's one more thing I'll have to figure out. Saying it's more like 7 doesn't mean anything to me because I never saw 7.

I've been days wrestling with the buying of his computer, hooking it up, realizing the cord to his old monitor didn't fit the new computer. Running to Best a Buy and praying there would be a cord that fit. There was, Lordy, Lordy.

Then trying to find his photo transfer folder.

I'm wrung out.

Betty,  Windows 10  is more like XP, with a bit of 8.1 thrown in.  I  have "upgraded" my main desktop to 10 and found that all my old programs (Photoshop elements 7 and Lightroom 3,   etc.  run with no problems. It does give you a time limited  choice to return you PC to the original operating system if you don't like the upgrade. You get about  a month before you are permanently locked in to the new program. Windows 10 runs fine on my laptop too!  I did not like 8.1 at all, and 8 was even worse, so I jumped at the chance to upgrade. Windows 7 is far more intuitive, so it was a harder decision as to weather to upgrade or not.  

Do you know if older programs -- e.g. image processing software -- that run fine on Widows 7 will work on Windows 10 ?

Not sure at this stage about much software, but whether you install it now or not looks like it depends on how hassle-free you want the weeks immediately following the installation of 10 to be :-)

For many users there have been reports of:

Activation issues, connectivity issues and some other annoying glitches

Some potentially serious privacy issues

Some serious problems with the Automatic Update feature

and some problems with some audio drivers.

Otherwise, looks good . . .

dd

Not sure at this stage about much software, but whether you install it now or not looks like it depends on how hassle-free you want the weeks immediately following the installation of 10 to be :-)

dd

Good grief! I'm not technically savvy nor familiar with Windows anymore to figure out how to navigate to the right places to solve those problems!

Although most here on the forum seem to have migrated fine.

dd

Good grief! I'm not technically savvy nor familiar with Windows anymore to figure out how to navigate to the right places to solve those problems!

I think the only near "universal" problems are some driver conflicts and the potential privacy issues. I tend to follow the same strategy of most large businesses when it comes to new-release Windows--never be an early upgrader :-)

dd

dd

I think the only near "universal" problems are some driver conflicts and the potential privacy issues. I tend to follow the same strategy of most large businesses when it comes to new-release Windows--never be an early upgrader :-)

dd

Thanks very much for the replies. I'm definitely not an early upgrader. My XP machine was covered in cobwebs by the time I relinquished it. In fact, it's still sitting under my desk, just in case...

OK.  I'll wait.  Seems like the prudent thing to do. Especially for this Luddite.  Definition: A Luddite is someone who is incompetent when using new technology.  :ph34r: 

We're all Luddites these days, Betty. It's now impossible to keep up with the pace of change. I've learned to be content living on the receding edge of technology (it's less expensive too).

OK.  I'll wait.  Seems like the prudent thing to do. Especially for this Luddite.  Definition: A Luddite is someone who is incompetent when using new technology.  :ph34r: 

Betty, in some (good) ways you are closer to the original, authentic Luddites than you realise :)   They were not, as many today seem to think, anti-technology, nor were they incompetent in the use of new technology. Their story is much more interesting than that, and resonates  loudly today, especially regards the sometimes baffling consumer-unfriendly aspects common in the development of some software (technology) for example.

dd

Betty, in some (good) ways you are closer to the original, authentic Luddites than you realise :)   They were not, as many today seem to think, anti-technology, nor were they incompetent in the use of new technology. Their story is much more interesting than that, and resonates  loudly today, especially regards the sometimes baffling consumer-unfriendly aspects common in the development of some software (technology) for example.

dd

I have read abut the original Luddites. Quite interesting. Sometimes I feel like destroying something, too, lol. Or bite the head off a snake. (Yuk, did I say that?)

Archived