My email from Alamy said I had 48 eligible sales in 2014.

This was a surprise to me, as I only have 39 recorded sales in total for 2014, and several of these are UK Newspaper sales.

I contacted MS and they confirmed that I have 48 eligible sales.

Anyone know how this is worked out? I don't think even if they counted files 'bought, refunded, then resold at a lower price' as two sales that I'd have 48 if the UKN sales were taken out, but that's the only possibility that I could think of. In fact, there are too many files recorded as sold to entities outwith the UK that even if the UKN files were counted in, and the refunded/resold files counted as two, I still wouoldn't have 48 UK sales in total.

The MS email did not give any explanation, just a bland confirmation that I "do have 48 eligible licences".

What about 2013, 2012 etc etc........accumulative........48 eligible sales for 2014 is not the same as 48 sales in 2014.

just to be clear; the three ISBN (books) and ISSN (magazine) numbers can be from any time. The numbers and titles of the publications I use are all from years ago. I could update the numbers and titles easily, but why bother? One of the magazines is so obscure, it gives me a slightly perverse pleasure to use it.

If you are in this business as a serious player, it shouldn't be all that much of an endeavour to come up with those few numbers. 

Doing it yourself or letting Alamy do it on your behalf is your call; going to depend on lots of considerations, mostly volume and location I should think. If Alamy did it for you last year, then they already have the needed numbers on file and they can do in moments this year.

The DACs cut decreases 1% per year but the pie is getting sliced finer and finer every year so the payout is on the slide. But still well worth doing if you are heavily into this business for a good few years.

Next year (or perhaps a few years on) the pie may decrease if certain groups of publishers manage to crawl out of the deals as they are trying. Negotiations on-going!

Only caveat to above is that, for personal claims, if you go up a band this year, you may well be asked to provided a new ISBNs/ISSNs from last year to prove the 'rise'. Happened to me last year with my direct claim.

Alamy won't provide the information. Either you find examples yourself or you let Alamy do it and pay the 50%.

Personally I have enough ISBN and ISSN numbers myself. I submitted as soon as I got the email yesterday.

They haven't so far (hey Alamy - charity begins at home :) )

Charity begins with Alamy.

Allan

Thanks for the reminder - I just did mine. Took about 5 minutes. If you've done it once, the next year you just open up last years application and change it if necessary. I'm sure anyone can find a grand total of THREE ISBNs to put on the form - you don't need to find every use to claim.

Only caveat to above is that, for personal claims, if you go up a band this year, you may well be asked to provided a new ISBNs/ISSNs from last year to prove the 'rise'. Happened to me last year with my direct claim.

Me too. I gave them a couple of ISBNs I had traced and sent an amended copy of my sales figures from Alamy, showing all the UK sales. DACS were happy with that.

Are Alamy obliged/able to provide any more information in respect of a sale other than what shows up in the summary of items sold. I only have one image eligible for DACS and i know which one it is from the info in the summary but Google Image search doesn't throw up any results. I appreciate that they won't supply me with an ISBN or ISSN but additional details about the sale could help me trace the use and therefore these numbers. 

I've noticed that Bryan has posted that DACS don't necessarily require these numbers but i'd like to provide them if i can. I'd also be interested to know where my image has been used.

Thanks

Paul

They're able but not obliged and they don't. They will do it for you for 50%.

They're your agent and they don't tell you who their customers are. That's part of the deal.

You can find quite a few of ISBN and ISSN number by the usual means.

Did any Alamy contributors based in United States receive DACs letter this week?

I think I qualify again, but haven't received email.

- Ann

Did any Alamy contributors based in United States receive DACs letter this week?

- Ann

I think you mean from Alamy. I did my own last year and have had email from DACS but not from Alamy.

Paulette

No e-mail in Canada - yet.  I should have over 100 that qualify, but only two dozen I can identify.

If you can only identify that small a percentage it's probably worth letting Alamy do it. The discrepancy in my case was only a few.

No e-mail in Canada - yet.  I should have over 100 that qualify, but only two dozen I can identify.

If you can only identify that small a percentage it's probably worth letting Alamy do it. The discrepancy in my case was only a few.

Yeah, I'll probably see what Alamy can do compared to last year.  It all depends on how much they add on for "expenses".  I wonder how pitiful my take at Alamy would be if they tacked on their expenses for regular sales too - 10%?

- Ann

I think you mean from Alamy. I did my own last year and have had email from DACS but not from Alamy.

Paulette

Yes, Paulette, that's what I meant, though didn't write - thank you!

Here's hoping Alamy has yet to send out emails about DACs to USA contributors, and that I'll get one when they do - Ann

I haven't had an Alamy email this year either (I'm in Australia). I think I'll let Alamy do it again - in spite of wanting to do it myself, as it's getting just too damn hard. Our tax office have told me it'll take 6 weeks or so to get my Residency Certificate (to reduce withholding tax). If you're not in UK, there's all this extra stuff. Now happy to give Alamy their cut.

Archived