I have tried to do it myself this year (Alamy did it for me last year). Getting the ISBN numbers for 3 books was OK using Google Books,  but I couldn't do it for magazines which they said they also wanted 3 - I have e-mailed DACS a copy of the Alamy .csv file from which I have removed all the inappropriate sales (foreign, newspaper and editorial websites etc) - is that likely to be enough for them?

Kumar

Kumar, I haven`t submitted claim for 2014, yet. The last couple of claims i did myself (2013, 2012), emailing, as you have, .csv file with relevant information.

Accepted and payment received on both occasions.

Joe

I have tried to do it myself this year (Alamy did it for me last year). Getting the ISBN numbers for 3 books was OK using Google Books,  but I couldn't do it for magazines which they said they also wanted 3 - I have e-mailed DACS a copy of the Alamy .csv file from which I have removed all the inappropriate sales (foreign, newspaper and editorial websites etc) - is that likely to be enough for them?

Kumar

I fill in the form with 'Alamy submission 201x' where I don't have ISBNs and send an archive file of the summary of images sold, the one with the thumbnails on it, and a csv of net revenue with all licence details. I let them sort out which are relevant and they don't seem to mind.

No e-mail in Canada - yet.  I should have over 100 that qualify, but only two dozen I can identify.

If you can only identify that small a percentage it's probably worth letting Alamy do it. The discrepancy in my case was only a few.

Yeah, I'll probably see what Alamy can do compared to last year.  It all depends on how much they add on for "expenses".  I wonder how pitiful my take at Alamy would be if they tacked on their expenses for regular sales too - 10%?

In the end I filed for myself again.  I could find 90 UK usages.  I'm appreciating the iQ info in RF images.  I know Alamy would have found more, but I think I'm further ahead doing it myself.  I never did get an e-mail from Alamy saying how many usages they found, or an offer to do the work for me.

I filed for the first time last year - and should have done it the year before. I used my CSV file from Alamy - I also went thorough most of the process to avoid the VAT then realized it would cost me $85 and since I didn't know what I was getting from DACS, and assumed it wasn't going to be over $500, which is roughly where I'd break even after bank fees, I decided to let them take out the VAT and DACs wired the money to my bank account. Even with VAT and bank fees it was a decent amount for a little bit of work. 

Alamy told me I had more eligible images than I could find in my account when they offered to do it for me, perhaps some RF sales to book publishers or magazines, and I asked them about it and they told me to use the CSV file if I was doing it myself so I sent along what I had and it worked out.  If I had a lot of RF files and Alamy told me I had significantly more eligible images than I could find myself, I'd consider giving them half, but for now it seems more prudent for me to deal with DACs directly, especially since most of this year's UK licenses are RM and I've found some ISBNs on my own. The website and the people at DACS are very helpful and easy to deal with.

Archived