Sony rx100 1 or 2 model or g7x

The rx100 I does not shoot RAW while the II does. Has this hampered those of you using the I model? There are some good sales now on the I model. I was also thinking of the canon g7x but i guess the image quality is not as good so more alamy sin bin shots if i got that. I guess there are no more viable options for a camera the same size as the sony that will pass alamy QC as well?

The RX100-s all shoot RAW, including mk1.

There's a new one: mk4 with great video. Maybe some will dump their mk2 or mk3 now.

The mk1 has no wifi and no swivel screen.

The articulated screen of the mk2 can make shooting very unobtrusive. Also allows worm's-eye view without getting your shirt all muddy. Above my head it's useable, but not great, because of the limited tilt angle.

wim

I think ill buy the model I - the price is right - $469 on sale. They want too much for used ones. I dont think i really need the viewfinder and articulating screen or wifi. That saves $200. I do like the longer zoom on the 1 and 2s. I am assuming here that the image quality on the 3 is not enough better to wait on getting a 3 or 4 model as compared to the 1.

I think ill buy the model I - the price is right - $469 on sale. They want too much for used ones. I dont think i really need the viewfinder and articulating screen or wifi. That saves $200. I do like the longer zoom on the 1 and 2s. I am assuming here that the image quality on the 3 is not enough better to wait on getting a 3 or 4 model as compared to the 1.

I find tilting screens to be really useful. Is the RX100 II that much more expensive?

I love my handy dandy RX100 I, because it's always in my pocket. Only complaint from me is that when the flash goes off, it pops up right where I'm holding the camera. Did they fix this in the II and later versions? 

I love my handy dandy RX100 I, because it's always in my pocket. Only complaint from me is that when the flash goes off, it pops up right where I'm holding the camera. Did they fix this in the II and later versions? 

The mk3 and 4 have a pop-up EVF there. The flash has moved to the middle. Not sure that would solve things.

I rarely use the flash, so I have to activate it with the Fn button first. That may not solve things for you either.

My RX-s have a long lanyard attached to the right hand side only. It wraps around my right hand twice and keeps the camera sort of tied to my hand. That way I can easily open my left hand, just keeping my thumb underneath. In low light I sometimes pull the lanyard tout with my teeth, forming a triangle.

A stick-on grip could work. Here's a DIY version. I would use gaffer tape first to try it out.

wim

wim

I have an RX100 Mk 1.  When I first got it, I bought a Richard Franiac grip.  I took the grip off later when I had to send the camera back to Sony for a warranty repair.  I never replaced the grip afterwards.  Without the grip it fits n a slightly smaller case, and holding it is secure enough with the Sony wrist "strap" - made from the finest string.

I always shoot RAW.  I never use the flash, so it is disabled in the menu.  If I ever did want to use it, I can access it via the right hand edge of the rear wheel.

Some reviewers only rate the video in the I as okay but the III being exceptional. I shoot some vodeo for pond5 but the I likely will be good enough. Does the model I have 30 sec bulb in M mode? The model I has no jack for a cable release i guess but i can use the self timer. A jack to use my remote trigger would be handy?? The model II seems to have a lot more program and special effects? Do you find them useful? And yes the model II is about $200 more.

David Kilpatrick is sorely missed at this point. ;-)

I sometimes use the handheld twilight setting he introduced me to. Otherwise I would not have known it was there or where to look for it. It's in all the models.

Video is best in mk4: 4k and very good slow motion. Only limited to 30 sec I believe. However my knowledge of video is limited: I have only used mk1 and 2 as a dashboard cam in the car and the boat.

Mk1 has bulb and 30 sec-1/2000. The same for mk2.

There is a port on the Mk1, not sure if the cable release fits/works. Never missed it: self timer 2 or 10 seconds works for me on a tiny camera like this.

(My favorite always-on tripod: Joby Micro . Only lasts a year though before the camera starts sagging. It's more like a subscription.)

DIY conventional cable release here . Alternative with velcro here.

If you're desperate, here's a mod to convert the USB port for a remote. Wow!

The Mk 2 does accept a cable, but I've used my phone with the Sony app in stead.

Here's a simple cord from usb to jack. Again, this probably does not work on the mk1, but it works on the mk2, with all cheap remotes, both cable and radio, if you don't want to use a / have no phone.

And then there's the solution these drone guys use: a simple lever that works over an RC flight controller ;-)

wim

Don't mean to change the subject, but you occasionally see ads on amazon, e-bay, etc. for "refurbished" RX100's. Sometimes for as low as $350 for the original model (mk I). I always wonder what "refurbished" actually means. Sounds risky to me. Has anyone ever taken advantage of these offers?

I bought a refurbished Epson P-7000 photo viewer. The only anomaly was a few snapshots buried deep inside. I think the company really does check things out and some people think a refurbished item has probably had more care than a new one. Now that I finally got a MacBook Air so I can use a computer and hard drives on my trips I only take my Epson viewers as backup.

Paulette

Whats the Mk1 like for passing QC at ISO settings of 800-1600? - and Wim - please tell me more about the twilight setting and when its used?

Many thanks

Kumar

Probably pushing the little RX100 Mk1 way past its limits but all the pictures I took at a concert last night are only good downsized and good for facebook sharing, Certainly no good for Alamy. I was using the scene setting so that I could get the added digital zoom which isn't available in all modes. I still don't think I'm achieving the best from it though. :(

Two previous threads about all that here:

tips

flabbergasted

Understanding Sony menu structure is maybe not as difficult as Canons', but because Sony comes from a non-photo non-pro background it can be a challenge.

Set the top dial on SCN.

Press Menu button.

Go to camera icon 5.

Press Scene Selection with the central wheel button.

Cycle through the list with the wheel.

Choose hand-held Twilight (JPG only - best of a burst) or

Night Scene (Raw - long exposure).

Night Scene settings are normal settings obtainable in M; A; and S.

Hand-held Twilight isn't. Unfortunately JPG only.

wim

Whats the Mk1 like for passing QC at ISO settings of 800-1600? - and Wim - please tell me more about the twilight setting and when its used?

Many thanks

Kumar

ISO settings of 800-1600 -

These were the main reasons for failing QC for me. But some have passed, so it can be done. 800 definitively. 1600 a lot harder: downsizing helps. 3200 I would say near impossible.

All this in low light conditions or when lifting shadows. If you have to use 1600 in good light for action, you'll have a much better chance.

wim

Archived