Sony rx100 1 or 2 model or g7x

I bought the rx100 - what resize should i make - down to 3900?

I just eyeball it. It depends a lot on how much post there was. Up to 400 iso, there's usually no reason for resizing.

However it would be a good idea, just to get a feel for the quality of the system to do some tests at say the 3 main focal lengths wide; middle and long, for the largest; average and smallest apertures.

As there have been some reports (initially) about less then perfect alignment, it would make sense to test for that too.

If you want to be perfectly certain here's a thorough, but quick setup.

For everyday use I would test using your normal shooting routine first. Maybe at first even carry and use your regular camera as well.

My own experience however: I'm using my rx-s in totally different ways than my slrs.

wim

• 1 month later...

I sold an art print to a museum gallery 12 inches x 20 inches 360 dpi black and white print from an Epson 4880 Advanced Black and White driver on canvas and gallery wrapped. They paid $2500!! what camera? Not my Hasselblad, not my Nikon D810 but the Sony RX-100.  Shot in RAW. Converted in Photoshop CC to monochrome. Using the Adobe Camera Raw grayscale conversion.  Bits of grain added in REAL GRAIN program to match a Tri-x 400 (they love that film look still, and they say they can tell the difference!). So.. its a great camera. Won the TIME award best camera for 2014 I think. I'm having one converted to Infrared and getting another for Alamy, although I saw some great IR images in the Alamy collection. Hope this all helps ....oh forgot. I only use the camera on Auto and RAW. :D

I sold an art print to a museum gallery 12 inches x 20 inches 360 dpi black and white print from an Epson 4880 Advanced Black and White driver on canvas and gallery wrapped. They paid $2500!! what camera? Not my Hasselblad, not my Nikon D810 but the Sony RX-100.  Shot in RAW. Converted in Photoshop CC to monochrome. Using the Adobe Camera Raw grayscale conversion.  Bits of grain added in REAL GRAIN program to match a Tri-x 400 (they love that film look still, and they say they can tell the difference!). So.. its a great camera. Won the TIME award best camera for 2014 I think. I'm having one converted to Infrared and getting another for Alamy, although I saw some great IR images in the Alamy collection. Hope this all helps ....oh forgot. I only use the camera on Auto and RAW. :D

Wonderful, congrats! Dandy little camera!

That's great news - well done!

You should post it in this thread: http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/3963-post-your-positive-results-here/

Michael

I've had a RX100 mk1 it was rubbish until I sent it to Sony and they fitted a new lens barrel and then it was 'ok'. I recently purchased a mk2 as my mk1 died and that was worse.

I did a bit more research and looked at the G7x, took the Mk2 back and swopped it for the Canon. What a fantastic bit of kit, soft at 24mm but brilliant after that.

No more hoping praying for a good shot due to the bizarre inconsistency of the Sonys.

Also the precise stepped aperture ring is brilliant and I love the ev dial.

No contest......it's the canon.

Archived