Photographer, Jay Maisel, sells his property in NYC and makes small fortune

Michael Ventura

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2943534/New-York-photog-pulls-one-lucrative-real-estate-deals-Manhattan-selling-Bowery-home-bought-102-000-astonishing-55-MILLION.html

Back around 1980, I interviewed with Jay Maisel to work in his studio.  He looked through my portfolio and said some very nice things but I didn't get the job.  I still remember being in awe of his space.  I must have walked past it a few times in disbelief that the address was correct.  Once inside, my mouth dropped open, it was like going into a secret photographer's hangout (photo man cave).  

Ahh. The bank. Bought in 1966 for $102,000.
I must have the door on Velvia somewhere. ;-)
(Some images of the interior of the Maisel house.)

I loved that other cool property (last sold in 2012): the house and studio that Albert Watson had build for himself. Does anyone have (a link to) pictures of the interior of that house somewhere?
I remember recognizing it (from an architecture program) when I walked back from the Riverview where we had seen the hilarious Angry Inch.
(wiki does not have the hoax about Melville in the Riverview)

The late Eddie Adams lived in a great place too. Now a swank rental studio.

wim
(mine is a tad smaller)

edit: lost a link

edit 2: Watson has sold in 2008; it's the property across the street that has been sold in 2012.

Another neighbor gone. I interviewed Jay at the bank in 1974 for this book: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-image-contemporary-photographic-photographers/dp/B00072P5FG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423356367&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=the+nikon+image+rooney

We use to have lunch in a place on Mott Street once in a while. Haven't seen him lately

model-in-evening-dress-poses-in-front-of

This is Jay's entrance, but I don't think that's Jay.

I always wanted to go inside.

I guess Jay being my friend on Facebook is not enough?

Very smart biz move for him back in the day. Where will he live? I think in NYC,the profit he made will be a nice cozy 2 bedroom condo. :-)

L

I'm fine Ed,Thanks for asking.

I recently read,"

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=marie+kondo

by Marie Kondo and I must say,I've become obsessed with decluttering and getting organized. I highly recommend this book. It's not about running off to the 'Container Store' and buying more stuff to store your stuff!

I would love to sell my condo this year and it will never sell if a buyer can't open any of my 5 closets!

I highly recommend the book. I feel so much better since getting about 1/3 of the way thru my place.

The snow in Chicago(18.9 inches) got dirty too quick to get any fun photos so I took a pass.

Now if only my place could see for 1/10th that Jay's did...Haha.,not in this lifetime!  :-)

L

Obviously this book was written especially for me. It's a wonder Ms Kondo didn't just call me or send me an email. I just bought the short summary edition. I'm not sure I can take an entire book of nagging. 

No,she doesn't nag. She seems very sweet actually! You start with the clothes first by putting everything on the floor or your bed. I put a sheet on the floor seeing as some of my clothes I think are now museum pieces that have never seen the light of day in 14 years. The,you pick up each item of clothes and if it brings you 'joy' keep it. If it does not,you need to 'Thank it for service' and sell it,throw it out or give it to charity. She has a special folding method for clothes which you can find on Pinterest by searching her name.Over 130,000 sites have done stories on her method and I think it's probably a better method for creatives that could stick.

Can't wait until I am 100% done. Right away you can feel the difference and life just feels more sane when you only have what you really love and can get at your things right away.

L

You start with the clothes first

Clothes? No problem! When I no longer want to wear something in public I wear it around the house (to save my 'public' clothes from extra wear) until it's full of holes, then I drop it in the recycle bin.

My problem is old computers and cameras, boxes and boxes of widgets and cables which, if I throw them out today, I will need tomorrow etc. etc.

Alan

My problem is old computers and cameras, boxes and boxes of widgets and cables which, if I throw them out today, I will need tomorrow etc. etc.

No problem here. I keep using them. i've only just moved on from a 2004 XP P4 (which I got for nothing in 2008) and only then because it objected to having the heatsink cleaned.

My 2007- model camera bought in 2009 only got replaced last year (with a 2010 model) because I dropped it. I then sold it on as a crash camera for £66. I even got half new price for the CF cards and a decent price for some xD cards from my flint axe days.

No problem here. I keep using them.

I've got 18 computers. I only need to use three, so the rest are either stand-bys for the three in case they break, or they're totally obsolete and might be worth something one day (long after I've gone, no doubt).

Alan

18 computers? Ms Kondo is going to have to come out and see you personally with her security enforcer team. 

I bought and read the short $2.50 version last night, more out of curiosity than seeking a path, a belief. From the long ago, when I rewrote some Nikon equipment manuals, I recognize the style that comes from Japanese being translated into English by a native Japanese speaker with English that is a learned language. 

Oddly this 'style' gives the message some weight and . . . mysticism. What I read is a combination of an advertisement and a preview. It did not sell me on buying the book. But if you feel this will help you as it seems to have helped Linda, jump on it.

Edo

It's on the NY Times Best Seller list. Reviews are great. One of my friends,an inch from being a hoarder has changed her ways since she received an advance copy in September.

I think many people,myself included keep a lot of things,'just in case.' or books that we will 'read someday' and things that just waste space that people gave us.Some of those people we probably might not even care for much.

From the many sites I've read that use her method,they've referred to her system as 'life changing' and though I am only partially completed,I really do feel less stressed with  immaculate closets(still a few closets left to go) 

I found some things stashed away I forgot I had including $200 in all of my old purses I have not used in years.

I made a few hundred dollars so far on ebay and on my building bulletin board for items I bought and never used.So,it's all good!

The best part is,I hope to sell my condo this year and buy another one. As my closets were too stuff,I know the first thing a realtor would tell me is "You'll need to work on those before I'll list it."

At least this way,when I find a place I'd like to move to then I'll be ready to go and won't have to lose weeks or months by tidying up.

L

An approach an acquaintance recently used was to tell her husband "We are going to downsize and move house before the year is out. We won't be able to move everything" She stuck at the story; she (and even her husband) got rid of a huge amount of stuff - she had no intention of moving in fact!.

Yes, a friend of mine says you have to rent a truck, fill it with everything you want to move to your new place and then just park the truck a few blocks away. Have someone cart away everything left in your apartment.

Paulette

18 computers? Ms Kondo is going to have to come out and see you personally with her security enforcer team. 

I bought and read the short $2.50 version last night, more out of curiosity than seeking a path, a belief. From the long ago, when I rewrote some Nikon equipment manuals, I recognize the style that comes from Japanese being translated into English by a native Japanese speaker with English that is a learned language. 

Oddly this 'style' gives the message some weight and . . . mysticism. What I read is a combination of an advertisement and a preview. It did not sell me on buying the book. But if you feel this will help you as it seems to have helped Linda, jump on it.

Edo

Edo,If you buy any ebook on Amazon.com you can return it in 7 days by going to 'Your Account' then, "Manage Your Kindle" and then when you see the book,it will have options. Select,'Return for refund" Your ebook will vanish and your credit card will be refunded.Ive done this several times for newer titles that were over-hyped.

L

Yes, a friend of mine says you have to rent a truck, fill it with everything you want to move to your new place and then just park the truck a few blocks away. Have someone cart away everything left in your apartment.

Paulette

I own my condo and would be charged if anything was not properly disposed of. I like much of my stuff,but admit I've grown tired or have no use for many items.The older I get,clutter and too much stuff makes me feel claustrophobic. Maybe that's why I love to travel. One suitcase and a small camera bag and I manage to not even wear all of what I packed.

L

Edo

Edo,If you buy any ebook on Amazon.com you can return it in 7 days by going to 'Your Account' then, "Manage Your Kindle" and then when you see the book,it will have options. Select,'Return for refund" Your ebook will vanish and your credit card will be refunded.Ive done this several times for newer titles that were over-hyped.

L

My god, Linda -- I had no idea! I am sooo grateful for that information! Not because I intend to buy this self-help book, I already made my decision on that. But I've bought so many unreadable books of late, and I get that message in the first chapter. The night before last I read about three chapters of a book that was said to be about the making of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue. So far, this author has just expressing his opinions about jazz and Miles. I don't need that. 

I knew Miles throughout the '50s. My sister, who I often stayed with, lived in the same building at 881 Tenth Avenue. I would not say Miles was a friend, but he called me by my first name, and was never anything but civil to me, and his then manager got me a few gigs playing trumpet. I was very young. My sister moved to LA in 1958 and I didn't see Miles after that. He made Kind of Blue in '59. Jay Maisel did the cover shot for that album cover.

Edo

L

My god, Linda -- I had no idea! I am sooo grateful for that information! Not because I intend to buy this self-help book, I already made my decision on that. But I've bought so many unreadable books of late, and I get that message in the first chapter. The night before last I read about three chapters of a book that was said to be about the making of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue. So far, this author has just expressing his opinions about jazz and Miles. I don't need that. 

I knew Miles throughout the '50s. My sister, who I often stayed with, lived in the same building at 881 Tenth Avenue. I would not say Miles was a friend, but he called me by my first name, and was never anything but civil to me, and his then manager got me a few gigs playing trumpet. I was very young. My sister moved to LA in 1958 and I didn't see Miles after that. He made Kind of Blue in '59. 

Another reason for the success of Amazon is the hassle free returns and quick shipping. What a great Miles Davis story. You have had some amazing life experiences you need to write a book!

L

Archived