Sports Illustrated Lays Off Last 6 Staffers

It's probably inevitable, the world of media is changing. I know youngsters who never read newspapers or magazines, advertisers know this and move their spend elswhere, printed media is not really sustainable anymore. IMHO.

It's probably inevitable, the world of media is changing. I know youngsters who never read newspapers or magazines, advertisers know this and move their spend elswhere, printed media is not really sustainable anymore. IMHO.

Its not just youngsters. I buy a UK newspaper 6 times a year max - I read a couple online; I do buy a local newspaper on holiday in France for the local weather but if I can sort an inexpensive French/EU SIM for my phone I won't do even that. I have reduced my purchase of magazines enormously - I only subscribe to a couple of DKs's (due for renewal|). A US magazine (LensWork) I will subscribe to the online version - might even buy a tablet to read it. Most of my book reading is on a Kindle and I only buy books that due to size and nature need print: e.g. larger format photo books.

I am a magazine junkie but haven't bought one for ages, mostly due to the high cost. The only magazine I buy with any regularity is Vanity Fair. I still like holding a magazine over a tablet.

I did subscribe to an e-magazine service here in Canada, Next Issue, but within a day or two of subscribing my email became bombarded with junk mail, I unsubscribed.  Too bad, I would have paid more if they left my email address alone.

Jill

I still read traditional newspapers, but only in coffee shops. Haven't actually bought one in years. However, many of my neighbours continue to get home-delivery of newspapers, which leads me to believe that they ain't dead yet. Most of the magazines that I used to like have either gone bust or changed beyond recognition. Also, like Jill, I usually find mags too expensive in Canada. However, I did shell out for a copy of the The Economist in December because I found one of my Alamy photos in it. :)

As far as books go, I still buy ones printed on dead trees or use the public library. Some say that books are even making a comeback. I only know one person who owns a Kindle, and I'm not sure how much she uses it. I hardly ever see anyone here in Vancouver using e-readers in public, but then you don't see people reading much these days. They are usually too busy playing with their phones.

The Times and Sunday Times are reported to be profitable with their combination of electronic and paper based media available via subscription. I write as a subscriber to the electronic edition whose presentation I quite like, but my wife hates (prefers paper). The Times appears to be drifting to the political right, or at least to the right of me, which I'm not so keen on, but that's another issue. The standard of photography in these papers is, in my view, generally very good, and they use a mix of staff people and agency images.

The Mail Online is keeping the Daily Mail afloat, with a different model based upon free internet access paid for by advertising revenue (not to mention small payments to photographers, but they do use a stack of pictures!)

What am I saying here, well those who adapt seem to be surviving.

I read and subscribe to a 7 days a week newspaper. Well....until 2 weeks ago. The paper messed up my delivery beginning in October. Maybe I'd get a paper, maybe not. As time wore into December, there were more nots than gets. I got tired of calling and being promised a re-delivery that never came. So I canceled. I'm getting a paper in my driveway ever since, except twice. I'm still cancelled. Who knew the answer to getting delivery was to cancel?

I subscribe to two photography magazines, but I noticed one of them was much thinner this time. If I don't get content, I'll drop them.

And yes, I need the newspaper. What else would I line my two birdcages with? :)

I still buy many magazines and the Sunday New York Times (SNYT).  I don't have a

calibrated monitor in my bathroom and Sunday mornings espresso does not

taste the same without the SNYT.  It is really sad and I do regret the demise

of "publishing".  I was just at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts looking at original

Karsh B&W prints.  There is a generation that has never seen an original Jim Marshal

Print of Janice or Mick.

I sound like a painter talking about photography in the early 1900's

Sorry,

Even though I do not care for American sports, IE football.

I will miss the photographers from SI

To me: Football = Soccer

I never quite understood how American football got its name, considering that the ball seldom gets kicked. Then again, I'm not much of a hockey fan either, which verges on heresy here in Canada. Hockey was a great game until too much money and too much violence ruined it. 

I never quite understood how American football got its name, considering that the ball seldom gets kicked. Then again, I'm not much of a hockey fan either, which verges on heresy here in Canada. Hockey was a great game until too much money and too much violence ruined it. 

Drifting way off topic here, but I also hate the way the money is dominating sport. I used to have a season ticket for my local football team, but the rise of the Premier League, with matches being arranged, and then re-arranged, on arbitrary days and times to suit the commercial needs of the broadcasters was the straw that effectively broke my support. Probably what remains of the Methodist in me, but I also resent the wages paid to top sports stars (not to mention bankers, miscellaneous city types, and heads of industry) that far exceed any rational sense of need. I'm all for rewarding hard work, ambition, skill and risk taking, but there has to be a limit.

I also hate watching TV polluted by adverts and there seems to be moves afoot, allegedly fueled by commercial broadcasters, to curtail the activities of the licence fee funded and advert free BBC.  

Maybe it's just old age on my part.......

Drifting way off topic here, but I also hate the way the money is dominating sport. I used to have a season ticket for my local football team, but the rise of the Premier League, with matches being arranged, and then re-arranged, on arbitrary days and times to suit the commercial needs of the broadcasters was the straw that effectively broke my support. Probably what remains of the Methodist in me, but I also resent the wages paid to top sports stars (not to mention bankers, miscellaneous city types, and heads of industry) that far exceed any rational sense of need. I'm all for rewarding hard work, ambition, skill and risk taking, but there has to be a limit.

I also hate watching TV polluted by adverts and there seems to be moves afoot, allegedly fueled by commercial broadcasters, to curtail the activities of the licence fee funded and advert free BBC.  

Too much money and too much ego have invaded sports, and the two feed off and reinforce each other. The fans are partially to blame as well IMO for putting up with it all. In Canada, CBC radio remains advert-free for the time being, but CBC television is crammed with ads (zillions of luxury car and truck ads these days as a result of failling gas prices). Thank goodness for the "mute" button. Our current Conservative government would probably love to cut funding to the CBC altogether. Luckily, there is a federal election coming up...

Too much money and too much ego have invaded sports, and the two feed off and reinforce each other. The fans are partially to blame as well IMO for putting up with it all. In Canada, CBC radio remains advert-free for the time being, but CBC television is crammed with ads (zillions of luxury car and truck ads these days as a result of failling gas prices). Thank goodness for the "mute" button. Our current Conservative government would probably love to cut funding to the CBC altogether. Luckily, there is a federal election coming up...

Sometimes internet streaming is much better than watching on your tv. I gave up my satellite tv 6 years ago and just watch via online.  Couple of years ago watched The Grey Cup (Canadian Footballs championship) streaming online via CBC and no commercials or announcers. Was weird, but more like being there. Too much noise at football games now. Not sure if they did it last year or not.

Streamed all the Olympics commercial free as well.

Boy, this topic is weaving way offside.

Jill

Sometimes internet streaming is much better than watching on your tv. I gave up my satellite tv 6 years ago and just watch via online.  Couple of years ago watched The Grey Cup (Canadian Footballs championship) streaming online via CBC and no commercials or announcers. Was weird, but more like being there. Too much noise at football games now. Not sure if they did it last year or not.

Streamed all the Olympics commercial free as well.

Boy, this topic is weaving way offside.

Jill

Yes, perhaps it's time to blow the whistle.

Regarding the laying off of Sports Illustrated photographers, does this mean no more swimsuit issue (not that I ever looked at it)?

Archived