Website solutions.

winstainforth

I use Zenfolio hosted through BlueHost.  I found the tools they offer to be flexible and intuitive and customer/tech support is excellent.  You can check out my website at: www.lynnpalmerstudio.com 

I'm sure there are other good websites building sites but if you decide to go with them you can use the following Zenfolio discount code: Discount Code:  HNC-1EC-8R4

Lynn

Hi Rob,

Photoshelter has been hosting my website for several years.

I gave some pluses and minuses near start of this A forum thread a few months ago: http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/2547-photodeck-or-photoshelter/?hl=photoshelter

If questions, don't hesitate to contact me - Ann

Hi Rob,

I use programs purchased through The Turning Gate. The selling point is that they are plugins for Lightroom, so you can work within Lightroom and then export and FTP to any reliable service provider so once you have purchased the programs you can have a customised website running for as little as $5 per month. They have a good array of presentation modes plus the ability to incorporate a cart system for print orders and digital downloads.

Chris

Currently in the middle of a 14 day trial with Format.  For showcasing work the portfolio design options are well thought out and the pricing options are reasonable too.  I've been content with a Wordpress blog for three years but am at the point of switching. Do let us know what you choose.   

If you are wanting a nice but basic site, try a Wordpress-based site - mine is a Photocrati theme (one off payment) but plenty others out there. Wordpress is very adaptable and there are literally masses of widgets as it's community based.

I've previously has a clickpic (yuk) and a Photodeck site - stock-based sites only work if you are prepared to really market them, otherwise you'll be lucky to cover costs.

However, Layerspace do produce a great product for commercial viewing - new HTML 5 designs and auto resizing for screens. Very impressive.

I use a self-crafted Joomla site (due for a major overhaul) with my online library on Photoshelter as; it was about the cheapest way, at the time, for getting a substantial amount of storage and ecomerce. I might not bother with online fulfillment (and Photoshelter) when I revamp my site as it has not been very effective, probably due to my lack of marketing effort in the past.

I've been with PhotoShelter for a number of years, and I've made some very good sales thru my website, generating more than enough income to cover the annual subscription costs. However, things started to go south last year, and I've only managed a few print sales this year. Mind you, I depend on SEO (PS offers lots of tools in this department) and haven't been actively promoting my site. I'll probably keep my PS site, though, because it is useful for managing and storing images.

For hosting I have used IPower web for ten years and they have been great.

In weeks I will also be using Photoshelter, due to my lack of understanding

of HTML

IPower is a great hosting company and they offer many things that are expensive

on other hosts.

Chuck

+ 1 for zenfolio, I have been with them for years great support and unlimited storage.

Zenfolio has a lot going for it. But I'm in the process of moving my primary site from Zenfolio because it's really bad from an SEO point of view. I have tens of thousands of photos on Zenfolio and have been with them for about five years. But another domain I only rarely use, and haven't had nearly as long (just a plain vanilla Wordpress site with hundreds of photos) has about the same amount of photos indexed by Google and Bing as my Zen site*. I still plan on keeping my Zenfolio account for the very reason you note, unlimited storage, and that I'm grandfathered in at $100/year. But Zenfolio has been really bad for stock photo search results.

* if you look at these results in the near future, they may not be valid as my site may have moved to another host as I planned

I've been with PhotoShelter for seven years but I'm considering moving to LightRocket. Like John MItchell, I've made some good sales but they went south maybe a year ago, just around the time I switched to their new Beam template. I think the Beam templates are geared more towards showcasing portfolios rather than highlighting stock. PhotoShelter does seem particularly good for wedding and event photographers who want to offer prints, at least in the US. Not so sure about other countries.

Archived