iPads..can you download memory cards to them?

I have an iMac. I have a Macbook Pro laptop.  But I've never jumped into the iPad scene, not yet, anyway.  I did take my Macbook Pro the last time I traveled, but it is on the heavy side when fitted into my carry on bag.  I'm considering getting a 64gb iPad of one sort or another.  Regular size?  Mini? iPad Air? Retina?  I didn't see that the iPad Air came in a 64gb size.

What I want to know before I make a mistake is can I download my memory cards to it?  Is there a slot?  Even so, I'm not sure that even a 64gb will be enough storage for a trip.  The Macbook Pro held everything.  And does the iPads have a memory stick slot, where I can just copy all the images from the iPad to that and then insert into my iMac when I get home?

Since getting my Fujifilm XT-1 and having a lighter kit, I would like something lighter to travel with for storage.  Lots of questions, and I don't have the answers.  I'm not interested in just having a bunch of plain storage options because with an iPad, I can use it for so much around home. I mean, doesn't just about everybody have one?  :)

I'd appreciate you all weighing in with your experiences and what you do when you travel by air.  I did buy a new camera bag for the Fuji kit.  It is a Kelly Moore Hobo model,(looks like a lady's large handbag in lavender) and has room for a tablet, but not the Macbook Pro.

Mining the minds of this forum is always a pleasure.

Ed, I remember your iPad troubles where you thought you could write on it and transition material easily to your Mac, and it didn't transition well because of the text formatting.  That's why I want to know everything I can find out first.

Betty

Hi Betty - I have the iPad Air Wi-Fi 64gb, and there's no slot for memory cards.

I had a camera connection kit for my original iPad, but don't have one for iPad Air.

There are Camera Connection Kits (from 3rd parties) compatible with iPad Air, but I haven't found a kit with strong positive reviews yet.

Checked some reviews, and the caveats seem extensive for this reader:

32GB card limit, reduces size of files (!), needs special destination folder set up, is one-way transfer so you need to use icloud/dropbox to get them from iPad:

Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD822ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader?fnode=3a

Camera Connection Kit NOT compatible with iPad Air: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit, MC531ZM/A

- Ann

Hi Betty - I have the iPad Air Wi-Fi 64gb, and there's no slot for memory cards.

I had the camera connection kit for original iPad, but don't have one for current iPad.

iPad Camera Connection Kit:  store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

Especially since I'm overdue for a new monitor, I empathize with decisions ahead of you  - Ann

Thanks, Ann!

I just saw that the iPad Air does come in 128b!  Expensive, though.  Is yours Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi/Cellular?  I wonder if getting the cellular accessability is a useful thing?

Betty, I had hoped the same thing but have not found an easy way to use my iPad to download and temporarily store images, while out on a shoot. There is one work around that I have read about but only works with SD card cameras and mine are CF only. It is called Eyefi.

http://www.eyefi.com/

The card is wifi capable and sends images to your iPad, once you download their APP.

I wish tablets were better for photography!

I'm glad to see Ann and Michael's posts, since I respect them both. I have an iPad mini . . . it's a nice toy, but I've found no serious use for this thing (I'm addicted to Virtual Pool.) Also, I got the one without 3G (?), thinking I could use the wi-fi at the library up the street. Not a good move. Most hotels have free wi-fi, of course.

There are no plug-in card slots on my mini. If I were still traveling, I'd get the 11" MacBook Air and a couple of portable HDs. Call Apple and ask some questions.  :(

You have an XT-1.  You don't need anything other than the Fuji App to download photos.  No need to remove the card from the camera.  In fact, the application also works with your Macbook Pro (check the App Store).

See the WiFi section of your owner's manual.

You can also control the camera with a second app from Fuji (select aperture, shutter speed, etc., etc) if you decide to set it on a tripod (no need for a release cable).

You have an XT-1.  You don't need anything other than the Fuji App to download photos.  No need to remove the card from the camera.  In fact, the application also works with your Macbook Pro (check the App Store).

See the WiFi section of your owner's manual.

You can also control the camera with a second app from Fuji (select aperture, shutter speed, etc., etc) if you decide to set it on a tripod (no need for a release cable).

Ahh, yes, Ed Endicott. That is true.  But that would cause me to dive into the technical stuff again.  Oh boy.  I can do it.  Just hate to, lol! 

I'm looking at the iPad Air with 128gb.  On Apple's site, there is a cable that connects from the iPad to a card reader.  Seems like maybe it was $40?  I would be more comfortable with that because it's what I'm used to.  Then a cable that connects the iPad to the iMac for transfer.

That's all I need.  Something that weighs 3/4lb that slips into my camera bag, holds my images until I get home.  If I get the iPad, I'll probably sell the Macbook Pro.

Although I like the idea of controlling the camera from the phone and not needing a remote. That would be cool.

Ed Rooney, sorry you see so little use with yours.  My sister hardly ever goes to her computer anymore since she got her iPad.  I belong to Amazon Prime, and right now don't have anything to download their free movies onto.  I think it works on iPads.  We still have the old fashioned television, not a flat screen.  If I had a flat screen, it could be configured for Amazon. 

I keep hoping our TV will blow something so I'll have a good excuse to get a flat screen, but frankly, I can't stand to toss something with a wonderful picture and perfect color. It will last longer than any flat screen, probably longer than two flat screens in a row.  It just takes up more room...but is HD capable.

Ed, I must hire you as my personal "finder".  You seem to have your fingers on the pulse of everything.  I'm a bit of a bumbler with some (not all) of that stuff.

Betty, you don't need all those cables you refer to. The SD card adapter plugs directly into the Ipad slot. The Ipad charger that comes with the tablet also connects to your IMac.

Caveat. Having completed the download from card to iPad you are given the choice of deleting from the card! Definitely hit the NO button.

Betty, you don't need all those cables you refer to. The SD card adapter plugs directly into the Ipad slot. The Ipad charger that comes with the tablet also connects to your IMac.

Caveat. Having completed the download from card to iPad you are given the choice of deleting from the card! Definitely hit the NO button.

You have iPad Retina, I'll need to check and see if the SD card adapter works on the iPad Air. 

Betty, re "I just saw that the iPad Air does come in 128b!  Expensive, though.  Is yours Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi/Cellular?  I wonder if getting the cellular accessability is a useful thing?"

I have the iPad Wi-Fi/Cellular. If your cellular carrier doesn't charge much each month to add iPad, and if you anticipate using iPad regularly outside home/hot spots, consider getting Wi-Fi/Cellular.

Or ask yourself: "Which would I regret more over next years - paying for iPad Wi-Fi/cellular & not using it, or not getting iPad Wi-Fi/cellular & then needing it?

I don't use the cellular feature on my iPad, though.

Why? Short version: Verizon charges too much to add iPad coverage. 

Long version: I thought it would be $10 extra a month to add iPad cellular, but it turned out it would be much more because I didn't have the right plan to qualify for $10 a month. I was really annoyed at both myself and Verizon I got caught that way. 

(I'm around a lot of hot spots, plus I'm pretty sure I can add iPad to cellular coverage temporarily, if necessary.)

~~~

Unfortunately an SD Adaptor wouldn't be compatible with my Nikon D4. But I'm really glad you started this thread, since I'm learning useful info about apps & more.

Ann, I decided against the cellular.  I don't want/need more charges on my plan.  And I will be using it almost exclusively at home for other things, but if I travel it will be great.  Where I go, there is always free WiFi.  All my relatives have it, and where I'm going on vacation has it.  So I won't get the cellular option. 

I've spent a good bit of time on the Apple site since they do take in devices, and issue a credit for other merchandise.  I just couldn't get it to work.  I may have to go to the Apple store.  Not sure I want to sell my Macbook Pro on eBay.  May try Craigslist. 

Ann, can't you get the card reader attachment?  I did a chat with Apple, and they said it worked for iPad Air. 

Ed, you know if you blink twice, you miss out. :)

You can buy cellular for just one month for $15. I have done that just for trips and then I cancel it when I get home. You do have to make a note of when to cancel because it will automatically renew. You probably don't need it, Betty, but some people who travel might. Also, if you have a smart phone that you use for mail and the web you might not need the cellular on your iPad.

Paulette

Hi Betty

The cellular/WIFI has GPS the WIFI version doesn't so if thats important to you consider that. i.e. mapping away from cell coverage.

regards

Jon

That's pretty neat, but smart phones also do it. Although seeing the maps on a larger device would be nice for my eyes.  (sounds like I am trying to rhyme everything in the last part of this sentence, lol "the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain)  Oh, why does my brain jump around like this?

For what it's worth, I use an old Asus netbook when travelling.  It has an SD card slot and hard drive, which is pretty much all I need.

Every day, I copy the SD card to the hard drive, where the data sits until I get home and download it from the SD card to my main computer.  I then back that up and delete the data from the Asus, ready for the next trip.

A reminder of an old rule: never bring a piece of gear on a trip that you are not totally checked out on. So, Betty, if you will be connecting apps into raps, clouding up the strawberry fraps, having pockets full of tiny laps (tops), make sure you have no weak links. I think, as poetry, that compares well with tossing paint from cans onto canvas . . . or having an elephant do it for you. 

There are lots of ways to store data. I think the iPad is not really ready for pro-photo primetime. The length of the trip is a very big factor. As I suggested, an 11" MacBook Air with a couple of small portable HDs would be best for weeks or a month. But $$$. Oh! If you are just thinking of storage, without full editing needs, look at the Asus 11.6" at Best Buy for $300 and get a small HD. A short week? A few days? Consider bring along extra Memory Cards. (You will learn [or relearn] the small amount of stuff you have to do in Windows faster than you'll learn the iPad peccadilloes.) 

B)

Betty, about card reader attachment :

"D4 accepts the XQD and CF (Compact Flash) memory Type I memory. Type II CF cards and Microdrives are not supported."

The card reader attachment wouldn't support reading XQD card, which I use a special reader for at home. I guess it would work on the CF memory Type 1 card.

(As an aside, my D4 is soon to go to Nikon Repair because CF slot doesn't work, so I'm saving both RAW and JPG Fine to XQD. Normally I save RAW to XQD card and JPG Fine to CF card, for faster saving, modified sort of back-up.)

Betty,

I don't know whether this is relevant for you, but I transfer images between my devices via wifi (also can use bluetooth) with 'photo transfer app,' it also works with pc & android & is well rated.

ann

Archived