iPads..can you download memory cards to them?

I've been to the Apple store and AT&T today.  Useful.  I was told it is best to get the cellular option, because if I ever decide I want it, it's there.  But if I don't get it and change my mind later, too late, stuck.

Not sure if I'm technically savvy enough to connect VS cell phone hot spot.  You guys blow me away.  You know I am technology challenged.  I'm amazed I've come as far as I have.  Ed Rooney and I muddle along mining minds, don't we Ed?  On my part, some things I have to get this way: Step 1, do this. Step 2, do that. 

Sometimes I wish I was left-brained instead of right.  Until I create a piece of art.

I'm going to leave now and pull the trigger on a new iPad Air, 128gb. WiFi/Cellular.  If I don't have it tomorrow, I will on Saturday.  Yippee!  And my Macbook Pro will go up for sale.

"I've been to the Apple store and AT&T today.  Useful.  I was told it is best to get the cellular option, because if I ever decide I want it, it's there.  But if I don't get it and change my mind later, too late, stuck." -- Betty

If I felt in any way competent to give advice, that is the advice I'd give.  I'm stuck with wi-fi only. (Or is it hi-fi? Or sci-fi?) 

:wacko:

The only advice I'd give is to hold onto the MacBook Pro until you are sure you are happy having only the iPad. I found my iPad to be a bit frustrating when it came to my photography. I think things have improved a lot. I have the original iPad and Apple abandoned us in terms of any upgrades. Maybe you will find a new one sufficient. Just be aware that it is not a computer.

Paulette

Use an IPad-Air, have Sd and CF card adaptors, OK with JPGS, Raw is an issue.... all good :) There are other threads on apps and uses, a quick search will find them,,,, sorry its Saturday night - too late to re-type what I have typed before... ;-) its more than just a toy Ed..... ;-)

Use an IPad-Air, have Sd and CF card adaptors, OK with JPGS, Raw is an issue.... all good :) There are other threads on apps and uses, a quick search will find them,,,, sorry its Saturday night - too late to re-type what I have typed before... ;-) its more than just a toy Ed..... ;-)

It had better accept RAW!!!  I will be using the iPad for other uses most of the time, but when I travel, I want it to hold my RAW files.  That's why I'm paying the big bucks for 128GB.   It is advertised to accept RAW.  If it doesn't, that puppy will go back.

I did enjoy holding one in my hand and seeing/feeling the size/weight. 

Paulette, good idea about holding onto the MacBook Pro until I see how I like the Air.  It would have already been listed on Craigslist except when I went to do it this afternoon, my cable provider was down for maintenance.

Mine accepts RAW but maybe it has to do with WHICH RAW. Also, now with the new ones you can even get Lightroom Lite so maybe it will suit you. I found it slow to load the images and I was frustrated by not having ways to sort them. The improvements have probably fixed that. I did have a lot of fun "playing" with various apps. The results were only good for sending to friends, though. They were small files. Much has changed so you may love it. Just wait and see before giving up having an actual computer to travel with. I have bought a MacBook Air this year.

Paulette

I think you have a new camera, Betty, so maybe check to see if they are up to date with those RAW images. At this point they probably update the iPads at the same time they update Macs for new cameras.

Paulette

Julie, Paulette, you are so helpful.  I do not plan to edit the images while on a trip or any other time.  The iPad will be used strictly as storage until I get them home to the iMac, where I do all of my editing.  I used to think I wanted to review each night, then found after a long day, I had enough to do with recharging everything, showering, going out to dinner, etc with little energy left for reviewing.

Paulette, an iPad is a new animal for me.  I won't even know how to check for updates! :)  But I'm sure I'll figure it out. The update part is probably found in the same place my other computers are.

Another question:  Can you get email on the iPad?  My sis has an older iPad for several years, and she says she doesn't get email but it just may be because she hasn't figured out how to configure it.

Now, anyone who has Macs.  How can I clean everything off of my MacBook?  I've been uninstalling Adobe CC, deleting albums from iPhoto, clearing my download folder, but yet I still have one of my photos as my desktop image.  I thought if I deleted the photo that the desktop uses, it wouldn't be there anymore.

Betty - Yes, iPad is great for getting, composing, sending email.

Have your sister click on Settings button/icon, and then scroll down and click on "Mail, contact, Calendars"...

(I had the original iPad before I went to iPad Air, and the original one worked fine for email.) 

You definitely can get email. They do make it all very easy with synchronizing with the Cloud and all. I never chose to get "Photostream" because the last thing I wanted was for my iPad to synch a gazillion photos with my home computer. As I recall the iPad comes with an instruction book already on it but I got a written one so I could sit with the book in one hand and the iPad in the other. I learn best from the written word. Now that I know pretty much the few things I want to do on it I can always go into the manual that's on the iPad to check how to do something new or something I've forgotten. If all you want to do is download the images and take a quick look at them you will LOVE it. Images look beautiful on it and you can flick though the enlarged copies very easily or just look at the thumbnails and touch any image that you want to see larger.

Paulette

Oh, Joy!  I have Happy Feet.  I assume I can read the forums and do a lot of the things I do on the MacBook.  It's supposed to be here Tuesday.  Knowing my luck, it'll come at 6 or 7 p.m.  Then I'll have to charge it.  Do I sound impatient?  Well, of course I am.  I have ordered the card reader, 2 (TWO!!) cases, a stylus, umm, I think that's all.  Bless my jewelry job.

Nice thing about this is that the sale of my MacBook will finanance the largest part of it.  I have already listed it on Craigslist with pictures, but posted that sale pending on receiving the iPad and seeing that it works out.  Invited people to get on a list for me to contact once I decide to sell.  I've already got two on the list but I think the first responder is a scammer.  Not haggling on price, wants my PayPal info, said it is for a relative overseas. Well...DUH.

I get those people and know them for who they are.  They always beg for me to ship the item. I've posted that I will only sell locally, cash only, exchange to be in a public place of my choosing.  The other guy sounds ligit.

Betty,

I don't know whether this is relevant for you, but I transfer images between my devices via wifi (also can use bluetooth) with 'photo transfer app,' it also works with pc & android & is well rated.

ann

That sounds good.  Although the guy at the Apple store said all I needed was the cable that comes with the iPad, plug it in to the iMac and transfer.

A reminder of an old rule: never bring a piece of gear on a trip that you are not totally checked out on. So, Betty, if you will be connecting apps into raps, clouding up the strawberry fraps, having pockets full of tiny laps (tops), make sure you have no weak links. I think, as poetry, that compares well with tossing paint from cans onto canvas . . . or having an elephant do it for you. 

There are lots of ways to store data. I think the iPad is not really ready for pro-photo primetime. The length of the trip is a very big factor. As I suggested, an 11" MacBook Air with a couple of small portable HDs would be best for weeks or a month. But $$$. Oh! If you are just thinking of storage, without full editing needs, look at the Asus 11.6" at Best Buy for $300 and get a small HD. A short week? A few days? Consider bring along extra Memory Cards. (You will learn [or relearn] the small amount of stuff you have to do in Windows faster than you'll learn the iPad peccadilloes.) 

B)

Our trip may be postponed for awhile. My daughter & her hubby are going with us.  Kim had foot surgery nearly 4 months ago and thought she would be healed by now.  She has rheumatoid arthritis and some foot bones had gone wonky. 

She had multiple pins inserted, was in a cast with a knee walker for a couple of months, then a boot.  One bone is not healing properly and is displaced, so she may have to have more surgery.  Meanwhile, her son's wedding is mid Sept. and it looks like she'll still be in the boot then.  I shed some tears for her Tuesday when she found out she still wasn't healing.

If she requires more surgery, we'll put the trip off from November to April or May. I want her to be as healthy as possible, able to put on fins and snorkle if she desires.

So I'll have plenty of time to get used to the iPad.  And no, hell no, I ain't gettin' anything with Windows again.  :D

Betty, you mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a problem with my iPad. Let me just remind you what it was. 

I bought a regular sized iPad to be able to get away from home and do a little writing in a park, in a bar, at a library. I bought the iPad app for Pages, Apple's word processor. I think it was just $2.00. But I found that Pages on an iPad was not the same as the Pages on my iMac. I also did not like typing on the virtual keyboard. I got panicky and returned it within the week. Looking back, I see those problems being not all that bad. 

Sure iPads have email and Internet and maps and music and you can watch videos and you'll have a very nice portable portfolio. And a camera. There are endless amounts of apps. I find the mini iPad big enough, but do get the cellular/wi-fi. 

I got out of the sin bin tonight, folks. Lock up your pets and children. 

I got out, too.  Grabbing all the soft, noisy pics and stuffing them in a folder to upload. (kidding, Alamy!)  Actually, the one that failed was not from the XT-1, but one that was taken with the RX100 indoors. A bit of noise and soft.  So they say.  I do have to agree with Alamy on this one because I wavered back and forth on it.  I should have stayed with back and left forth alone.

I need to fight my impulse to save images that aren't worth saving.  I tend to feel that I have a handful of money and should throw one note in the fire.  I want to keep it all.  Hard to let go.

Archived