I am wondering, apart from the regulars on this forum site, how many Alamy contributors actually drop in to the forums to see what is going on.

It may be that Alamy knows that out of the thousands of contributor comparatively few actually use the forums. Hence their stance on not starting an images wanted thread.

Allan

If there were an images needed thread I would only be looking at fulfilling those close to hand and reasonably easy to carry out. I'm not into excessive travel costs on the off chance.

Allan

I have more than 4200 people following me on Twitter. In addition,I am following appx 4400. There is no way I will weed thru thousands of daily Tweets to see 'photo needs' or anything else I deem worthy.

Personally I think Twitter is a vast rambling sea of muck!

L

Linda I can't help but think that if you were not following 4400 people/organisations then you might find it a little less vast and maybe less rambling and mucky. Maybe now is a good time to pare that list down a bit ? Or use a tool like Hootsuite to control and coordinate what you look for, see and indeed pass out.

Alternatively......

Set up a twitter account and only follow @AlamyContent and @AlamyNews. Set it to sms you when they tweet. Sorted :)

I follow lots of people too but I set it up to send me an SMS from the ones who tweet local news as it is breaking.

Also, you can do it on search terms or hashtags. So set it up to sms you when someone tweets with #pictureneeds.

Alex's suggestions are perfect, and indeed I do the first of these so I get the tweets sent to my phone. It doesn't cost me anything, but allows me to see the news items, and picture needs as soon as they are mentioned, and not in with everything else, nor do I have to search for them.

You don't have to tweet, or follow anyone more than Alamy if you want to take advantage of the requests - keep your head down and indeed with the sms notification not even log on to Twitter more than once. 

It is about using the powerful but simple features of the tool and not getting sucked onto the hype, following everyone and everything, or feeling you need to tweet about your breakfast.

Many of the people I follow are clients,friends,biz acquaintances or people that follow me.I also have an assistant and she does a lot of online stuff. I mainly use Twitter to post events I post or updates to my blog. I have A LOT of clients and real friends.Not bragging,it's just when you've worked with rock stars and celebrities,people wanna be your friend! ;-)   Not changing my stance. I think it's a wasteland of muck and a meaningless popularity contest that at the end of the day,who cares.

L

I don't have time to read any of them.I have 4500 Facebook friends and more than 2000 Linkedin connections.

No time for reading posts long lists of posts on any social media anyway;too painful to sit at a desk and read all that stuff. Still recouping from an arm/shoulder injury.

Text would be ok as would posting here.

L

I know, I shouldn't be surprised, but come on . . . someone has given Linda a red arrow because she isn't a Tweet/Facebook fangirl !!!!! Some folk need to get out more.

Trite I know, but I've seen you (you know who you are you lame twit) and cancelled your dummy spit with a green arrow . . .

dd

Twitter is where it's at folks! It's immediate and of the moment, just like the picture needs. We only post needs that come direct from the mouth of clients. 

Forum threads soon become outdated, can often descend into too much 'discussion' and really, if you're looking to keep up to date with whats going on in the industry, there is no doubt that using twitter can be a big help.

Having trouble separating the wheat from the chaff? Choose who your follow carefully! You can set up lists that only follow particular subjects or users and as others have mentioned you can set up alerts for certain things. There is a learning curve but our advice is to jump in and learn.

We post our twitter feed in the MyAlamy dashboard and at the bottom of the forum homepage and you can also bookmark and keep an eye on the page directly. There is no substitute for jumping in yourself though!

Oh, btw, Photoshelter do a very useful twitter guide for photographers if you want some help. 

Cheers

Alamy

I have some friends in 'high places' in radio and tv and bands and celebrities. By having a huge Twitter and social media following they've been able to negotiate their work contracts for raises and get other perks.

If someone is 'following' you on Twitter,you will only keep them for so long if you don't follow them back. Unless of course you are a major band or celebrity...

So 'watching who you follow' isn't always an option. I know I use an APP to see who has 'Unfollowed me' on Twitter and then they are automatically unfollowed as well.

It can be a silly little game,LOL!

I know, I shouldn't be surprised, but come on . . . someone has given Linda a red arrow because she isn't a Tweet/Facebook fangirl !!!!! Some folk need to get out more.

Trite I know, but I've seen you (you know who you are you lame twit) and cancelled your dummy spit with a green arrow . . .

dd

Thanks! +1 for you too!

Twitter is where it's at folks! It's immediate and of the moment, just like the picture needs. We only post needs that come direct from the mouth of clients. 

Forum threads soon become outdated, can often descend into too much 'discussion' and really, if you're looking to keep up to date with whats going on in the industry, there is no doubt that using twitter can be a big help.

Having trouble separating the wheat from the chaff? Choose who your follow carefully! You can set up lists that only follow particular subjects or users and as others have mentioned you can set up alerts for certain things. There is a learning curve but our advice is to jump in and learn.

We post our twitter feed in the MyAlamy dashboard and at the bottom of the forum homepage and you can also bookmark and keep an eye on the page directly. There is no substitute for jumping in yourself though!

Oh, btw, Photoshelter do a very useful twitter guide for photographers if you want some help. 

Cheers

Alamy

The "Canada picture needs" list that you posted here last May was very helpful. In addition to Tweeting, I hope Alamy will continue to share on the forum more extensive picture-need lists when/if you receive them. Thanks.

I would help out on this but I am not on Twitter.

Don't think you have to be a Twitter Head, Michael. I believe it would just be a matter of cutting and pasting form the Alamy Twitter feed. Here's an example:

...UK seniors in real life situations that don't look posed. Think 'of the moment' stuff, 'every day life' - not stocky/posed... #picneeds

So 'watching who you follow' isn't always an option. I know I use an APP to see who has 'Unfollowed me' on Twitter and then they are automatically unfollowed as well.

It can be a silly little game,LOL!

Me too Linda :) It's amazing how many people will follow you just so you follow them back before they stop following you.

Cheers

Alamy

Why don't you make it a sticky thread with the rule that it only contains the picture needs and no discussion allowed? The tweeters amongst us can add in the tweets when they happen and a normal thread can be started if people want to discuss it?

Archived