Adding vingnette to images. Yes or No?

A good friend of mine makes his living as a photographer for The Times and has more recently started doing weddings in a journalistic style.

I've noticed a lot of his photos have a deliberately added vignette (either that or his lenses have a severe fall-off). This is something I've seen in some images on Alamy too.

Some are subtle:

AFMP0D.jpgA0R5KN.jpg

Some not so sublte:

AF67Y2.jpg  BDG3CE.jpg

I've always left my images for stock with little processing to allow the buyer to do what they want but I'm wondering if this is something I should be thinking about for new images that I feel may benefit from it.

What do others do?

The danger is when the intended vignette looks like lens fall-off - it does to me in one of these examples especially.  I'd only add a vignette if it was part of a clear, stylistic choice that the image would benefit from. 

I often add a slight vignette so that the viewer is directed more towards the subject. My preference is to only do it very slightly so that it can barely be seen. IMO at the end of the day it is a matter of personal choice and personal style. No presentation can suit all. I guess I agree with you to leave it to the buyer.

dov

Personally, I say the 'subtle' ones are far worse - at least the vignetting in the latter two looks deliberate. The first two give me the impression of incompetence on the photographers part. 

Although not to my taste, I could see how someone could argue for its inclusion in the aircraft picture. 

Remember that the buyer can always put a vignette on the images if they want to, to take it off is more difficult. If you make a stylistic choice of using one, why not upload both images (with and without). 

I sometime burn in or lighten the corners to create an atmosphere, or direct attention.

Here is burn in for an image about depression.

E0YG5A.jpg

Here is lighter corners, lighter than the the lens correction, for a snow scene.

DNHJMA.jpg

Adding vinaigrette to images. :)

Could make a bland image more palatable?

Didn't spot the additional N in the title and it doesn't appear possible to edit a title, only the message.

Thank you all for your comments, I will keep the idea in the back of my mind when processing images but use it rarely I feel.

Next question, what is the best way to achieve a subtle result? Dodge/burn tool or feathered selection and levels or something else?

I considered this a while ago and one thing that has made me pause is the possibility that the buyer would like to re-crop the image. So I have done some but mostly don't and try to keep it subtle these days.

Paulette

Next question, what is the best way to achieve a subtle result? Dodge/burn tool or feathered selection and levels or something else?

I use the slider in Lightroom.  About 95% of my processing is done completely in Lightroom

Archived