Removing bird droppings from a statue

I was down in Toronto this past weekend and took some shots outside Roger's Centre where the Blue Jays play baseball.  There is a bronze statue of Ted Rogers and there are bird drippings down the one side.  Would you leave them in or PS them out?

Jill

Here in Vancouver, the seagulls have done a very through job of whitewashing the town. If the damage isn't too extensive, I usually remove as much of the unsightly mess as possible. Too much and I leave things alone. Statues are a tough call, though. If Mr. Rogers is really dirty, no one will probably license the image; so I'd probably try to clean him up as best you can.

I have that problem with everything I shoot on New York streets. It's a dirty city. Worse are shots of window displays and the very worst of all are pics of Peking ducks hanging in a restaurant window in Chinatown . . . a thousand greasy duck-fat spots.  I consider my subjects as romantic realism, so the trash and cigarette butts have to go.   :(

I get the  bird droppings out as much as I can, I figure if someone wanted to use a statue photo in print and BIG...Would they really want to be staring at poop on a page?

L

Leave it. If it's news/archive/reportage, then it should be left. It's supposed to be as is.  Anything else would be dishonest/unethical. If it's not for editorial and the client wants it removing then s/he needs to employ a professional retoucher. So, it still should be left. End of. LEAVE IT! :-)

Leave it. If it's news/archive/reportage, then it should be left. It's supposed to be as is.  Anything else would be dishonest/unethical. If it's not for editorial and the client wants it removing then s/he needs to employ a professional retoucher. So, it still should be left. End of. LEAVE IT! :-)

Nonsense. Yes, if it were reportage one would not retouch the image, but the lady is shooting stock, so it makes sense to clean things up . . . unless of course there's some breaking news story about birds pooping on statues in Toronto. 

Having pondered this poop crisis a bit more,here is what I'd do.I'm not much of a statue shooter but here goes. Leave one with the poop because you never know if someone could be doing an article on the damage bird droppings do to public art.The cost of cleaning,etc. Then I'd do a revised version and note that it's been cleaned up.

It's 248am..I am done thinking for the day! :-)

L

I was down in Toronto this past weekend and took some shots outside Roger's Centre where the Blue Jays play baseball.  There is a bronze statue of Ted Rogers and there are bird drippings down the one side.  Would you leave them in or PS them out?

Jill

Get up there with a bucket of soapy water and a mop. ;)

Allan

Allan, do you think you might come over to NYC for a couple of weeks with your mop and pail? I could give you a list of things to work on. 

I actually did that kind of cleanup (a broom and a scoop) in Buenos Aires when I was doing an assignment shoot there. The street cleaners were on strike. The natives thought I was nuts.  :)

Allan, do you think you might come over to NYC for a couple of weeks with your mop and pail? I could give you a list of things to work on. 

I actually did that kind of cleanup (a broom and a scoop) in Buenos Aires when I was doing an assignment shoot there. The street cleaners were on strike. The natives thought I was nuts.  :)

Was that in the days before you had Photoshop, Ed? :D

Was that in the days before you had Photoshop, Ed? :D

LOL Oh yes, Alex -- back in film days. I do it in Photoshop now like we all do. The early '80s was the last time I visited South America.   ;)

Jill

Get up there with a bucket of soapy water and a mop. ;)

Allan

Or just wait for a really good rainstorm and then hurry back before the birds do it all over again.

Only if you supply the pail, soap, water and mop aannnnd pay my first class return air fare. ;)

Allan

How would a picture of a statue be categorized here on Alamy? It is a photo but also someone elses artwork. Do you need permission from the artist or the owner to put the image on a stock site?

Only if you supply the pail, soap, water and mop aannnnd pay my first class return air fare. ;)

Allan

Hmm. I'll live with the dirt, thanks. 

I do a lot of statues and I always clean them up when possible. Things that look permanent - like dents, holes, imperfections - I leave because they are part of the statue. But anything temporary that might not be there on a different day, or after a rainstorm, is fair game.

Anyone doing a story about bird mess on statues would probably want to illustrate it with a REALLY bad example that would be impossible to Photoshop anyway.

How would a picture of a statue be categorized here on Alamy? It is a photo but also someone elses artwork. Do you need permission from the artist or the owner to put the image on a stock site?

It wouldn't be used commercially without a release, so put it up RM with no release.

Incidentally, I don't know where you are, but in the UK a photograph of a public sculpture doesn't breach its copyright. The photograph is protected by copyright in the usual way,

I work on the basis that If you sell RM and click the box to say that you don't have property clearance you should be OK. I guess with very old statues with the sculptor long (very long) dead, you might get away with RF, but I would not risk it.

Allan

Hmm. I'll live with the dirt, thanks. 

That's how I'm living at the moment, must do some housework soon! :unsure:

Allan

Archived