Alamy hosted pictures starting to appear in Google search results?

M.Chapman

I've recently noticed that some of my images are starting to show up in Google searches with Alamy website URLs.

I typed my pseudo and "www.alamy.com" (in quotes) into the Google chrome search bar and it found 3 out of my 1600 images hosted on Alamy's website.

Here's an example http://www.alamy.com/stock-photos/DH6J1D/Curved-stone-steps-in-Coton-Manor-Gardens-Coton-Manor-Coton-Northamptonshire.html

The images appear to have been selected by Alamy and the keywords have been edited. The keywords displayed appear to be a re-ordered and small subset of those I entered in the main, essential and comprehensive fields.

Is this something new? Is this a promotional drive by Alamy? I'm not sure if the selected images are in an Alamy gallery or how they are accessed normally.

Anyone else noticed similar?

Mark

I did notice a couple of mine showing up some time ago but these were images I had included in a couple of Alamy forum posts (old forum). I just assumed that was where the Google search bot got them from. Things could have changed since then however. I didn't check keywords etc.

It is Google collecting from websites. Keep looking and you will come across our avatars on Alamy forums.

They even have one of an old twin lens reflex camera I used to own as it is used as an avatar on my FAA site.

Allan

I have quite a few they have appeared in the last 3 months in that format. I have tried to bring the same view up on the Alamy site but cannot get the same view no matter what i click on.

could it be what a registered buyer sees when they zoom an image?.

Regards

Craig

It is Google collecting from websites. Keep looking and you will come across our avatars on Alamy forums.

They even have one of an old twin lens reflex camera I used to own as it is used as an avatar on my FAA site.

Allan

It's not that simple. Yes Google has found the info, but Alamy appear to have prepared some special pages with pricing and a subset of the keywords which Google is then finding.

A couple of mine are showing up in this way too and it does seem to be a specially prepared page that Google is finding. It seems to be aimed at a specific type of customer as the only quoted price is £39 for Small Business Marketing, with an option to click on a link for 'Buy for different use'.

If these are images chosen specifically by Alamy to attract Goggle searches, then they seem rather odd choices as neither of mine represent anything like what I would consider my best or most commercial work. One of them is just a plastic drainpipe 'T' junction which is well and truly in the 'I'll chuck it in the portfolio and see if anything happens' category. 

It's a good idea to promote our Alamy ports on Google, but I hope some thought is going into which images best represent the both the agency and the  photographer.

I've noticed this since last year, sometimes it will even show distribution pages, if you opted in.   

I dont think its such a bad thing for now, unless they somehow manage to turn it into a negative thing.

I agree I think it's a good thing. Alamy hosted images don't normally show up in Google searches. Maybe it's an experiment at this stage? It does seem like the keywords have been manually selected, so I don't think it's an automated process, but the choice of image seems a bit "random"

I noticed that new formatted page recently too, but for only 3 of my images. I was wondering about it.   Not sure why those 3 particular  images were picked, other than they are among my latest uploads.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photos/DT17K1/Grouse-Mountain-showing-the-ski-runs-and-The-Lions-in-the-distance.html

Three of mine show up too. All for £39 and same conditions. Maybe Alamy will come into the thread and tell us what is going on??  (Alamy Please)

Allan

Three of mine show up too. All for £39 and same conditions. Maybe Alamy will come into the thread and tell us what is going on??  (Alamy Please)

Allan

I emailed member services and got the following reply.

"This is a new route to bring new customers through to our site via Google images and for this we’ve introduced a new look comp to simplify the buying process for them."

This will be interesting to see if any of these convert into sales. Some of mine are showing up with the Alamy reference code.

Regards

Craig

Allan

I emailed member services and got the following reply.

"This is a new route to bring new customers through to our site via Google images and for this we’ve introduced a new look comp to simplify the buying process for them."

This will be interesting to see if any of these convert into sales. Some of mine are showing up with the Alamy reference code.

Regards

Craig

Thanks for posting Alamy's reply

I wish they had selected different images of mine.

Allan

I wish they had selected different images of mine.

Allan

Me too, would of been better if they allowed us to select what we feel as contributors are our best. Or maybe our most popular ones based on something like amount of view/zooms/sales  

Mine too - 10 random recents as far as I can tell. But they each have a "More" link to the rest of the pseudo.

I've long wondered why Alamy don't have a "favourite" tick box on Manage images just for us to indicate "all other things considered if you are choosing from my pictures please favour this one". 

John Crellin

Archived