August 2024 Favourite Uploads

A few new images uploaded this week. 

Its jam making time of year here..

jars-of-homemade-strawberry-jam-the-glas

a-group-of-glass-jars-containing-home-ma

Egyptian Grasshopper…

croatia-an-egyptian-grasshopper-egyptian

A white Cabbage Butterfly on a Buddleia, Butterfly Bush..

2XTK3EX.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Cherry Willingham walkers group 

cherry-willingham-walkers-group-2XW6PWK.

Grey striped cat with white face and chest

grey-striped-cat-with-white-face-and-che

Arctic Red Ivy geranium trailing from hanging basket

arctic-red-ivy-geranium-trailing-from-ha

Asphalt road roller, Rudgard Avenue, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

asphelt-road-roller-rudgard-avenue-cherr

Two octopus energy work vans, Rudgard Avenue, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England

two-octopus-energy-work-vans-rudgard-ave

Allan

• Love 2

Child hugging Elmer the patchwork elephant, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

child-hugging-elmer-the-patchwork-elepha

Cornhill market building, Sincil street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

cornhill-market-building-sincil-street-l

Double deep pink hollyhock flower

double-deep-pink-hollyhock-flower-2XWPD1

Decorated elephant statue, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

decorated-elephant-statue-high-street-li

Allan

• Love 2

On 23/08/2024 at 11:00, Allan Bell said:

Child hugging Elmer the patchwork elephant, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

child-hugging-elmer-the-patchwork-elepha

Cornhill market building, Sincil street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

cornhill-market-building-sincil-street-l

Double deep pink hollyhock flower

double-deep-pink-hollyhock-flower-2XWPD1

Decorated elephant statue, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

decorated-elephant-statue-high-street-li

Allan

Maidstone is currently full of Seans the Sheep. We had Elmer a few years ago.

17 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Wonderful. So much personality.

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. They are very bold little birds, not afraid of anything. I have seen one dive bombing a brown goshawk, a stealthy predator, while all the other little birds were hiding. The goshawk looked perturbed and nonplussed by the much smaller attacker.

3 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Maidstone is currently full of Seans the Sheep. We had Elmer a few years ago.

I did not know about this display until I went into Lincoln for something else. Only saw the two I photographed. Apparently there are 12 of them on display about the city so may capture some more if I can get into Lincoln before the middle of September.

Allan

Pedestrian boarding Walk And Ride shuttle bus, Silver Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

pedestrian-boarding-walk-and-ride-shuttl

Street entertainer playing bagpipes, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

street-entertained-playing-bagpipes-high

People queueing to be served at Greggs food and drink retail shop, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

people-queueing-to-be-served-at-greggs-f

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I did not know about this display until I went into Lincoln for something else. Only saw the two I photographed. Apparently there are 12 of them on display about the city so may capture some more if I can get into Lincoln before the middle of September.

Allan

Are they part of a charity drive? We had a lot of bears years ago. 

Paulette

18 hours ago, NYCat said:

Are they part of a charity drive? We had a lot of bears years ago. 

Paulette

Some kind of art parade.

Allan

Perhaps I could post a couple of these images in the POTM “Summer Mornings” but that topic became recently not only worthless but ridiculous. Therefore, just here.

Sunrise over the TX coastal wetlands.

2XXTGAA.jpg

A sun worship

2XXTGDA.jpg

Towards the new day

2XXTGDE.jpg

Singing to the skies

2XXTG8T.jpg

The same with a piece of the habitat

2XXTG9Y.jpg

Last year I was all of a sudden impressed by some features of the passion vine, including the bracts surrounding its buds and fruits, and strange flowers. Then I observed that only large carpenter bees, and occasionally bumble bees were feeding from these flowers, with all variety of other insects passing by and never stopping. It appears to me that the passionflower is adapted to pollination by large bees. Its pistil and stamens form a large structure on a stalk. Anthers of stamens and pistil stigmas are directed downwards, hanging above the deep narrow space filled with nectar at the base of the stalk. This structure prevents feeding of many butterflies whereas small insects just cannot reach nectar that is too deep. Conversely, large bees have right size for feeding from these flowers and pollinating them by their hairy backs. This year went back to this subject...

So, a carpenter bee approaching a passionflower

2XXTGJE.jpg

That’s how the feeding and pollination happens

2XXTGDM.jpg

Adding colors of blue sky

2XXTGN4.jpg

Edited by IKuzmin
  • Like 2

Manchester, UK, 24th August, 2024. Councillor Bev Craig, Leader of Manchester City Council and the Lord Mayor of Manchester, Councillor Paul Andrews, before parade starts. People enjoy preparations for the Manchester LGBTQ+ Pride parade in central Manchester, UK. Manchester LGBTQ+ Pride is an LGBTQ+ charity  which is organising events, including a gay village party, a big parade and an HIV vigil, in Manchester UK from 16th to 26th August 2024. Organisers say: "We’re part of a global Pride movement celebrating LGBTQ+ equality and challenging discrimination." Credit: Terry Waller/Alamy Live News. 

2XXFPJ2.jpg

• Like 1

1950's F8 Dennis Fire Water Tender, Lincolnshire Bomber Command, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

1950s-f8-dennis-fire-water-tender-lincol

1930's Morris 10 four door six light vintage car, Lincolnshire Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln city, Lincolnshire, England, UK

1930s-morris-10-four-door-six-light-vint

MG TD Midget sports car, Lincolnshire Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

mg-td-midget-sports-car-lincolnshire-bom

Brightly decorated elephant statue, Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

brightly-decorated-elephant-statue-cornh

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Yesterday, I was photographing a plastic surgeon and after the shoot, I noticed a clear box full of empty Botox vials.  I asked if I could take some pictures of it and she said yes, I put it by a window and took some snaps.

medicine-health-empty-vials-of-botox-cos

• Love 3

Tesco driver delivering to customer, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

tesco-driver-delivering-to-customer-cher

US war corespondent stood beside WWII Dodge WC51 4x4 army truck, Lincolnshire Bomber Command Centre 1940's weekend, Lincoln City

us-war-corespondent-stood-beside-wwii-do

WWII RAF Squadron Leader, Lincolnshire Bomber Command centre 1940's weekend, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

wwii-raf-squadron-leader-lincolnshire-bo

WWII British Army soldier, Lincolnshire Bomber Command Centre 1940's weekend, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

wwii-british-army-soldier-lincolnshire-b

WWII US Army Willys MB Jeep, Lincolnshire Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

wwii-us-army-willys-mb-jeep-lincolnshire

Allan

• Like 1

On 24/08/2024 at 13:54, Sally Robertson said:

A Willie Wagtail

a-portrait-of-a-willie-wagtail-rhipidura

a-portrait-of-a-willie-wagtail-rhipidura

Sally, can you send one of those Wagtails up to visit me? Can she sing? Maybe she's a dancer? 

• Love 1