May 2024 Favourite Uploads

This is Guevara. He's outside my window, about 5 feet away from where I sit at my computer, which is one reason I never get any work done.

2X8K27D.jpg

And I had to walk almost 20 yards from my front door to get this one     #Dedication

2X8BFKR.jpg

• Love 2

It is Memorial Day here in the U.S., it is when we honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice in conflicts here and abroad.  Yesterday, my history buff son and I drove to the battlefields of Manassas, Virginia.  The battle of Bull Run is considered to be the first real battle at the start of the U.S. Civil War, in 1861.  I have lived less than an hour's drive from there and can't believe this was my first time visiting.  It was hot and humid but the skies were great for photos.  Not that much to see but a couple of houses that have remained, an old stone house that was made into a makeshift hospital, during the battles, and a restored farmhouse, where a monument for the fallen was erected right at the end of the war, in 1865.

usa-virginia-manassas-united-states-civi

• Love 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

It is Memorial Day here in the U.S., it is when we honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice in conflicts here and abroad.  Yesterday, my history buff son and I drove to the battlefields of Manassas, Virginia.  The battle of Bull Run is considered to be the first real battle at the start of the U.S. Civil War, in 1861.  I have lived less than an hour's drive from there and can't believe this was my first time visiting.  It was hot and humid but the skies were great for photos.  Not that much to see but a couple of houses that have remained, an old stone house that was made into a makeshift hospital, during the battles, and a restored farmhouse, where a monument for the fallen was erected right at the end of the war, in 1865.

That looks like it was such an idyllic day Michael. I especially love the second image, particularly the composition, the colours and the clouds. Actually I particularly love the vertical one of the house and tree too.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Looks straight out of an Indiana Jones film, don't you think? So evocative and mysterious. I love this first shot.

Taha'a Island, French Polynesia

2X98D0T.jpg

2X98DG3.jpg

2X98DHE.jpg

2X98DNN.jpg

2X98DB6.jpg

2X98DA6.jpg

2X98DD2.jpg

Red tuna carpaccio, a traditional dish in French Polynesia

2X98CP0.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Looks straight out of an Indiana Jones film, don't you think? So evocative and mysterious. I love this first shot.

Taha's Island, French Polynesia

2X98D0T.jpg

2X98DG3.jpg

2X98DHE.jpg

2X98DNN.jpg

2X98DB6.jpg

2X98DA6.jpg

2X98DD2.jpg

Red tuna carpaccio, a traditional dish in French Polynesia

2X98CP0.jpg

Lovely Gen. I love the mix of old and new technology with the solar panels on the thatched roof in the sixth one. I love the look of the Red tuna carpaccio. I imagine you have had some wonderful local cuisine.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

Lovely Gen. I love the mix of old and new technology with the solar panels on the thatched roof in the sixth one. I love the look of the Red tuna carpaccio. I imagine you have had some wonderful local cuisine.

We ate out all the time and tasted a whole range of dishes. They cook wonderful fish dishes, almost all in coconut milk. The two favourite dishes there are the red tuna carpaccio and goat in coconut milk. I could carry on but, just in case, don't wish to stray from photographic subjects...

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Here to the rescue.

Country lane lined with Cow Parsley, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

country-lane-lined-with-cow-parsley-cher

Steps up to open door in Ash tree trunk, Green Lane, cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UK

steps-up-to-open-door-in-ash-tree-trunk-

Headstone in churchyard, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

headstone-in-churchyard-cherry-willingha

Sorry Alamy.  This makes it look like Alamy has passed away and we know it is not true don't we.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Here to the rescue.

Country lane lined with Cow Parsley, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

country-lane-lined-with-cow-parsley-cher

Steps up to open door in Ash tree trunk, Green Lane, cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UK

steps-up-to-open-door-in-ash-tree-trunk-

Headstone in churchyard, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

headstone-in-churchyard-cherry-willingha

Sorry Alamy.  This makes it look like Alamy has passed away and we know it is not true don't we.

Allan

🤣🤣🤣

The latest from my "camera permanently set up on a tripod next to my computer which is why I never get any work done" project:

This is Josef

2X96FER.jpg

and this is him landing on friend

2X96FET.jpg

• Love 1

A couple more from my outing last Sunday.  The downside to getting out into the countryside, both my son and I have pulled ticks of ourselves.  Don't like ticks!!  The tall grass in the battlefields is a perfect place for them to hitchhike!

usa-virginia-manassas-battle-of-bull-run

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Vietnam, Asia. Overhead view of an employee painting a blue line beside an empty swimming pool, at the Nha Trang Palace hotel.

2X7YF2H.jpg

Burgler alarm on white wall 

burgler-alarm-on-white-wall-2X96KWM.jpg

Horses in field, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

horses-in-field-cherry-willingham-lincol

Clean up dog poo sign nailed to ash tree, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

clean-up-dog-poo-sign-nailed-to-ash-tree

Wild Carrot in bloom

wild-carrot-in-bloom-2X96M4G.jpg

Safety notice on gate to building site, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

safety-notice-on-gate-to-building-site-c

Allan