May 2024 Favourite Uploads

I'll start this months thread after finding some time for uploading and keywording. I've spent most of my Alamy time, last month, deleting images, rather than uploading, following the Bild infringement problems, mentioned in another thread on the Forum. Anyway, moving on, I had a small windfall earlier in the year so I used it to buy a mint condition, second hand, Fujinon 80mm Macro lens from MPB. It's a chunky old lens but it is superb. Most of the images below were taken using the new macro lens. 

Common bracken or Fern

2X45480.jpg

Rhododendron 

2X454B3.jpg

Home baked NY Style Oreo Cookie

2X39H9X.jpg

A bespoke gold diamond ring commissioned  from a local Artisan Jeweller. 

2X39H6A.jpg

Our dogs paw after a short operation to remove a broken Dewclaw That bandage lasted about two hours before she decided to remove it !!

2X39H0M.jpg

Local Council street cleansing (An RX100 shot)

2X39GPT.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

I'll start this months thread after finding some time for uploading and keywording. I've spent most of my Alamy time, last month, deleting images, rather than uploading, following the Bild infringement problems, mentioned in another thread on the Forum. Anyway, moving on, I had a small windfall earlier in the year so I used it to buy a mint condition, second hand, Fujinon 80mm Macro lens from MPB. It's a chunky old lens but it is superb. Most of the images below were taken using the new macro lens. 

Common bracken or Fern

2X45480.jpg

Rhododendron 

2X454B3.jpg

Home baked NY Style Oreo Cookie

2X39H9X.jpg

A bespoke gold diamond ring commissioned  from a local Artisan Jeweller. 

2X39H6A.jpg

Our dogs paw after a short operation to remove a broken Dewclaw That bandage lasted about two hours before she decided to remove it !!

2X39H0M.jpg

Local Council street cleansing (An RX100 shot)

2X39GPT.jpg

Great images Steve. I shoot with Fujifilm now and the 80mm macro is the next lens I want to buy. I'm planning on selling some older lenses to fund it or I may be able to pick up a second hand one in good condition like you did. Have fun with it! It definitely opens up a whole new world.

• Love 1

Hey Sally, I’ve been really pleased with the new lens. Up until I bought the 80mm lens I was using a Fujinon 60mm 1:2 macro lens, which is also pretty good. I prefer the new lens though. 

I bought the 60mm new (the 80mm wasn’t available back then). I used it regularly, not excessively, but a couple of years ago it developed a problem with the aperture ring, making some apertures unavailable and jumping between others. It’s a common problem with that lens, apparently. I sent it back to Fuji for repair and it’s been fine since. Worryingly my XF  50-140 seems to be developing the same problem. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Hey Sally, I’ve been really pleased with the new lens. Up until I bought the 80mm lens I was using a Fujinon 60mm 1:2 macro lens, which is also pretty good. I prefer the new lens though. 

I bought the 60mm new (the 80mm wasn’t available back then). I used it regularly, not excessively, but a couple of years ago it developed a problem with the aperture ring, making some apertures unavailable and jumping between others. It’s a common problem with that lens, apparently. I sent it back to Fuji for repair and it’s been fine since. Worryingly my XF  50-140 seems to be developing the same problem. 

I have the 80 since it came out & the 50-140. Both superb.
Strange thing, one of the first lenses I bought was the 18-135. It doesn’t have the bokeh of the other two lenses & can have some CA. LR takes care of the CA. What I love about it is that it’s reasonably light & I used it almost constantly as a vacation lens. I have arthritis & have no problem with carrying it around on my camera. Wide angle to telephoto, perfect. I can stand in one spot & get two entirely different images of the same subject. I have also used it a lot for storefronts, distant to closeup. I would use the 50-140 but found I missed the wider angle.

i do use the 50-140 for tighter landscapes, like this one.

FGC811.jpg

The 18-135

2FJNYCT.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Strange thing, one of the first lenses I bought was the 18-135. It doesn’t have the bokeh of the other two lenses & can have some CA. LR takes care of the CA. What I love about it is that it’s reasonably light & I used it almost constantly as a vacation lens. I have arthritis & have no problem with carrying it around on my camera. Wide angle to telephoto, perfect. I can stand in one spot & get two entirely different images of the same subject. I have also used it a lot for storefronts, distant to closeup. I would use the 50-140 but found I missed the wider angle.

i do use the 50-140 for tighter landscapes, like this

I’ve never considered the XF 18-135 but I might do now. It’s reasonably priced over here, at about £500, for a  second hand ‘like new’ version. I use the XF 18-55mm as a travel lens and usually I either carry the 50-140 or my Sony RX100 mk6 in case I need a longer focal length. However, recently I’ve been carrying the 80mm lens around with me rather than the 50-140 and use that. Used with the XT5 I can crop quite heavily, if necessary, although I usually try to sort all that in camera and not crop. I used the 80mm for the shot below (no cropping) on Monday. It’s a similar to your top shot above. BTW I really like that blossom tree shot, superb, and envy those blue skies 

53695307826_15d0aa758b_c.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

i do use the 50-140 for tighter landscapes, like this one.

FGC811.jpg

The 18-135

2FJNYCT.jpg

Hi Steve and Betty, 

Steve, that's no good at all about the 50-140mm now developing what seems the same problem with the aperture ring. I have the same lens and it is such a high quality lens. I know I'll be very disappointed if mine ever starts doing the same. I hope Fuji can fix it for you as they did with the 60mm macro.

It's lovely to see your images Betty. Yes, I can see the advantages of the 18-135mm. I love your images of colourful flowering trees!

Steve, I think macro lenses make great walk around lenses. They are usually very sharp and can definitely be used for much more than macro. I still have my Tamron 90mm macro lens that I used with my Nikon DSLR and it is beautifully sharp. I used it quite a bit as a walk round lens. I'm keeping it until I replace it with the Fuji 80mm macro so I can still use it with the Nikon body if I want to.

• Love 1

Two recent ones from earlier this week.

The train at Busselton Jetty. I didn't realise the train driver was in the photo until I later noticed him reflected back in the front of the train wearing his overalls. The train had just returned the 1.7km from the end of the jetty which is the longest timber-piled jetty in the Southern Hemisphere.

the-red-jetty-train-known-as-the-ray-whi

The new Hilton Garden Inn recently opened in Busselton.

the-hilton-garden-inn-new-hotel-accommod

• Love 4

Up and running.

Making friends with the pigeons, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

making-friends-with-the-pigeons-high-str

Macaron Marlo stall, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

macaron-marlo-stall-high-street-lincoln-

ZIESS IKON IKONTA 35 (522/24)

ziess-ikon-ikonta-35-52224-2X43EB3.jpg

Macaroons stall fast food market, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

macaroons-stall-fast-food-market-high-st

These were uploaded on 30th April but only passed QC on May 1st.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Advertisement for Fantasy Island Skegness, Lincolnshire, England, UK

advertisement-for-fantasy-island-skegnes

Feeding the pigeons, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

feeding-the-pigeons-high-street-lincoln-

Grilled cheese shack High street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

grilled-cheese-shack-high-street-lincoln

Star-of-Bethlehem wild plant

star-of-bethlehem-wild-plant-2X49K2G.jpg

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Some photos from Saturday's May Day celebrations in Guildford. For some reason it's called a Summerpole festival, and is a little different to a May pole.

Procession up the High Street

may-4th-2024-the-guildford-summerpole-fe

Dancing in the High Street

Raising the Summerpole in front of the Castle Keep

Dancing round the pole

Meanwhile, there was also a small protest on the High Street

may-4th-2024-a-small-pro-palestine-pro-p

may-4th-2024-a-small-pro-palestine-pro-p

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Cut out figures of airmen stood in front of memorial spire, International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

cut-out-figures-of-airrmen-stood-in-fron

Memorial spire and walls, International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

memorial-spire-and-walls-international-b

Entrance to International Bomber Command centre, Canwick Avenue, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

entrance-to-international-bomber-command

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sun starburst on top of Spire, International Bomber Command, Canwick Avenue, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sun-starburst-on-top-of-spire-internatio

Sculpture of four engined bomber dropping bombs, International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sculpture-of-four-engined-bomber-droppin

View over Eastern Lincoln City, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

view-over-eastern-lincoln-city-lincoln-c

Wall of names of those who perished in WWII, International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

wall-of-names-of-those-who-perished-in-w

Spooky derelict farmhouse, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

spooky-derelict-farmhouse-cherry-willing

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Daily life in Ho Chi Minh City, which used to be called Saigon, in Vietnam, Asia. Garbage collectors clear a pile of potted plants and flowers, just taken from a closed flower display, into a garbage truck.

2X5E20M.jpg

• Like 2

Cut out figures of airmen stood in front of memorial walls, International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

cut-out-figures-of-airmen-stood-in-front

View over East Lincoln City, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-over-east-lincoln-city-lincoln-city

Memorial Wall, International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

memorial-wall-international-bomber-comma

WWII Dig for Victory poster, International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

wwii-dig-for-victory-poster-internationa

Tour of International Bomber Command Centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

tour-of-international-bomber-command-cen

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I've been travelling for 3 weeks now in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Moorea, Marquesas Islands). One more week to go.

Landscapes are out of this world, people are incredibly relaxed and friendly, it's life in the slow lane. Very refreshing. Even if they give me a funny look about my rusty French.

We had the unavoidable misadventures which add spice to travel: ended up in a ditch on a narrow mountain road when a passing car pushed us into it; High seas in the South Pacific prevented our boat to berth while waiting for it; we had to be transferred from a smaller boat onto it. Love it all, love the unexpected.

Papeete, Tahiti

2X5Y583.jpg

Typical Polynesian canoe, Papeete

2X5Y58W.jpg

Papeete

2X5Y5D5.jpg

Moorea, Hotel Sofitel Kia Ora Beach Resort

2X5Y5GB.jpg

Manava Beach Resort, Moorea

2X5Y5HG.jpg

2X5Y5JE.jpg

2X5Y5GD.jpg

2X5Y5KH.jpg

2X5Y5PG.jpg

Moorea Island

2X5Y5XB.jpg

• Love 6

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

I've been travelling for 3 weeks now in French Polynesia (Tahiti, Moorea, Marquesas Islands). One more week to go.

Landscapes are out of this world, people are incredibly relaxed and friendly, it's life in the slow lane. Very refreshing. Even if they give me a funny look about my rusty French.

We had the unavoidable misadventures which add spice to travel: ended up in a ditch on a narrow mountain road when a passing car pushed us into it; High seas in the South Pacific prevented our boat to berth while waiting for it; we had to be transferred from a smaller boat onto it. Love it all, love the unexpected.

Papeete, Tahiti

2X5Y583.jpg

Typical Polynesian canoe, Papeete

2X5Y58W.jpg

Papeete

2X5Y5D5.jpg

Moorea, Hotel Sofitel Kia Ora Beach Resort

2X5Y5GB.jpg

Manava Beach Resort, Moorea

2X5Y5HG.jpg

2X5Y5JE.jpg

2X5Y5GD.jpg

2X5Y5KH.jpg

2X5Y5PG.jpg

Moorea Island

2X5Y5XB.jpg

Hi Gen, I love these photos! It looks awesome there. I love how you absolutely enjoy everything too, including the mishaps! That is the way to live.

• Love 1

Just now, Sally Robertson said:

Hi Gen, I love these photos! It looks awesome there. I love how you absolutely enjoy everything too, including the mishaps! That is the way to live.

Thank you Sally. Yes French Polynesia is very eye candy. And people are wonderful, friendly, smiling, patient It's life in the slow lane. Off to Bora Bora tomorrow.

• Love 1

Some recent images from Cottesloe Beach in Perth, Western Australia, including the Cottesloe Beach Hotel at nightfall.

a-view-through-the-arches-of-the-indiana

cottesloe-beach-at-sunset-with-the-india

the-cottesloe-beach-hotel-on-marine-para

the-cottesloe-beach-hotel-on-marine-para

Plus one I took last year of an abandoned, dilapidated house in a rural town. I wasn't happy with my colour edited version but recently converted it to a light sepia and I like it much better that way...

a-sepiamonochrome-image-of-an-old-abando

• Love 3
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Ditto.

Paulette

• Love 2

Daily life in Ho Chi Minh City, which used to be called Saigon, in Vietnam, Asia. Nightlife on Walking Street Saigon, also called Bui Vien Street, the main street of the so called 'backpackers area' of Ho Chi Minh City. A young man or teenage boy throws flame from his mouth, fire eating or fire breathing, to solicit tips from visitors. Young people use kerosene to make flames and may burn their mouths or swallow some kerosene.

2X640XF.jpg

• Love 3

2 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

Daily life in Ho Chi Minh City, which used to be called Saigon, in Vietnam, Asia. Nightlife on Walking Street Saigon, also called Bui Vien Street, the main street of the so called 'backpackers area' of Ho Chi Minh City. A young man or teenage boy throws flame from his mouth, fire eating or fire breathing, to solicit tips from visitors. Young people use kerosene to make flames and may burn their mouths or swallow some kerosene.

2X640XF.jpg

And what damage are they doing to their lungs since they probably breathe in some of the fumes. That’s so unhealthy.

F

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

And what damage are they doing to their lungs since they probably breathe in some of the fumes. That’s so unhealthy.

From what I read, they often burn their mouths, sometimes meaning they can't eat for days, and can have stomach problems after swallowing kerosene. 

Posted (edited)

Some recent snaps.

Queen Victoria getting a wash.

Bristol, UK. 2nd May, 2024. Bristol's famous statue of Queen Victoria is cleaned by jet washing. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Summoning dragons in Glastonbury. Love to see the Health and Safety Risk assesment!

Glastonbury, UK. 5th May, 2024. Pentackle Drummers summon the Dragons. May Fayre and the Dragon procession is part of a week of celebrations to mark Beltane and May Day. The festival has its roots in early Gaelic seasonal celebrations, it fits in well with the new age community that this small Somerset town attracts. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Glastonbury, UK. 5th May, 2024. May Fayre and the Dragon procession is part of a week of celebrations to mark Beltane and May Day. The festival has its roots in early Gaelic seasonal celebrations, it fits in well with the new age community that this small Somerset town attracts. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Glastonbury, UK. 5th May, 2024. Red and White Dragons meet. May Fayre and the Dragon procession is part of a week of celebrations to mark Beltane and May Day. The festival has its roots in early Gaelic seasonal celebrations, it fits in well with the new age community that this small Somerset town attracts. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

A Well Festival in Bisley

Bisley, Glos, UK. 9th May, 2024. In a traditional Cotswold activity, children from Blue Coat primary school celebrate Ascension Day by parading through the village. The children are wearing traditional Victorian style uniforms. Flower garlands are carried to the Wells which they then decorate. The tradition started in 1863 when the Vicar, the Reverend Keble gave thanks for the villages clean water. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Bisley, Glos, UK. 9th May, 2024. In a traditional Cotswold activity, children from Blue Coat primary school celebrate Ascension Day by parading through the village. The children are wearing traditional Victorian style uniforms. Flower garlands are carried to the Wells which they then decorate. The tradition started in 1863 when the Vicar, the Reverend Keble gave thanks for the villages clean water. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Another Well ceremony, this time Randwick.

Randwick, Glos, UK. 11th May, 2024. Randick Wap is a traditional Cotswold spring celebration. The May Queen and Mayor are carried aloft at the head of a costumed procession to the ancient well. There is cheese rolling and a Fayre. The little village of Randwick sits in the Cotswolds near Stroud. With origins in medieval times the celebration died out but was revived in the 1970's by the local Vicar. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

complete with cheese rolling. That on got a bit close!

Randwick, Glos, UK. 11th May, 2024. Mayor Brian Cratchley rolls the cheese. Randick Wap is a traditional Cotswold spring celebration. The May Queen and Mayor are carried aloft at the head of a costumed procession to the ancient well. There is cheese rolling and a Fayre. The little village of Randwick sits in the Cotswolds near Stroud. With origins in medieval times the celebration died out but was revived in the 1970's by the local Vicar. Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

and to finish... fish and chips at the seaside. Waited for a seagull...

Weston-super-Mare, UK. 10th May, 2024. People are enjoying a warm day on the beach at Weston-super-Mare. Fish and chips on the promenade .Credit: JMF News/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Edited by Mr Standfast
  • Love 3
  • Like 1