My sales for personal use have dried up completely, So far this year I have had no personal use sales at all, by this time last year I had 8 PU sales. Is it just one of those anomalies, or are other contributors finding a drastic drop in PU sales?. And if so, is there any obvious reason for the drop?.

Although PU sales are not a great part of my sales and the amounts are not great, they do nevertheless add up over the course of the year, even if the subjects are sometimes dubious for personal use (death certificates, skin cream, cat flea medicine etc)

As discussed in another thread, Personal and Presentation sales appear to have morphed into Standard Licenses. I have only one PU sale this month (full price $19.99) and a bunch of "standards" for various prices up to $19.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Personal and Presentation sales appear to have morphed into Standard Licenses

If they really have done that then surely they should have A. Told us and B. Updated AIM because you can opt out of Personal Use but not Presentation sales so if they are now one and the same how does that work?.

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

If they really have done that then surely they should have A. Told us and B. Updated AIM because you can opt out of Personal Use but not Presentation sales so if they are now one and the same how does that work?.

Not sure, but it does suggest that a lot of PU and Presentation sales might not have actually been PU and Presentation sales.

P.S. To be fair, though, anonymous e-commerce customers apparently now see only the Standard and Enhanced licensing options in search results -- i.e. it seems that the Personal and Presentation use options are gone except for clients with existing accounts.

Edited by John Mitchell

• 1 month later...
On 24/04/2024 at 07:26, Phil Robinson said:

This standard license includes 'print runs up to 100,000' - hardly Personal Use

That's true. So what has happened to PU sales? My last one was on April 11th. I usually have at least 2-3 per month.

• Love 1

I still have had no personal use sales since I started this thread nearly 2 months ago and of the standard licence sales I have had non correspond to the price of personal use sales. They appear to still exist, Inchiquin reported one in this thread in april and my wife had one earlier this month but what was a steady if not spectacular income for me has now disappeared completely.

geebee

Agreed - In the 3 months March/April/May this year I have had a total of 2 personal use sales out of a total of 155 sales - 1.3%

In the same three months of 2023, I had 18 personal use sales out of a total of 179 sales- 10.05%

Kumar

My theory is that new e-commerce clients now see only the standard and enhanced licensing options -- i.e. they don't know that that the personal use option exists. If so, this must be resulting in revenue loss for Alamy and contributors. PU licenses have always been controversial. However, a lot of mine were for full price ($19.95) or close to it, so the fees were better than many other types of sales. Also, the kinds of images that licensed for PU were often different from the usual editorial ones that do well here.

Edited by John Mitchell

15 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

My theory is that new e-commerce clients now see only the standard and enhanced licensing options -- i.e. they don't know that that the personal use option exists. If so, this must be resulting in revenue loss for Alamy and contributors. PU licenses have always been controversial. However, a lot of mine were for full price ($19.95) or close to it, so the fees were better than many other types of sales. Also, the kinds of images that licensed for PU were often different from the usual editorial ones that do well here.

Just checked one of my images and the PU option is there. 

If I log out of both the forum and the Alamy website and then do an anonymous search, all I usually see are the "standard" and "enhanced" licensing options. I believe that this is what is seen by new potential e-commerce searchers who don't have an existing account.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

If I log out of both the forum and the Alamy website and then do an anonymous search, all I usually see are the "standard" and "enhanced" licensing options. I believe that this is what is seen by new potential e-commerce searchers who don't have an existing account.

That must be irritating for established customers who are expected to pay more 🙃

9 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

That must be irritating for established customers who are expected to pay more 🙃

Yes, I guess we're missing something. 😕

P.S. Forgot to mention -- it's a good idea to clear your recent browsing history/cache before doing an anonymous search.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

However, a lot of mine were for full price ($19.95) or close to it, so the fees were better than many other types of sales.

Agreed, and when getting a good number of them they often contributed $200 or more to the monthly gross total. Much missed if the revised licences aren't direct replacements, which they don't seem to.

38 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

You're right John which can't help sales. 40 Euros the cheapest option unless you commit to buying 10 images. Yikes!

1 hour ago, Tony ALS said:

You're right John which can't help sales. 40 Euros the cheapest option unless you commit to buying 10 images. Yikes!

Are Alamy/PA pricing us out of potential sales? Are individual sales uneconomic for Alamy/PA at the PU prices?

I have seen many have reported a drop in sales in these forums over the past months.

A casual buyer of an individual image genuinely for personal use is likely to look elsewhere with the micros offering images for next to nothing with this pricing.

My last new sale was 26 April (this year🙄). 

I have had a couple of unreported uses paid and an extension to a licence paid since then but I've not had this long a period without a new sale since my first sales turned up in 2020 not long after joining.

Hardly feeling optimistic or motivated to continue uploading.

I don't want to give images away either but if 40 Euros is the first thing a potential buyer sees then I'm not surprised sales have declined!!!