Need Recommendations for Macro Lens for Insects And Other Creepy Crawlies

The 1.4x converter will either increase the magnification for the same working distance or increase the working distance for the same magnification.  You need as much DOF as possible with macro so f8 will be fine.  I'd leave the converter on.

2 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

I use a (Nikon, sorry) 105mm Micro lens, sometimes with a small extension tube or 1.7x converter. 
Now I am doing a lot more video, especially where natural history is concerned. The best combination I have found is, perhaps surprisingly, one of the cheapest Nikon kit lenses - 24-200 f4-6.3 and a small extension tube. At the 200 end I can film dragonflies and butterflies at a reasonable distance and at around 50mm it can get amazingly closeups of very small insects.
I would certainly recommend extension tubes (though maybe not with a 100-400) They don't effect the image quality as filters can and used with a shortish telephoto they don't take too much light either. And they tend to be a lot cheaper than buying a new lens.

The extension tubes allow closer focusing distance too I believe. I have a set but haven't used them yet.

25 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

The extension tubes allow closer focusing distance too I believe. I have a set but haven't used them yet.

Yes, you can get in very close, depending on the lens you're using. AF works OK with mine, but I usually end up switching to MF and swaying back and forth. It usually takes several shots to get a keeper. Macro photography really isn't my thing, but it can be fun. Have yet to be stung by a bee. 🐝

2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

The 1.4x converter will either increase the magnification for the same working distance or increase the working distance for the same magnification.  You need as much DOF as possible with macro so f8 will be fine.  I'd leave the converter on.

So I won't need to go down to f/11 or f/16?

Of course now I am looking at diffusers and flashes.  I see the money flapping out the window.

Jill

I’ll echo the fact that with macro, you’ll be lucky to get 10-20 out of a hundred shots. Especially insects that move fast. Then of the ones that are sharp, you’ll lose some to bad poses you don’t like.  But it’s fun. And exhausting.

No telling how many failures I had to get this one. And you see it looks wingless!!

AXP0NN.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ll echo the fact that with macro, you’ll be lucky to get 10-20 out of a hundred shots. Especially insects that move fast. Then of the ones that are sharp, you’ll lose some to bad poses you don’t like.  But it’s fun. And exhausting.

No telling how many failures I had to get this one. And you see it looks wingless!!

AXP0NN.jpg

Great shot Betty.  If I can get 10-20 useable images out 100, I'll be thrilled.  Shooting birds in flight, I'm lucky to get a few decent shots out of 300.

Jill

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

So I won't need to go down to f/11 or f/16?

Of course now I am looking at diffusers and flashes.  I see the money flapping out the window.

Jill

There is so much info in this thread there is danger of overload.

So cutting to the chase hopefully, you don't need to use flash for modern macro photography unless you really like the effect of fill-in flash. I recall you are a Photoshop user so, instead of flash, use high ISO and Denoise in post. This can be worth around 6-8 stops in terms of shutter speed depending on the camera. In other words, let's say you need a shutter speed of 1/320 to freeze movement of an insect, then just up your ISO until you achieve that and use Denoise in ACR. I am shooting at much higher ISOs than I ever imagined possible before because of Denoise. 

I would strongly recommend getting a decent (secondhand) macro lens with stabilisation as mentioned above (Sigma or Tamron). These are designed for close-up photography (optimised for close focus unlike a normal telephoto) and make the task much much easier than using a telephoto zoom. I definitely would not use a teleconverter because of light loss and the effect on image quality. Close-up filter are never going to match a quality macro lens. Extension rings are great as they don't affect the optics but, if you buy a lens that goes to lifesize, you don't need extension rings unless you want to go super-close (true macro territory > lifesize). 

In summary, the only thing you really need to buy for high quality close-up work is a secondhand macro lens and they are not expensive. 

Edited by MDM

13 hours ago, MDM said:

In summary, the only thing you really need to buy for high quality close-up work is a secondhand macro lens and they are not expensive. 

I tried some of the screw in auxiliary lenses and extension tubes, but what really works is a 1 to 1 macro lens.  I do use a small flash for insects and flowers on windy days, with the wide angle diffuser over the flash.  Canon has some interesting macro lenses, not sure what's available now.   When I had a Nikon system, I used the VR 105mm.  My closeups of Leica bits were taken with it and studio lights.   I had one photographer tell me that VR and auto focus wouldn't work with macro.  Not so. 

Extension tubes are useful, but a genuine one to one macro is just better.  There are ways to get higher magnifications.   John Shaw's Closeups in Nature is worth having, even though it's now dated.

One to one -- size of the bug on sensor/film is the size of the bug in RL.   Larger magnifications are possible with some lenses.   A first rate macro lens can also perform well at infinity.   I used my 105mm macro as a short telephoto with good results.

Nikon made a 200 or 210mm macro lens with a long working distance useful for really skittish insects like dragonflies, but never had the cash for that.   I think anyone serious about macro but not wanting too much weight is going to be happiest with something in the 90mm to 105mm range.    This length is also a good (but perhaps too sharp) portrait lens.

2HDD389.jpg

I ordered the NISI filter.  I will see how it does.  I do like that I can easily switch from the macro to just the lens without having to switch lenses.  If I enjoy it, I will ad a dedicated macro lens later on.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2024 at 21:46, Betty LaRue said:

AXP0NN.jpg

Pity that wasp\ hover fly spoiled your flower shot😄

On 12/04/2024 at 19:58, Sultanpepa said:

That's all they do. When you focus a lens on something closer you are basically moving the lens further from the sensor. Extension tubes allow you to move it further away and therefore focus closer. You really should give them a try. They give you a whole new perspective on small things. And they are just adding space, with no effect on image quality, unlike closeup filters - unless you buy very good ones.

2 hours ago, Alexander Hogg said:

If you had been in the UK I probably would have given you my Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens as I hardly ever use it 

I'll pay shipping.

Got my NISI today.  Had a bit of fun with it, but weather is real crap today, so figured I'd put it away until tomorrow.

Jill

The Tokina atx-i 100mm f/2.8 full-frame macro lens is a very nice macro lens reasonably priced.

Mine is sharp and it has 1:1 macro reproduction and min focus distance 4.5 in. from the front element. 

Lens mounts for Canon and Nikon. Mine is an Nikon-F-mount version that I use on my Fuji X-T4 with a Fringer adapter.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/tokina/100mm-f2.8-atx-i-ff-macro/review/

Edited by Phil

12 hours ago, Nick Hatton said:

Pity that wasp\ hover fly spoiled your flower shot😄

I know! What in the world would a honeybee want with a flower, anyway? :D

• Love 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I'll pay shipping.

Got my NISI today.  Had a bit of fun with it, but weather is real crap today, so figured I'd put it away until tomorrow.

Jill

DHL has some pretty reasonable rates.   Free except for shipping is probably going to be as good a deal as you could find locally.   A good macro is sharp out to infinity.  I took my 105mm one to a falconry meet.  Could have used longer in for birds flying but fine for birds on the gloves and for birds on kills.   My current 30mm Sony macro isn't good to infinity so is macro to food only.   A good macro (Nikon, probably also Canon) is a versatile lens: short telephoto, character portraits, architectural details, dog noses, food, flowers, and fish.  If you have a good 24mm for wide, that covers most things.  

Godox has a small flash that could work as a fill flash.    The Shaw book is worth having even if it's from the film days, according to recent Amazon reviews.