Maybe - Coming soon to Alamy?

As a contributer to some of the POD sites, I was amazed to see one of them have introduced A.I. descriptions and keywords added automatically by default when you upload an image. They describe it as Automated Image Keywords And Descriptions, and it works really well. You have to tweak the descriptions as it only describes the image without adding where it is and the exact description or names of buildings, but it adds 10 really good keywords which I hadn't always thought of. It certainly saves a lot of time.

The sign of things to come?

• Like 2

Since the POD site I contribute to has added AI captioning every mountain has become ‘majestic’…. and the captions are full of superfluous romanticised fluff.  I’m not in the least bit impressed.

Mark

• Like 3

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Alamy has zero hits for 'unmajestic mountain'🫣

Lets try this...

9,168,378 on Alamy for mountain NOT majestic

317,946 on Alamy for mountain AND majestic

So, on Alamy only 3.5% of Mountains are majestic

But, upload an image of a mountain scene to this particular POD site and its AI captioning will usually add the term majestic... What defines a "majestic mountain" I wonder? Any hill that's wider at the bottom than the top?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

So why is AI denoise so good and AI keywording so rubbish?

There's a Phd in there somewhere, off you go!

G'night. 😉

IMO - AI image keywording has been trained by “harvesting” a large sample of the keyworded images out there already. Unfortunately, this training data is “contaminated” by the high proportion of badly keyworded images there are out there. Whereas AI noise reduction has been trained on pairs of images of the same scene with and without noise (e.g. pairs of images of identical scene taken at low and high ISO settings, or clean images with and without simulated noise added) so the training data is much more robust/reliable. That’s my theory anyway. For AI to work properly it’s essential to have validated training data, otherwise it’s garbage in garbage out. There’s too much misplaced confidence in AI as if it’s capable of solving any problem. Sure it can work really really well, but there are limits.

Mark

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Avpics said:
Search Term UCO Sales
Descending
Zooms Views CTR (%)
Majestic Mountain 1 0 0 200 0.00

That's one UCO, 200 views and zero zooms in the last year on AoA. Zero CTR

Probably this client was searching for the real Majestic Mountain.

I'm not that concerned about AI keywords, but much more about AI searches by clients.

wim

• Like 1

I've used ChatGPT 4 to suggest keywords and it is useful in coming up with things I hadn't thought of, but it can be hilariously wrong, too. For instance, it thought these were actual security vehicles and suggested things like "surveillance", "retail safety", "modern security", and "electric vehicles". 

"These keywords reflect the objects in the image (patrol vehicles, electric carts), their purpose (mall security, surveillance), the setting (shopping mall, mall interior), and related themes of safety and property management (retail safety, property protection). They could help the image be discovered by users interested in security services, retail management, or commercial real estate."

mall-patrol-smarte-carte-strollers-lined

Edited by Mark Scheuern

17 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

There's a Phd in there somewhere, off you go!

G'night. 😉

Programmers who knew photography and image processing wrote AI Denoise.   People market AI as a keywording solution without understanding the tenuousness of the link between images and language.  People who didn't understand what people looked for wrote keywording software for a quick buck.   People who are first rate graphics application programmers are going to work for a handful of companies that pay serious money for serious results.

22 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

One is a more difficult problem than the other. AI denoise is really good. AI keywording is going to get better very quickly. The number of things we humans do better is going to rapidly diminish. 

17 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

One is a more difficult problem than the other. AI denoise is really good. AI keywording is going to get better very quickly. The number of things we humans do better is going to rapidly diminish. 

Unfortunately, with respect to keywording I fear AI is heading in the opposite direction. Images tagged by AI are progressively contaminating the data sets used to train new AI algorithms.

Mark

• Love 1

That's an interesting problem, for sure: AI training on AI-generated data. I wonder how they're going to try to deal with that? It's easy to imagine a good deal of the content of the Internet being AI-generated in the coming years. 

On 22/03/2024 at 18:16, Paul Thompson said:

The sign of things to come?

Yes! I have been impressed enough by the results that I made an browser extension to help me go through the keywording faster. I am happy with the great majority of keywords proposed. I never got the "majestic" one, but often get the "tranquil" one. 

On 23/03/2024 at 15:09, Mark Scheuern said:

I've used ChatGPT 4 to suggest keywords and it is useful in coming up with things I hadn't thought of, but it can be hilariously wrong, too. For instance, it thought these were actual security vehicles and suggested things like "surveillance", "retail safety", "modern security", and "electric vehicles". 

"These keywords reflect the objects in the image (patrol vehicles, electric carts), their purpose (mall security, surveillance), the setting (shopping mall, mall interior), and related themes of safety and property management (retail safety, property protection). They could help the image be discovered by users interested in security services, retail management, or commercial real estate."

I have been using GPT4's Vision API as well. For that image, I get "Row of blue mall patrol carts parked inside an empty shopping center with tiled flooring and a closed store in the background", which is not accurate indeed, but also I think a better starting point than blank.

For example, I have an image of a guanaco. Close enough for me to recognize it's a guanaco. But giving it to GPT without any additional information, I was given the keywords "guanaco", "lama guanicoe", "South America", "ungulate", "mammal", "wildlife", "conservation" ... I could have come up with those myself, but definitely not as fast as with GPT assistance.

• 4 weeks later...

Following up on my last message, I have made available my Chrome extension at https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/jkeywording-stock-photo-k/fbaamhmebnjkgobokkkhkbmbacgnklop . It seems to work rather well so far.

If you're interested, check a demo video to see if you're interested in trying it. And if you do, please share feedback, thanks!

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jbphoto said:

Following up on my last message, I have made available my Chrome extension at https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/jkeywording-stock-photo-k/fbaamhmebnjkgobokkkhkbmbacgnklop . It seems to work rather well so far.

If you're interested, check a demo video to see if you're interested in trying it. And if you do, please share feedback, thanks!

Highly interesting.

Brilliant work!

I've just checked it against 10 of my images and yes it does find lots of keywords I had not considered at the time. Sometimes it even finds the exact subject. The descriptions are not too bad. If you're really bad at keywording this may well lead to sales. Especially on the micros. Maybe here as well.

wim

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jbphoto said:

I get the metadata popup but there's no way of accessing the keywords. I see no icon beside the URL window Windows 7.

Edited by spacecadet

28 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I get the metadata popup but there's no way of accessing the keywords. I see no icon beside the URL window Windows 7.

The video explains it all. I had to check a box I think for the icon to show in the task bar. Before that I had to go through Extensions. But it's not impossible the icon had been there already.

wim

edit: I use an empty document to copy/paste the keywords to.

Edited by wiskerke

21 hours ago, jbphoto said:

Works on Vivaldi after trial and error and watching the demo video. Interesting, I'll give it a whirl on some photos!

49 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

The video explains it all. I had to check a box I think for the icon to show in the task bar. Before that I had to go through Extensions. But it's not impossible the icon had been there already.

wim

edit: I use an empty document to copy/paste the keywords to.

Still can't get, or find a way to get, an icon. No box that I can see.

On 24/03/2024 at 12:02, jbphoto said:

Yes! I have been impressed enough by the results that I made an browser extension to help me go through the keywording faster. I am happy with the great majority of keywords proposed. I never got the "majestic" one, but often get the "tranquil" one. 

I have been using GPT4's Vision API as well. For that image, I get "Row of blue mall patrol carts parked inside an empty shopping center with tiled flooring and a closed store in the background", which is not accurate indeed, but also I think a better starting point than blank.

For example, I have an image of a guanaco. Close enough for me to recognize it's a guanaco. But giving it to GPT without any additional information, I was given the keywords "guanaco", "lama guanicoe", "South America", "ungulate", "mammal", "wildlife", "conservation" ... I could have come up with those myself, but definitely not as fast as with GPT assistance.

Thanks for trying it on my image. I agree, even when it's off, it can still be helpful, and most of the time it's quite good at figuring things out. And I might be imagining it but I think I've noticed an increase in quality in the last few weeks. Much of the time, it gives me keywords of the forehead-slapping, "duh, why didn't I think of that?" variety so it's indeed useful. 

I'll give your Chrome extension a try. Thank you! 

Edited by Mark Scheuern