A depressing graph

Bryan

So, it being cold outside, and wanting something to do, I decided to plot my average gross Alamy fee against year over the period 2016 to 2022.  I then used my spreadsheet's curve fit algorithm to fit a polynomial curve to the data. (Once upon a time I used polynomial curves to design diesel engine cams, so my happy space ! )

It predicts that, at the current rate of decline, the average gross sale fee will hit zero at the end of 2024.

I guess that it won't, but not a pretty picture !

21 hours ago, geogphotos said:

350 million images earning £30 million

Then take off 60% commission! 😞

You also have to factor in the dross, though. Maybe half those images will never earn a penny. That doubles the average for those that do.

Alan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

You also have to factor in the dross, though. Maybe half those images will never earn a penny. That doubles the average for those that do.

Alan

Probably not a great idea to actually do the maths on this!

Too depressing. 

Imagine going on Dragons' Den an trying to get them to back a stock photographer as a business proposition!

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2023 at 03:57, Michael Ventura said:

If I overlay my sales and revenue graphs, they would make an X.   Sales numbers going up and revenue going down.  😟

Pretty much the same for me -- us and Elon Musk. 😉

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 2

On 28/11/2023 at 03:34, Bryan said:

So, it being cold outside, and wanting something to do, I decided to plot my average gross Alamy fee against year over the period 2016 to 2022.  I then used my spreadsheet's curve fit algorithm to fit a polynomial curve to the data. (Once upon a time I used polynomial curves to design diesel engine cams, so my happy space ! )

It predicts that, at the current rate of decline, the average gross sale fee will hit zero at the end of 2024.

I guess that it won't, but not a pretty picture !

Actually, I'm being a bit alarmist. My revenue graph has been holding fairly steady (i.e. a horizontal-ish line) for the past few years, while the sales graph has been trending upward. This year is already my best year on Alamy sales-wise. Revenue will probably be similar or just above last year's. However, my CTR graph has been sloping steadily downward this year, probably because I've not uploaded many new images. Linear equations still tell the story for me. 🤓

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Actually, I'm being a bit alarmist. My revenue graph has been holding fairly steady (i.e. a horizontal-ish line) for the past few years, while the sales graph has been trending upward. This year is already my best year on Alamy sales-wise. Revenue will probably be similar or just above last year's. However, my CTR graph has been sloping steadily downward this year, probably because I've not uploaded many new images. Linear equations still tell the story for me. 🤓

When I include this year's data, following years of decline, my gross revenue has actually increased slightly, while my sales are going to be marginally down on last year. So I'm seeing a change in the curve. Net income is vastly down on the good old days however. Looking at the feedback on how people are doing, it appears that folk in the new world are achieving higher returns per sale, but I've not done the sums, it just seems that way. 

Inevitably, as I get to be longer in the tooth, and less active, the range of my new uploads is going to decline. For example we've had the first snow of the winter. In previous years I would have headed out to picturesque Durham city to get some shots, but this time I've remained local and walked to our local village to snap the weather. For the current returns,  it's not worth burning the diesel or risking the icy roads.

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

When I include this year's data, following years of decline, my gross revenue has actually increased slightly, while my sales are going to be marginally down on last year. So I'm seeing a change in the curve. Net income is vastly down on the good old days however. Looking at the feedback on how people are doing, it appears that folk in the new world are achieving higher returns per sale, but I've not done the sums, it just seems that way. 

Inevitably, as I get to be longer in the tooth, and less active, the range of my new uploads is going to decline. For example we've had the first snow of the winter. In previous years I would have headed out to picturesque Durham city to get some shots, but this time I've remained local and walked to our local village to snap the weather. For the current returns,  it's not worth burning the diesel or risking the icy roads.

I woke up to about 4 inches of snow today. Took photos out of front and back windows. Not going out yet.

Hope it clears sufficiently to get the car out to go to Tesco tomorrow for my fortnightly shopping trip.

Allan

On 03/12/2023 at 10:29, Allan Bell said:

I woke up to about 4 inches of snow today. Took photos out of front and back windows. Not going out yet.

Hope it clears sufficiently to get the car out to go to Tesco tomorrow for my fortnightly shopping trip.

Allan

We had a substantial covering of snow yesterday, but most if it disappeared overnight, while heavy rain today has washed it all away.

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

We had a substantial covering of snow yesterday, but most if it disappeared overnight, while heavy rain today has washed it all away.

Same here.

Allan