New 24Mp full-frame Nikon Zf mirrorless

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-zf-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-review

https://amateurphotographer.com/review/nikon-zf-review/

I think I could probably live with one of these, like a full-frame Fuji X-T? and with high-res multishot as well. The 2013 16MP Nikon Df DSLR tried to do something similar but was just so ugly, Nikon might have cracked it this time.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 2

43 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-zf-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-review

https://amateurphotographer.com/review/nikon-zf-review/

I think I could probably live with one of these, like a full-frame Fuji X-T? and with high-res multishot as well. The 2013 16MP Nikon Df DSLR tried to do something similar but was just so ugly, Nikon might have cracked it this time.

Looks very reasonably priced if these prices are to be believed - https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/cameras/z-fc-black-body-VOA090BE

Edited by Jansos

36 minutes ago, Jansos said:

Looks very reasonably priced if these prices are to be believed - https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/cameras/z-fc-black-body-VOA090BE

No, that's an APS-C (DX) model from 2021, very much like a Fuji of course but presumably not all that successful for Nikon, people naturally want to use Nikon lenses at their designed field-of-view so the fact that this new one is full frame should make it very popular I would think. However I believe it's going to be about £2300 in the UK. It will be expensive for what it offers I'm sure but it still might appeal.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

It's clearly aimed at a very specific market - those who like a retro look with mechanical dials, bells and whistles. I won't be buying one at any point though, not least because I don't care what my camera looks like, I care far more about what it does. 

No doubt it is an excellent camera - the sensor is the same or similar to the Z6 and Z6II so image quality will be excellent.  it adds some features inherited from the high end Z9 - much faster processor for one thing and some AF enhancements over the Z6II. It has internal 10-bit H.265 4K video which is a big advance over the internal 8-bit H.264 4K video of the Z6/Z7 family. However, I expect the Z6III, when it comes along, will be much better specced and in the same price range. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MDM said:

not least because I don't care what my camera looks like, I care far more about what it does. 

It's actually to do with how it functions, the Df was ugly because it had too many extraneous buttons so lost its genetic link to the FM2/3 which it was marketed as trying to emulate, this one is much more successful at doing so. Nikon will be wondering where they go from cameras like the D850 and now the Z7II and this would be one direction to try. I suspect that they will have put a large amount of research into it so will be careful to make sure that this camera appeals to another kind of buyer who would not consider the Z6 series.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Burrows said:

Your link is to the Nikon z fc  DX sensor The Nikon zf FX sensor is somewhat more expensive.

Whoops, my mistake. There was me thinking this is far to cheap must be an e&oe typo.

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

It's actually to do with how it functions, the Df was ugly because it had too many extraneous buttons so lost its genetic link to the FM2/3 which it was marketed as trying to emulate, this one is much more successful at doing so. Nikon will be wondering where they go from cameras like the D850 and now the Z7II and this would be one direction to try. I suspect that they will have put a large amount of research into it so will be careful to make sure that this camera appeals to another kind of buyer who would not consider the Z6 series.

I  would have to respectfully disagree here Harry. The Z7s and the D850 are 45MP cameras although they differ in functionality. The D850 is a professional level camera which can do basically anything (except quality video) from action to landscape. The AF system in the Z7 is too slow for fast action, the Z7II improved on this with a better AF system and faster processor but is not in the same league as the D850 for action.

The Z6 series are the 24MP versions of the Z7 series: amazing image quality but smaller sensors The mark II versions of both series have a second card slot which was one of the complaints about the mark I versions. The XQD and now CF Express primary cards in these cameras mark a very important difference between them and the new Zf which has an SD card slot as well as a micro SD slot and is a good indicator of the level being aimed at. It is certainly not aimed at the semi-pro or pro market. The drop from 45MP to 24MP is also very significant for anyone who is used to high MP cameras as well.

Nikon are actually marketing the recently released Z8 as the new D850 although that is understating what an incredible camera the Z8 is: functionally identical in most ways to the flagship Z9 with world leading video. So it is the Z8 that D850 upgraders will be aiming at. I have a feeling that a lot of Z7 series owners will be aiming at the same. 

The Zf is probably best considered as a niche camera.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

“The Zf is probably best considered as a niche camera”

All cameras are niche cameras. Whether you shoot weddings, portraits or sports, pick the best camera for the situation. There is no one camera fits all.

I'm intrigued with this one, but I'll wait for more info before acting on it or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

The D850 is a professional level camera which can do basically anything (except quality video) from action to landscape. The AF system in the Z7 is too slow for fast action, the Z7II improved on this with a better AF system and faster processor but is not in the same league as the D850 for action.

I'm not sure we're disagreeing, what I meant that they will need to develop new markets because the cameras you describe are very much 'top end' already. I personally think that they may well have been inspired by the success of Fuji with their 'retro' analogue controls and small size. This isn't just a gimmick, many people are drawn to cameras like that and this is not just 'old duffers'. The affluent young are turning to film and legacy film cameras but in the main they are not drawn to the 'Pro' film cameras like Canon Eos etc, no they prefer smaller nimbler cameras, indeed like the Nikon FM2 & the rather wonderful FM3a so they are likely to be interested in a digital successor. Fuji are unlikely to go to Full Frame and their X-T5 has somewhat hit the buffers in terms of MP for APS-C and so they have their Medium Format cameras which are very popular with the advertising, fashion and 'Fine art' market.

You haven't been able to buy a new Fuji X100V from a dealer for many months, you have to join a waiting list so I think Nikon could do well by introducing this new direction. Leica almost went out of business but then came in with the APS-C M8, the rest is history as it were. Of course certain professional photgraphers still use them but their main market is probably successful professional businessmen of all ages, and I don't mean professional photographers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

“The Zf is probably best considered as a niche camera”

All cameras are niche cameras. Whether you shoot weddings, portraits or sports, pick the best camera for the situation. There is no one camera fits all.

I'm intrigued with this one, but I'll wait for more info before acting on it or not. 

I meant niche in the sense of the sort of person who is likely to buy it, not its functionality. Apart from those who actually like knobs and dials, and the older sentimental ones who miss their FM2s and  similar, I don’t think I would be far off the mark in thinking fashion accessory. 

And I would argue that the Z8 and Z9 are pretty close to one size fits all do everything cameras (the size and weight of the Z9 notwithstanding). 

10 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I'm not sure we're disagreeing, what I meant that they will need to develop new markets because the cameras you describe are very much 'top end' already. I personally think that they may well have been inspired by the success of Fuji with their 'retro' analogue controls and small size. This isn't just a gimmick, many people are drawn to cameras like that and this is not just 'old duffers'. The affluent young are turning to film and legacy film cameras but in the main they are not drawn to the 'Pro' film cameras like Canon Eos etc, no they prefer smaller nimbler cameras, indeed like the Nikon FM2 & the rather wonderful FM3a so they are likely to be interested in a digital successor. Fuji are unlikely to go to Full Frame and their X-T5 has somewhat hit the buffers in terms of MP for APS-C and so they have their Medium Format cameras which are very popular with the advertising, fashion and 'Fine art' market.

You haven't been able to buy a new Fuji X100V from a dealer for many months, you have to join a waiting list so I think Nikon could do well by introducing this new direction. Leica almost went out of business but then came in with the APS-C M8, the rest is history as it were. Of course certain professional photgraphers still use them but their main market is probably successful professional businessmen of all ages, and I don't mean professional photographers.

I agree with most of this Harry. My main argument was that it is not aimed at the pro or semi-pro market. If it gets new people into the Nikon Z system, then fantastic. Nikon are making truly amazing cameras and lenses now but they were late to mirrorless and to video so went down relative to Sony in terms of popularity and getting younger users. They are certainly making up for lost time in technology and very competitive pricing. 

I still have an FM3A which I have not used in a long long time. Maybe I should take it for a walk one day soon. 

Nice niche.

Looks as good as chocolate cake. I like it, but then I like Fuji's with their nobs and bells.

Talking to a chap a while back about the new Canon mirrorless, he pointed out it had a snowflake button.* I replied that my Fuji

had a hipster button. which ones that he said? All of them I replied...

Guess you had to be there.

How about this for a retro; a twin lens reflex with medium format sensor, like Vivian Maiers Rolleiflex.

If the makers really want to go retro, then take out all the video stuff! Gets popcorn, sits back.

*No idea.

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

I don’t think I would be far off the mark in thinking fashion accessory. 

In general I I'd say I much prefer easy access clearly labelled knobs and dials over nested menus, 4 way controls and multi-function buttons with tiny labels. That being said I currently own a Lumix G100 and Sony RX100 Mk3, neither of which are good in that respect. Mmmm... maybe I need a new camera, or I just disproved my own argument.

Mark

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

My main argument was that it is not aimed at the pro or semi-pro market.

I agree and I didn't mean to suggest that it was but I see that I might have done, but I think the market they are aiming at might be a significant one. The FM3a is going for around £750 on ebay!

14 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

How about this for a retro; a twin lens reflex with medium format sensor, like Vivian Maiers Rolleiflex.

I agree, how lovely that would be, a digital full frame TLR, and the design does have a significant impact on the character of the images that are taken with it which cannot currently be simulated digitally. But unfortunately I think that is a niche that will forever be film, a 56mm x 56mm sensor would be unaffordable. So special actually - Robert Doisneau, Cecil Beaton, Lee Miller, early Don McCullin, David Bailey etc. etc., there's a lovely Jane Bown book of her Rolleiflex images before she went to the Olympus OM1.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MDM said:

I meant niche in the sense of the sort of person who is likely to buy it, not its functionality. Apart from those who actually like knobs and dials, and the older sentimental ones who miss their FM2s and  similar, I don’t think I would be far off the mark in thinking fashion accessory. 

And I would argue that the Z8 and Z9 are pretty close to one size fits all do everything cameras (the size and weight of the Z9 notwithstanding). 

You're right about missing their old Nikons. I had a twinge of nostalgia when I first heard about this camera.

I gave away my F3 to a friend's son, who was getting into film photography. It still hurts a bit, but it has a good home now. 😢

49 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I agree and I didn't mean to suggest that it was but I see that I might have done, but I think the market they are aiming at might be a significant one. The FM3a is going for around £750 on ebay!

Mmm.  Do they actually sell for that? I got a quote a few years ago over the phone from Grays of Westminster and they were talking not very much unless it was really mint and boxed. I always keep boxes nowadays but I don’t know where the box for the FM3A has gone. I decided to keep it. Maybe I should try selling it. I’ve never used eBay but I might see if I can sell it through Ffordes by commission sale. My Z7 and Z6 are heading that way soon so I can get a Z8. I did trade in a couple of FM2s for a D850 but I got very little for them. 

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

In general I I'd say I much prefer easy access clearly labelled knobs and dials over nested menus, 4 way controls and multi-function buttons with tiny labels. That being said I currently own a Lumix G100 and Sony RX100 Mk3, neither of which are good in that respect. Mmmm... maybe I need a new camera, or I just disproved my own argument.

Mark

I find the Nikon menus really easy having used them for so long. I can pick up any Nikon DSLR or mirrorless and get going within a minute or two. They remain remarkably consistent even as new features are added. I may not know exactly where something is but I know where to find it. The Sony RX100 is a nightmare in comparison, moreover because the camera is so tiny.